Donald Maclean

Default portable bandsaw mills

I am going to purchase a portable band saw mill. I am considerind woodmizer
or norwood . Does anyone out therer own one of these . If so what advice can
you offer . What is my most reliable mill. Tks Don

Wilson Lamb

WOW, I've wanted one for years. I have hired them for MANY days!
Woodmizer is a well built device, but their salesmanship is even better.
I'm sure you could live with it, but I wouldn't buy one because of the
cantilevered head. I have looked at many in person and greatly prefer the
four post head.
There are MANY brands, so look at a lot of ads before buying. I'd strongly
recommend visiting a job, or even hiring one for a day to see how it works
and what it's like to handle all that wood. Serious sawing will wear you
out!

If you're talking casual hobby sawing with no production goal, it's not too
bad, but think about how you will handle logs, boards, and slabs. You
really need a tractor if the logs are down on your land. If you have to
move them from elsewhere, a Bobcat is nice. I have a 16' trailer with an
electric winch on the front...not really satisfactory because of battery
capacity (I have a marine battery on the tongue, which I charge with a small
genset.

Of course that means a big pickup and 16' trailer. Unless you saw a lot,
hiring is a bargain...usually $35-50/hr.

Search Google for bandsawmills, sawmills, etc. You should easily find 15-20
brands.
Go to a farm show if there's one near you.

Wilson

http://www.sawmillexchange.com/band.htm

"Donald Maclean" wrote in message
I am going to purchase a portable band saw mill. I am considerind

woodmizer
or norwood . Does anyone out therer own one of these . If so what advice

can
you offer . What is my most reliable mill. Tks Don

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:41:14 GMT, "Wilson Lamb"
wrote:

Woodmizer is a well built device,

The one I use has crap welds that were cracking off the post within a
year of use. So does the (slightly older) engineless one sitting next
to it, so it's not a one-off.

but their salesmanship is even better.

Agreed. I like the way that anyone can phone up the central office and
they'll pass you out to a local Woodmizer operator.

I'm sure you could live with it, but I wouldn't buy one because of the
cantilevered head. I have looked at many in person and greatly prefer the
four post head.

Depends how you use it. If you're trailering it around a lot, the
cantilevered head is easier to set up - it's more tolerant of a less
than even track setup.

If I were to buy my own, I'd buy a Woodmizer - mainly because they're
(almost) the only game in town in the UK.

The smallest LT-15 is perhaps the most useful. There's very little it
won't handle and the main advantage of the bigger models is the
quicker setup and powered log handling. Of course this all costs money
- with an LT-15 (esp. S/H) you can afford to have it standing idle.
With the hydraulic models you have to work your tail off all year,
just to pay off the loan for it.

What surprised me about it is how useful it is for furniture makers.
If you want a big resaw for a tabletop, just stick the board in the
Woodmizer -- better cut quality (with a fresh band and some careful
alignment) than many vertical bandsaws, and it'll do it a couple of
feet wide.
--
Smert' spamionam
Jon Endres, PE

"Donald Maclean" wrote in message
I am going to purchase a portable band saw mill. I am considerind

woodmizer
or norwood . Does anyone out therer own one of these . If so what advice

can
you offer . What is my most reliable mill. Tks Don

I have a 20-year old Woodmizer LT-30. It's an ugly rust bucket that has
gotten more than a few repairs. I'm the second owner. Nevertheless, it
cuts wood really well.

Woodmizer is the biggest game in town, but I can't say they are the best.
Woodmizer has good service, a decent network of dealers, easy parts
availability, and the orange color costs more. I have also heard good
things about Norwood.

If I were in the market for a brand new mill (and I am - I want something
bigger), I'd go with a Woodmizer again. I think the cantilever design is
better than a four post because the mill does not have to be level. I also
think their log handling features and setworks on the bigger mills are
superior. Other brands I MIGHT consider would be Timberking, Baker, or a
swingblade mill such as the Peterson or Lucas Mill. I used to have a
Logosol mill and sold it to get the Woodmizer, but the Logosol was a really
great mill for small volumes.

Spend some time, go to the Forestry Forum (www.forestryforum.com) and READ.
Everything you can about sawmills and milling. Then ask your questions.
Then buy your mill.

Jon E

Markndawoods

Jan 05 American Woodworker Mag has a review of saw mills worth looking over.

I am going to purchase a portable band saw mill. I am considerind woodmizer
or norwood . Does anyone out therer own one of these . If so what advice
can
you offer . What is my most reliable mill. Tks Don

Cut Tenons With Table-Saw and Tenoning Jig or Bandsaw? Jay Chan Woodworking 11 April 4th 04 12:40 AM
New bandsaw saga Part I (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:39 PM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM
Speaking of portable mills.... David J Bockman Woodworking 2 November 1st 03 12:03 AM