Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default HF portable bandsaw.

I just got a portable band saw for $59 from HF. I really like it even with the blade it
came with(which suppose to suck) it beats my hacksaw!
There is only one problem with it - it is very LOUD. Much louder than when using angle
grinder with cutoff wheel. Is it suppose to be like that?

Thanks,
Alex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Alex" wrote: clip) it is very LOUD. Much louder than when using angle
grinder with cutoff wheel.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I bought one of those several months ago, to serve as a backup to my
Milwaukee portable band saw. It is noisier than the Milwaukee--I think it
is mostly gear noise--not surprising, considering the huge difference in
price. It is hard to judge how loud your is from the angle grinder
comparison, since that will depend on whether you are working on a large,
thin piece of sheet metal or a small heavy piece of steel.

However, the HF saw works really quite well, and I decided not to worry
about the noise. One difference I find a little troubling: the Milwaukee
starts up very smoothly. The HF one, even though it has variable speed,
jumps into action, requiring a little more care to start the cut properly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Alex wrote:
I just got a portable band saw for $59 from HF. I really like it even
with the blade it came with(which suppose to suck) it beats my hacksaw!
There is only one problem with it - it is very LOUD. Much louder than
when using angle grinder with cutoff wheel. Is it suppose to be like that?

Thanks,
Alex

I just used my HF portable band saw about two hours ago to cut off a two
inch length of 1-1/4" chromed brass sink drain pipe and I don't recall
being bothered by the noise at all.

Unless you're planning on using it for breaking and entering, the noise
shouldn't be a big deal. G

Why was I cutting drain pipe on new year's day you ask?

Well, we got a few inches of snow here in Red Sox Nation last night and
teen aged son didn't slip away fast enough, so I nailed him into
shoveling off the front path and steps before he left.

When I next saw the snow shovel he'd used the plastic hand grip was
lying next to it, with the part which slips over the top of the wooden
handle split down both sides. The OD of that part was a light drive fit
into the inside of the drain pipe and the rest is left as a not very
difficult excercise for the reader.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John P.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 19:00:16 GMT, Alex wrote:

I just got a portable band saw for $59 from HF. I really like it even with the blade it
came with(which suppose to suck) it beats my hacksaw!
There is only one problem with it - it is very LOUD. Much louder than when using angle
grinder with cutoff wheel. Is it suppose to be like that?

Alex,

Mine is not nearly as loud as you describe yours being. Just to be on
the safe side you might want to take that one back and exchange it for
another. If you got one with a faulty motor the noise could be the
first warning sign before failure.

John P.