Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
/.

Default Guess the cause of the accident?

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tm

Ouch.

Sure hope your not a republician. The democraps around here will be calling
for the grand jury for you having an accident.

"/." wrote in message
. ..
A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

I want to look at your link, just like I want to look at the link posted on
Hobart's forum regarding a angle grinder accident, but I just can't do it.
The sight of blood makes me absolutely sick.

"/." wrote in message
. ..
A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"AL" wrote in message
I want to look at your link, just like I want to look at the link posted

on
Hobart's forum regarding a angle grinder accident, but I just can't do it.
The sight of blood makes me absolutely sick.

Chuckle!

You should be able to handle this one, then. Looks like a ring came in
contact with something electrical-----no blood involved. A red ring around
the finger----skin fully intact. I'd say it's rare to medium rare, but
only on the surface.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
/.

I want to look at your link, just like I want to look at the link posted

on
Hobart's forum regarding a angle grinder accident, but I just can't do
it.
The sight of blood makes me absolutely sick.

Chuckle!

You should be able to handle this one, then. Looks like a ring came in
contact with something electrical-----no blood involved. A red ring
around
the finger----skin fully intact. I'd say it's rare to medium rare, but
only on the surface.

Harold

That is what I thought it looked like as well! Hence the photos and the
posting.

Actually it was a tall cafe americano from an espresso stand at our local
grocery store. I purchased the americano for my wife and a latte for
myself, turned around and realized that my wife wasn't behind me anymore,
stacked both drinks in my right hand to move the shopping cart and over the
americano went. Stupid reactions did me in, I stuck my left hand out to
catch it and the top came off emptying the contents right onto my hand. I
wear a simple platinum wedding band and am guessing that it retained a bunch
of the heat energy (or just allowed the coffee to pool up) and directed it
into my finger, which is why the burn is so much deeper where the ring sat.
Reactions again - I shook the coffee off and yanked the ring off... that is
when I decided that a trip to the ER was in order since it took a fair chunk
of the skin with it as I yanked the ring off.

All in all a *really* stupid way to hurt oneself. I now know that an
americano is made by mixing a shot or two of espresso with boiling water,
and exactly what dumping a cup of nearly boiling water onto your hand feels
like. I also have a little more empathy for that lady the sued McD's over
the coffee in the lap episode, and no, I would never even consider trying to
sue someone else for my own stupidity.

For you guys giving me gump for hitting the ER over such a 'minor' issue - I
have good health insurance, why not use it when I need it? Once every 9
year or so isn't too bad of a record!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:36:11 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "/."
quickly quoth:

For you guys giving me gump for hitting the ER over such a 'minor' issue - I
have good health insurance, why not use it when I need it? Once every 9
year or so isn't too bad of a record!

BECAUSE EVERYONE WHO PAYS FOR INSURANCE HAS TO COVER YOUR STUPIDITY
WHEN THEY MAKE THEIR MONTHLY PAYMENTS. That's why not.

You chose the $1,000 fix when a $5 one would have done just as well.
(Box of cloth bandaids and a tube of Bacitracin, done in 5 minutes.)

Are you still proud of yourself? Do you work for our gov't, perchance?

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:10:21 -0600, AL wrote:
I want to look at your link, just like I want to look at the link posted on
Hobart's forum regarding a angle grinder accident, but I just can't do it.
The sight of blood makes me absolutely sick.

It's not that bad. Well, I should qualify that by saying I've been an
EMT for a dozen years, so "not that bad" from me could mean pretty much
anything. But it's not that bad, my guess is chemical burn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Ya pansy. I hurt myself worse shaving every morning.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

/. wrote:
A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carneyke

That's why companies require the removal of jewelry / watches when
working on equipment. Wifie gets angry when I forget to put it back on.
Who would want me anyway ? Sigh.......
/. wrote:
A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

carneyke wrote:

That's why companies require the removal of jewelry / watches when
working on equipment. Wifie gets angry when I forget to put it back on.
Who would want me anyway ? Sigh.......
/. wrote:

I stopped wearing any and all jewelry
about 30 years ago. Except my wedding
band when I go out of town.

My wife was once an electronics tech
and she's fine with it.

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa

/. wrote:
A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

I'm guessing you shorted out a car battery using your wedding band,
maybe an alternator replacement? From the skin damage I would guess
that it was not the back of your hand that did the shorting.

I note you wrote "was wearing". Any damage to the wedding band? I've
seen noticable chunks get molten etc in similar shorts on hand tools.
Did the band stay on to the emergency room or what?

That's gonna hurt for a while till all the skin comes back... I've
gotten similar burns on the palm of my hand and it gets worse before it
gets better. Surprisngly no scarring (maybe because I was younger at
the time?)

Tim.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , /. says...

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

The technical term is:

Ring Avulsion.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

/. wrote:
A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

I theenk........

1) You were 1500 miles away from home on a business trip, sipping your
third nightcap at 11:30PM in the hotel bar.

2) A knockout blonde ambled in and parked her georgeous fanny onto a
barstool two seats to the right of you.

3) In your haste to ditch that wedding ring into your pocket, and with
your hands out of sight under the bar, you yank so hard on it that the
friction burns your skin.

QED

Jeff (DAMHIKT)

PS If it was on a more private part of your anatomy I would have had an
opportunity to offer this limerick:

There once was a young man from Gruel,
With a rosy red ring 'round his tool.
He went to the clinic.
Said the doctor, a cynic,
"That's only some lipstick you fool!"

JW

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

/. wrote:

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

You go to the ER because of that!?
Say, what do you do if you _hurt_ yourself? Have an emergency funeral?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ConcreteArtist

That's nothing - last week I popped a welding rod into one ear and it
came out the other. No trip to the emergency room - I just left it in
place. Great reception on my iPod.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:37:58 -0800, "/." wrote:

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Yo Yo string?

I saw a friend pull off his class ring right after it arched over to
the frame working on a live starter cable, took all the skin off and
he didn't say more than five cuss words.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk

Sunworshipper wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:37:58 -0800, "/." wrote:

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Yo Yo string?

I saw a friend pull off his class ring right after it arched over to
the frame working on a live starter cable, took all the skin off and
he didn't say more than five cuss words.

Was that all he knew?

jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:37:58 -0800, "/." wrote:

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

Yo Yo string?

I saw a friend pull off his class ring right after it arched over to
the frame working on a live starter cable, took all the skin off and
he didn't say more than five cuss words.

Ya, but how many times?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
"/." wrote:

A moment of inattention Sunday afternoon lead to my first visit to the
emergency room in about 9 years.

Graphic photos of a fresh injury, not too bad though:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/ouch/default.htm

Metalworking content: I was wearing a wedding band...

So, you gonna spill what your (rather minor-looking) stupid was, or
leave us guessing?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Stupid shop accident Nick Silva Woodturning 7 August 1st 04 03:08 AM
Worth a try, I guess... Phil UK diy 0 April 26th 04 02:16 PM
I guess I'm part of the problem Tom Gardner Metalworking 94 November 30th 03 09:39 PM