Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

Default Guess the cause of the accident?

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:
... lay the skin-flap back/pinch the cut open, put
the drop directly on the raw meat of one side ...

What about bleeding? How do you get adhesion with all the blood?

Doesn't seem to have any impact that I've noticed, and I've used it for
both "bleeding like a pig" and "practically bloodless" wounds, with good
results. Don't ask me the science behind it... All I can say for certain
(and all I care about when I use it) is "it just works". Maybe it's
magic?

(Of course, I wouldn't expect it to work too well for arterial bleeding,
but if you've got something like that going on, you've likely got more
problems than a drop of super glue will be able to fix, and need to
either be dialling 911, or otherwise making your way to a pro ASAP!)

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:37:37 -0800, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Sealed and sterile sutures can be purchased on Ebay occasionally for
about $3-5, or about $6 from medical supply companies. Tell em its for
veternary care of your livestock. Barbed wire ya know.

Hemostats are handy for this. Sterilized in alcahol of course.

Alcohol is a ****-lousy sterilizing agent, being truly effective against
only a few minor pathogens. Iodine solution is a *MUCH* better choice.

Very true. I keep a couple quarts of betadine solution around the
homestead..but most folks have alcohol handy. And frankly..if you wash
it pretty well with dish soap...then give it a run over an open flame
on the stove..shrug

But..unless the wound is huge and wide open..most of the time,
butterflys work pretty good, and a smidge of super glue does too.

Super glue was CREATED for exactly this purpose, and practically works
miracles. I can't count the number of times I probably should have had a
sawbones sink a few stitches, but made do with super glue instead. Quite
a few surgical patients and accident victims have had the wounds closed
with it over the years, too.

Most recent was chopping onions one night for stroganoff. I managed to
misplace a finger, and next thing I knew, I'd laid open the side of my
left middle finger to the bone betwen the back of the nail and the first
joint, with a big ol' flap of meat hanging from it. And hurt? Sweet
mercy, did it ever - Take my word for it: Onion juice in a cut is *NO*
kind of fun! Thankfully, it bled like a stuck pig, so the burning
stopped in fairly short order, but while it lasted... Hoooo, BABY, light
my fire!

Friend of the family who's an EMT desperately wanted me to make the trip
to the ER to have it stitched up. No way I was going for that. Washed it
out, added a drop of super glue and a tight gauze wrap, slipped a
surgical glove on to keep it dry, and I was back in business 15 minutes
later.

I caught hell about "putting too much of myself into my cooking" every
time I walked into the kitchen for weeks afterwards.

Today, I've got a "crescent moon" scar there that looks like somebody
drew it on with paint a shade lighter than the surrounding skin, using
the edge of a razor blade as the brush - It's so hair-line fine that
it's all but invisible.

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default quick treatment for burns was Guess the cause of the accident?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:26:23 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner
wrote on Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:20:17 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:09:21 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Personally, I'll strap up a cut, no problem - but burns I have a lot
of respect for. They can turn nasty pretty quick.ANd crush injuries?
to the doc RIGHT AWAY. Insurance or no insurance.

A burn like that..immediately soak your hand in a glass/bowl of
icewater. ASAP!!!

Keep it soaking for as long as you can stand it

I've seen the "instant ice" packs, pop the inner bag, shake well, apply
to injury and good googly moogly is that cold. (I field tested this after
I hit my thumb stamping a fixture. Despite a solid hit, no bruising. And
I need to replace that pack.)

So, would something like that be effective if you've no ice handy?
(Well, yes, as some cold beats no cold.:-) )

It is interesting the number of tool boxes on the floor with at least a
box of bandages in them. Mine are in the top compartment. Tend to "be in
the way" but, but I know where they are.

tschus
pyotr

Without spending a half hour researching why ice cold water really
works on burns if done Immediately...Ill leave that up to you.

However...I once witnessed a friend of my dads, lean back against the
deep fat fryer in his restuarant..and drive his hand and arm, nearly
up to the elbow, into the fryer. Dad went over the counter and pulled
the now frozen cook out, while screaming at me to fill a plate tray
with icewater and immediately stuck the now screaming dudes arm in.

To make a long story short..there was only a faint fadeing to the
shade of his arm skin tone a week later.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

wrote:

[...]

I know it works. "I'm a machinist not a doctor!"

However...I once witnessed a friend of my dads, lean back against the
deep fat fryer in his restuarant..and drive his hand and arm, nearly
up to the elbow, into the fryer. Dad went over the counter and pulled
the now frozen cook out, while screaming at me to fill a plate tray
with icewater and immediately stuck the now screaming dudes arm in.

To make a long story short..there was only a faint fadeing to the
shade of his arm skin tone a week later.

Good for everybody.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Tom Miller"
wrote on Sat, 18 Feb 2006 23:38:32 +1100 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in
It is interesting the number of tool boxes on
the floor with at least a
box of bandages in them. Mine are in the top
compartment. Tend to "be in
the way" but, but I know where they are.

I've got a spray can of "instant bandaid" on a
shelf over my workbench. I hate it when the usual
minor scrapes and scratches drip blood onto your
work. A quick spray of this stuff stops it and
seals it off from dirt It stays on for a few days,
then just sort of disappears as you wash your
hands.

I hate it when you get cut and bleed on the parts - makes them hard to
sell.

I'll look into the "bandage in an spray can", too. I've been using
bandages and tape to do the same. I flipped piece of "downfall" and it left
some nasty little nicks in my fingers. The really nasty part is that
coolant gets in there and stings!

Yesterday was the company health fair. I went to have the blood tests
done (Cholesterol & Glucose), and the gal talking the blood for the
Cholesterol did a good job, and when I mentioned I was next for the Glucose
test she said "Well, go now and you won't have to get stuck again." Bit of
amusement all around, and the Glucose gal said "Ho, looks like you've
enough for everybody's blood test." Me thinks that Cholesterol lady hit a
vein, and not just the usual capillaries. :-) (Oh yeah, and the results
were "good": Cholesterol is 200, but Glucose is 83. "I can live with
that." Going to have to, aren't I?)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"Gunner" wrote in message

Without spending a half hour researching why ice cold water really
works on burns if done Immediately...Ill leave that up to you.

I was taught that this approach was vital, in order to simply "get the heat
out of the tissue" before it could actually wreak its havoc.

Ice itself being no good, because it doesn't make sufficient contact and
burns in its own right. Flowing cold water to remove the heat ASAP is the
ticket indeed.

Still hurts like buggery when you stop, 'though.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:41:02 GMT, Gunner wrote:

However...I once witnessed a friend of my dads, lean back against the
deep fat fryer in his restuarant..and drive his hand and arm, nearly
up to the elbow, into the fryer. Dad went over the counter and pulled
the now frozen cook out, while screaming at me to fill a plate tray
with icewater and immediately stuck the now screaming dudes arm in.

To make a long story short..there was only a faint fadeing to the
shade of his arm skin tone a week later.

Gunner

I did something like that thirty something years back as a 16 year old. I must
have had a low blood sugar (diabetic). I'd cooked myself some chips (fries)
for lunch and had eaten them. Then being a good lad, I'd poured the fat out of
the pan back into the jar where it was kept.

Unfortunately I missed and poured it all over my hand. I put the pan down,
went to the sink and poured cold water on my hand. Small problem... We used
lard in the chip pan. I ended up with a layer of solid pork fat on my hand
insulating the burn underneath it.

I scraped the fat off with an eating knife and kept pouring the cold water
over it for some time, then I walked the three miles to the doctor's surgery.
They sprayed on some of the, benzocaine containing, cooling spray that was
quite new then to kill the pain and wrapped a burn dressing around it. On the
way home I stopped at the chemists shop and got some for myself.

The burn had covered a large part of my hand and the skin fell off that area
and re-grew, but these days you can only tell where is was if you look very
closely.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:13:38 -0800, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:
... lay the skin-flap back/pinch the cut open, put
the drop directly on the raw meat of one side ...

What about bleeding? How do you get adhesion with all the blood?

Doesn't seem to have any impact that I've noticed, and I've used it for
both "bleeding like a pig" and "practically bloodless" wounds, with good
results. Don't ask me the science behind it... All I can say for certain
(and all I care about when I use it) is "it just works". Maybe it's
magic?

(Of course, I wouldn't expect it to work too well for arterial bleeding,
but if you've got something like that going on, you've likely got more
problems than a drop of super glue will be able to fix, and need to
either be dialling 911, or otherwise making your way to a pro ASAP!)

What happens to the glue when the wound heals? Is it absorbed by the
body? Work its way to the surface?
Randy
--
Randy Replogle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Randy Replogle wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:13:38 -0800, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:
[...]

I'd assume it must get absorbed, since I've never seen any clear sign of
it "working its way out" when I've used it on myself. Or perhaps it DID
work out, but I just didn't notice... Hard to say for sure. Next time,
I'll have to see if I can make a for-sure determination, I guess. Just
don't expect me to be doing any intentional self-inflicted wounds so I
can make the observations!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:
Washed it
out, added a drop of super glue and a tight gauze wrap, slipped a
surgical glove on to keep it dry, and I was back in business 15 minutes
later.

What's the correct procedure? Apply the glue into the cut or just over
the surface?
Randy

This article implies you'd best keep it as much out of the cut as
possible:

http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic375.htm

"In learning to apply tissue adhesives, the most important concept is
that they are for topical closure only. Give special care to ensure
the adhesive will not leak between the wound edges. If used properly,
the adhesive acts as a strong bridge to hold the well-opposed wound
edges together. If placed in the wound, it acts as a barrier to proper
epithelialization* and may slow healing. Once in the wound, the
adhesive also has the potential to cause a foreign-body reaction and
to increase the risk of infection."

*?
http://www.plasticsurgery.org/medica...ounds-Heal.cfm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

wrote:
[...]

* Growth of skin, needed to close the wound.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:37:58 -0800, "/." wrote:

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Yo Yo string?

I saw a friend pull off his class ring right after it arched over to
the frame working on a live starter cable, took all the skin off and
he didn't say more than five cuss words.

Ya, but how many times?

Stupid shop accident Nick Silva Woodturning 7 August 1st 04 03:08 AM
Worth a try, I guess... Phil UK diy 0 April 26th 04 02:16 PM
I guess I'm part of the problem Tom Gardner Metalworking 94 November 30th 03 09:39 PM