Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Default Where could I buy bulk amounts of a single size of hex wrenches ?

Where could I buy bulk amounts of a single size of hex wrenches ? Say 10-15
at a time ?
Thanks !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Sehr

I used to buy 100 at a time from MSC. Then I would dump them on a newspaper
and spray paint each size a different color then I would tell my employees
give me a red one or what ever color I needed.

Jim
"pogo" wrote in message
Where could I buy bulk amounts of a single size of hex wrenches ? Say
10-15
at a time ?
Thanks !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dick

H/F usually has a number of sizes of cheap, single wrenches and sockets for
sale.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at

"pogo" wrote in message
Where could I buy bulk amounts of a single size of hex wrenches ? Say
10-15
at a time ?
Thanks !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

"Dick" wrote in message
. ..
H/F usually has a number of sizes of cheap, single wrenches and sockets

for
sale.
Dick

Seems like everything I'm doing these days comes back around to them in one
form or another ...
Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message
I used to buy 100 at a time from MSC. Then I would dump them on a

newspaper
and spray paint each size a different color then I would tell my employees
give me a red one or what ever color I needed.

I Googled "MSC" ... you mean MSC Industrial Supply Company ?
Thanks for the info!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Default just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!

I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

pogo wrote:
I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

OK, I'll bite.
100 of what?

And if you are a spammer, I'll hunt you down
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Dick" wrote in message
. ..
H/F usually has a number of sizes of cheap, single wrenches and sockets
for sale.
Dick

Bondhus and Unbrako tend to last the longest at work, Eklind are alright but
not great. I can't imagine a hex key from H/F would be very enjoyable to
use. Twisting, coming out of screws under force, breaking, buggering the
screw, etc.

I've been hit a couple of times (in the face once) by buggered hex keys
coming out of SHCSs. YMMV.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Rex B "":

pogo wrote:
I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

OK, I'll bite.
100 of what?

So -- Thunderbird does not honor the "References: " header to
keep track of threads where the subject line changes? (Granted, that
can be somewhat of a pain sometimes, when somebody thinks that he is
creating a new thread just by changing the "Subject: " header, but
overall, it is good to be able to backtrack through subject changes.

I didn't bother to go back to his article to see what he used to
post it, but given the lack of any quoting, I suspect that it may have
been Google.

As it turns out -- he got 100 of a single size Allen key, for
whatever reason. I've bought similar quantities in the past, so I could
supply a wrench with each example of a product that I made at that time
which needed an unusually small one. (For 2-56 setscrews, if it
matters.)

And if you are a spammer, I'll hunt you down

He didn't include a URL in the article, did he? Not much point
to spam without some way of finding out what the product is. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Rex B "":

So -- Thunderbird does not honor the "References: " header to
keep track of threads where the subject line changes?

It does. You have to select the thread view display.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

pogo wrote:
I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

OK, I'll bite.
100 of what?
And if you are a spammer, I'll hunt you down

I can't STAND spammers, so no worries there.

I ordered 100 5/32" hex key wrenchs from MSC.

I'm using OutlookExpress to read and post to the newsgroups. My reader still
shows the start of this thread. Sometimes when I click on Get Headers I'll
end up seeing the start of thread that was missing before. Also, OE has an
option to display "complete conversations" (entire thread) vs not doing it.
Maybe that will help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

... I've bought similar quantities in the past, so I could
supply a wrench with each example of a product that I made at that time
which needed an unusually small one.

That's exactly what I did. I am creating some robotics kits and I wanted to
be able to supply an appropriate wrench with each kit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Warner

"Robin S." wrote:

Bondhus and Unbrako tend to last the longest at work, Eklind are alrightbut
not great. I can't imagine a hex key from H/F would be very enjoyable to
use. Twisting, coming out of screws under force, breaking, buggering the
screw, etc.

Back in the days when 80 meg disk drives cost $15000 and weighed 500
lbs, I had to loosen a lot of very tight 3/16 countersunk allens.
They ate up my Xcelite wrencnes after a few applications. Then I
bought a snap-on kit, and, after several hundred more of those screws,
using a cheater bar, coming loose with a loud crack every time, the
wrench only shows a light burnishing of the tip,,

I suspect a HF item wouuld have twisted into a pretzel before the
screw budged.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy~

A hundred what.....pounds of dirt, pounds of swarf, nuts, bolts.,
spikes , LED's..condoms?????????????????????

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:59:32 -0500, "pogo"
wrote:
I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

Okay, but when replying to an established thread don't change the
Subject: line in the headers. Go down in the message body and write
your reply down there, trimming original content when necessary.

I had to go click on one of the Message-ID numbers in the
about - it popped back to the post in the old thread.

(Razzle-fratzing Outhouse Distress users...) ;-P

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce Barnett

"pogo" writes:

I Googled "MSC" ... you mean MSC Industrial Supply Company ?
Thanks for the info!

I contacted them and asked for the free catalog.
It arrived the NEXT DAY! All 4600 pages of it.

And then my PO Box got a copy as well. Some times some companies are
just TOO helpful.

Just had a great experience with Enco as well. I was calling them to
track a package that hadn't "moved" in 4 days. They sent a duplicate
the next day - and then the first one arrived. I send the duplicate back
at their cost. Excellent service.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

Okay, but when replying to an established thread don't change the
your reply down there, trimming original content when necessary.

I figure the heading is there for informational purposes, so I utilized it
to give more info on the content of the message itself. I just use Outlook
Express for newsgroups, currently, but evidently different newsgroup readers
treat the information differently & don't group a thread accordingly if the
subject line changes. Bad programming! OE keeps it all together, so I wasn't
aware of how it messes up eveyone else's newsreader.

My apologies!

But on the other hand, you must have been pretty bored to go figure out
where my message belonged! :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

I contacted them and asked for the free catalog.
It arrived the NEXT DAY! All 4600 pages of it.

Cool! I sent for one too, when I placed my order.

And then my PO Box got a copy as well. Some times some companies are
just TOO helpful.

Just had a great experience with Enco as well. I was calling them to
track a package that hadn't "moved" in 4 days. They sent a duplicate
the next day - and then the first one arrived. I send the duplicate back
at their cost. Excellent service.

I'll have to look them up, too! Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

I suspect a HF item wouuld have twisted into a pretzel before the
screw budged.

Any opinions on the quality of those from MSC? I ordered the cheapest I
could because these are supposed to be complimentary and shouldn't ever need
more than firm tightening.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"pogo" wrote in message
.. .

Any opinions on the quality of those from MSC? I ordered the cheapest I
could because these are supposed to be complimentary and shouldn't ever
need
more than firm tightening.
Thanks!

I have no comments on the keys you purchased. However, you typically get
what you pay for.

I assemble machines at work and cheap machines include cheap hex keys,
period. If you're not too worried about repeat customers or word-of-mouth
referrals, you should be fine.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

pogo wrote:
pogo wrote:
I just ordered a 100 for about 9 bucks!
Thanks ! Great tip!

OK, I'll bite.
100 of what?
And if you are a spammer, I'll hunt you down

I can't STAND spammers, so no worries there.

I ordered 100 5/32" hex key wrenchs from MSC.

I'm using OutlookExpress to read and post to the newsgroups. My reader still
shows the start of this thread. Sometimes when I click on Get Headers I'll
end up seeing the start of thread that was missing before. Also, OE has an
option to display "complete conversations" (entire thread) vs not doing it.
Maybe that will help.

If I've not checked a group in a few days, I'll get a dialogue box that
says "There are 1122 new messages. Retrieve _____ headers?"

If I don't have time go wade through that many, I may just select the
last 400 or so. Might have been what happened, but I don't think that
was the case here.

Shrug

Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

"Rex B" wrote in message
pogo wrote:
pogo wrote:
[...]

What reader do you use ? Just curious.
( One of these days I will be trying something different than OE, but for
now it's just convenient. )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

"pogo" wrote in message
.. .

Any opinions on the quality of those from MSC? I ordered the cheapest I
could because these are supposed to be complimentary and shouldn't ever
need
more than firm tightening.
Thanks!

I have no comments on the keys you purchased. However, you typically get
what you pay for.

I assemble machines at work and cheap machines include cheap hex keys,
period. If you're not too worried about repeat customers or word-of-mouth
referrals, you should be fine.

Well, I do want both good word-of-mouth and repeat customers. The keys just
arrived today and for the use of assembling the kit I offer they seem to be
OK. There are only 8 hex bolts in the entire kit. I will be using them
throughout the week to see how it goes with them. If they bend, warp or
break they will go straight in the trash! ( ... and I will know not to get
*those* again! )

Shipping for these was high priced. Cost more than the items themselves. But
it arrived fast! ( maybe I selected 2-day shipping and didn't realize it )

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to pogo :
"pogo" wrote in message
.. .

Any opinions on the quality of those from MSC? I ordered the cheapest I
could because these are supposed to be complimentary and shouldn't ever

[ ... ]

Shipping for these was high priced. Cost more than the items themselves. But
it arrived fast! ( maybe I selected 2-day shipping and didn't realize it )

MSC almost always arrives the next day when I phone in an order
in the evening (assuming that the next day is a weekday, not a weekend).

I don't think that they do any slower shipping -- except with
things too heavy to send via UPS.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pogo

MSC almost always arrives the next day when I phone in an order
in the evening (assuming that the next day is a weekday, not a weekend).

I don't think that they do any slower shipping -- except with
things too heavy to send via UPS.

Good to know. Thanks!