Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

Default quick treatment for burns was Guess the cause of the accident?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:41:02 GMT, Gunner wrote:

However...I once witnessed a friend of my dads, lean back against the
deep fat fryer in his restuarant..and drive his hand and arm, nearly
up to the elbow, into the fryer. Dad went over the counter and pulled
the now frozen cook out, while screaming at me to fill a plate tray
with icewater and immediately stuck the now screaming dudes arm in.

To make a long story short..there was only a faint fadeing to the
shade of his arm skin tone a week later.

Gunner

I did something like that thirty something years back as a 16 year old. I must
have had a low blood sugar (diabetic). I'd cooked myself some chips (fries)
for lunch and had eaten them. Then being a good lad, I'd poured the fat out of
the pan back into the jar where it was kept.

Unfortunately I missed and poured it all over my hand. I put the pan down,
went to the sink and poured cold water on my hand. Small problem... We used
lard in the chip pan. I ended up with a layer of solid pork fat on my hand
insulating the burn underneath it.

I scraped the fat off with an eating knife and kept pouring the cold water
over it for some time, then I walked the three miles to the doctor's surgery.
They sprayed on some of the, benzocaine containing, cooling spray that was
quite new then to kill the pain and wrapped a burn dressing around it. On the
way home I stopped at the chemists shop and got some for myself.

The burn had covered a large part of my hand and the skin fell off that area
and re-grew, but these days you can only tell where is was if you look very
closely.

Mark Rand
RTFM