Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default dead blow hammer

ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was
astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the
pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired. wasn't
particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Gorman

William Wixon wrote:
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was
astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the
pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired. wasn't
particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

I've got one that looks just like that, Grizzley as I recall. I have
discarded the little orange pieces, I think.
Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"William Wixon" wrote: (clip) i know. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think you are REALLY inside yet. If you shake it what do you feel?
I think the metal can is full of shot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

William Wixon wrote:

ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was
astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the
pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired. wasn't
particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

I think you should contact David Schoen, lawyer to those idiot daughters
of the idiot mom who deep fried herself with hairspray as mentioned here
in a thread a few daze ago.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/377648p-320816c.html

I think you should ask for at least a mil for the mental anguish you're
suffering from the loss of a beloved tool.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

LOL Jeff!!
i was gonna say "..and i contacted my lawyer and we're suing for 3 million
for my mental anguish" but was afraid someone would take me seriously and
i'd be a pariah on this list forever.
(thanks for the suggestion, i'll cut you in on the settlement)

b.w.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
William Wixon wrote:

I think you should contact David Schoen, lawyer to those idiot daughters
of the idiot mom who deep fried herself with hairspray as mentioned here
in a thread a few daze ago.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/377648p-320816c.html

I think you should ask for at least a mil for the mental anguish you're
suffering from the loss of a beloved tool.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

William Wixon wrote:

ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

Next blow hammer should be from PB (Swiss).
Really nice!

Expensive but worth it's money. Replaceable (different) caps, lead shot
inside the steel barrel. Hickory handle.
A hammer is not a hammer is a hammer or not, or so. Regarding the
differences you can get (and got).

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

William Wixon wrote:

[...]

Too bad Johnny Cochran is no longer with us: I can hear him chanting
"If it went to bits you must'a hit!"

Happy New Year!

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Geib

I've got a 25 year old snapon that look just like that, wacked a break drum
with it and it ended up in a pile on the floor.

Jim Geib
"William Wixon" wrote in message
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have.
now i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was
astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the
pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired.
wasn't particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

For some reason the plastic breaks down. Had an old green dead blow from
snap-on. Turned black and fell apart. Snap-on man said we don't sell black
ones and I said I know. Was made by Compothane. Little persuading and he
warranted it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to William Wixon :
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

Hmm ... did you try removing the end caps from the cylinder? I
suspect that it is filled with lead shot.

Better luck with your next one.
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article rs.com,
says...
According to William Wixon :
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

Hmm ... did you try removing the end caps from the cylinder? I
suspect that it is filled with lead shot.

Better luck with your next one.

It looks just like one of mine that recently failed the same way. If
William's lasted as long as mine, 25 years, I'd say his luck was pretty
good with *that* one. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of the urethane
getting brittle over time. Mine started chipping a couple years ago,
then started to split, then fell completely apart. I've been carrying it
around in my truck hoping to run across a Snap-On truck, but probably
won't have the nerve to actually ask for a replacement when the chance
comes.

A Proto of the same vintage (looks just like a Nupla) is good as new.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik

It looks just like one of mine that recently failed the same way. If
William's lasted as long as mine, 25 years, I'd say his luck was pretty
good with *that* one. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of the urethane
getting brittle over time. Mine started chipping a couple years ago,
then started to split, then fell completely apart. I've been carrying it
around in my truck hoping to run across a Snap-On truck, but probably
won't have the nerve to actually ask for a replacement when the chance
comes.

Bull! Ask, they should replace it no questions. Thats one of the reasons
reasons you pay such big bucks for their stuff.

BTW, the original posters busted hammer kind of looks like a $nap On to
me.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like?

-snip-

yeah, my next step is taking it apart further.
"... you must'a hit." lol :-)
this was a Snap-On hammer. kinda embarrassing though how i got it. i stole
it from Home Depot (i'm kidding). driving down a busy street one day (was
so long ago i can't remember where, maybe NYC) and saw it lying on the
center painted lines, i can't remember now if it even maybe was lying
directly under a traffic signal in the middle of an intersection. i turned
around, pulled up to it, stopped in the middle of a busy road, opened my
door, reached down, GOT IT and drove away. (i did feel bad for the guy who
lost it though.) had been HEAVILY used though even when i got it. that was
at least 10 maybe 15 years ago, no telling how long the other guy had it. i
think the plastic just got old/brittle. i was surprised how much Snap-On is
asking for this hammer now, over $40, wow. at their website it says
something about a new upgraded urethane.
(the kid in me) wants to open up the cylinder just to see what's inside.
i thought this was a great hammer, high quality stuff, from this one i'd say
Snap-On makes pretty good dead blow hammers. funny what you wrote Ned about
not having the nerve to ask for a replacement. didn't know Snap-On did
that. hope you can get a new hammer. always liked the heft and feel of
this one.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GD

I had a Mac brand dead blow hammer that died like that and they gave
me a new one with out asking any questions. Mine was probably at least
20 years old.
GD

William Wixon wrote:
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have. now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was
astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the
pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired. wasn't
particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Jim Geib wrote:

I've got a 25 year old snapon that look just like that, wacked a break drum
with it and it ended up in a pile on the floor.

Now I know why you called it a "break" drum. It broke your hammer. G

Jeff (Ducking and running...)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young

Walking through the gravel parking lot of the local plumbing supply
house on the way to picking up my company's current order, I found a
mashed Ridgid tubing cutter. Handed it to the guys behind the counter &
they gave me a brand new one.

everyman wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:08:48 -0500, Stephen Young wrote:
Walking through the gravel parking lot of the local plumbing supply
house on the way to picking up my company's current order, I found a
mashed Ridgid tubing cutter. Handed it to the guys behind the counter &
they gave me a brand new one.

I bought a toolbox at an auction once, that had apparently been through
a fire or something. In the corner, melted into the metal tool box, was
a Craftsman stubby philips screwdriver. The markings were on the side
that wasn't melted into oblivion (and a few washers and bolts that had
been in there as well). Wasn't a problem, turned it in for a brand new
one at sears. The old-timer at the counter said "That's one for the
break-room wall" when he saw it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"William Wixon" wrote: (clip) i know. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think you are REALLY inside yet. If you shake it what do you feel?
I think the metal can is full of shot.

For G-d's sake William, DON'T open that can!!!

All the energy from every strike that hammer ever made is stored inside
it. Probably the equivalent of several pounds of C4 plastique.

Opening it would cause a worse disaster that that stupid woman who took
a "church key" to her aerosol can of hair spray.

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/377648p-320816c.html

Happy Holidays,

Jeff (Starting the weekend's festivities a little early....)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

I have a Stanley ball-pein deadblow hammer that's kinda like that except
there are steel faces sticking out of the plastic. The plastic around the
head disintegrated in a similar manner, but Stanley tools are "guaranteed
for life". Unfortunately, to collect on the guarantee, you have to send it
back to Stanley. The cost to ship it back and get a new one is more than
the cost of a new hammer. So I'm using it as is.

"Jim Geib" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a 25 year old snapon that look just like that, wacked a break
drum with it and it ended up in a pile on the floor.

Jim Geib
"William Wixon" wrote in message
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have.
now i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

was whacking on the step pulley to see if i could break it loose and was
astonished when this dead blow hammer disintegrated. wasn't hitting the
pulley particularly hard, i figure the plastic must've gotten tired.
wasn't particularly cold in my shop either, 39 degrees F.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) I lost one off the air cleaner on the
freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it
was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Karl, if you'll tell me where you found yours, I'll tell you where
I lost mine. BTW, what's a Spyderco knife?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

In article rs.com,
says...
According to William Wixon :
ever wonder what the inside of a dead blow hammer looks like? i have.
now
i know.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~wwixon/deadblow.jpg

Hmm ... did you try removing the end caps from the cylinder? I
suspect that it is filled with lead shot.

Better luck with your next one.

It looks just like one of mine that recently failed the same way. If
William's lasted as long as mine, 25 years, I'd say his luck was pretty
good with *that* one. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of the urethane
getting brittle over time. Mine started chipping a couple years ago,
then started to split, then fell completely apart. I've been carrying it
around in my truck hoping to run across a Snap-On truck, but probably
won't have the nerve to actually ask for a replacement when the chance
comes.

I just threw one out because the urethane had turned sticky, and no
solvent worked to remove the goo. I think that the urethane was
reverting to the urethane monomer from whence the resin was made; this
is one reason urethane foam turns to goo. The company that made the
hammer is long gone, so no chance to get it replaced for free.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Leo Lichtman :

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) I lost one off the air cleaner on the
freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it
was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Karl, if you'll tell me where you found yours, I'll tell you where
I lost mine. BTW, what's a Spyderco knife?

A quick google led me to their web site, and I *think* that the
one which Gunner lost is one of the three on the following page:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2

and no -- that price is not the top of their line. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:18:55 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) I lost one off the air cleaner on the
freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it
was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Karl, if you'll tell me where you found yours, I'll tell you where
I lost mine. BTW, what's a Spyderco knife?

http://www.botac.com/spydpolmod.html

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Mike" wrote: (clip) Turned black and fell apart. Snap-on man said we don't
sell black ones (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Gee - a police knife! - What for - cutting Chute cord as you Chute down on top
of the building so the Hut Hut guys can repel down ? :-)

Just love the Hut Hut guys - so many movies...

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Leo Lichtman :

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) I lost one off the air cleaner on the
freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it
was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Karl, if you'll tell me where you found yours, I'll tell you where
I lost mine. BTW, what's a Spyderco knife?

A quick google led me to their web site, and I *think* that the
one which Gunner lost is one of the three on the following page:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2

and no -- that price is not the top of their line. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:42:49 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Gee - a police knife! - What for - cutting Chute cord as you Chute down on top
of the building so the Hut Hut guys can repel down ? :-)

Just love the Hut Hut guys - so many movies...

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Actually..it excells at cutting seat belts to get the occupants out of
crashed vehicles. Which is why most cops carry them. Some even carry
spring loaded center punches or specilty tools to bust windows safely
for the same reason.

This is probably the best combination tool for the job, ever made

http://store.yahoo.com/bestknives/smitwes911fi.html
http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...N069&cat= 576

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMITH-AND-WESSON-RESCUE-KNIFE-FIRST-RESPONDER-EMT-NR_W0QQitemZ6592390387QQcategoryZ73530QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

While I can fault a lot of cops for some of the military bull**** they
try to immulate..carrying a knife, particularly a serrated blade...is
only good sense.

Gunner

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Leo Lichtman :

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) I lost one off the air cleaner on the
freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it
was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Karl, if you'll tell me where you found yours, I'll tell you where
I lost mine. BTW, what's a Spyderco knife?

A quick google led me to their web site, and I *think* that the
one which Gunner lost is one of the three on the following page:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2

and no -- that price is not the top of their line. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
everyman

Nope, Mariner.
Karl

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:16:40 GMT, "everyman"
wrote:

I got a nice Spyderco knife that way.

Sigh...Police Model? I lost one off the air cleaner on the freeway..I
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:00:22 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

.. Some even carry
spring loaded center punches or specilty tools to bust windows safely
for the same reason.

Yep, I was an EMT for many years. Never used one this way but was told
that a punch in the lower corner of a car window would remove the
window in a second. Try to pick a window away from the victim though.
Randy
--
Randy Replogle

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks gunner -

I just hate to have the local cop turn into a commando. He or she is dealing with
two or more ego's at a time and lots of pumping blood and ... - not to worry
about what belt 'tool', 'smoke...', 'frag...' thngy to use or throw.

I saw the first 'gear up' just after some of the riots in the universities. The
campus cops I knew scared the hell out of me - the guns they had on their hips -
first time (never before did they carry them) - were bigger than they!

Most of those guys were 60-90 years old. My landlord was 68 and carried a 44mag!
On his hip just in case the loonys come.... He was more loony!

Then times like Watts and times like the Weatherman underground... Those were the 60's -
Bombs and machine guns came to the local cops.

It never bothered me to see a rifle and scope in the back of an officers car here
in Texas - I knew it was there for varmint killing. Then the rifle changed to M14's.
The auto type. - Free from overages in a down sizing military.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

[...]

DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to Leo Lichtman :

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) I lost one off the air cleaner on the
freeway..I heard the rattle thump as I hit 75mph...knew exactly what it
was..and couldnt go back for it in heavy traffic...damnit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Karl, if you'll tell me where you found yours, I'll tell you where
I lost mine. BTW, what's a Spyderco knife?

A quick google led me to their web site, and I *think* that the
one which Gunner lost is one of the three on the following page:

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=2

and no -- that price is not the top of their line. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:29:02 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Thanks gunner -

I just hate to have the local cop turn into a commando. He or she is dealing with
two or more ego's at a time and lots of pumping blood and ... - not to worry
about what belt 'tool', 'smoke...', 'frag...' thngy to use or throw.

One of the agencies down in LA where I hang out...is wearing all
black, with thigh holsters. Look like they are all geared up for a
raid, or a patrol in indian country. In Sector 7. On the bad side of
the planetoid.

Frankly..they look like buffoons. Same agency that took the burglarly
report when my truck was burglarized in 2000, and I had to show them
how to lift prints..and loan them clear packing tape as their finger
print tape was missing. I got an embaressed mumble about "budgets".
All I could do is shake my head at the idjits.

I saw the first 'gear up' just after some of the riots in the universities. The
campus cops I knew scared the hell out of me - the guns they had on their hips -
first time (never before did they carry them) - were bigger than they!

Most of those guys were 60-90 years old. My landlord was 68 and carried a 44mag!
On his hip just in case the loonys come.... He was more loony!

Then times like Watts and times like the Weatherman underground... Those were the 60's -
Bombs and machine guns came to the local cops.

It never bothered me to see a rifle and scope in the back of an officers car here
in Texas - I knew it was there for varmint killing. Then the rifle changed to M14's.
The auto type. - Free from overages in a down sizing military.

Martin

When I was working deputy out in the desert..I carried a scoped rifle
or an AR-180. Simply because of the ranges involved.

Gunner

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

[...]