Max63

Default Engineer's hammer = ?

What do people mean by an engineer's hammer? I just bought a really
cute hammer yesterday (yes, I used the C word. I have no use for the
hammer but I like the look of it on my desk). Its got a really curvy
wooden handle and a small head, large and flat on one side, small ball
on the other. Shiny steel. I searched Google images and found that
engineer's hammers look completely different so perhpas the shop owner
isnt sure himself.
PS Whats this Dale Carnegie crap that overtook the forum? Can someone
sift it out?

Glen Duff

It's mainly for recently-graduated engineer's. There's bold print on
the handle stating "hold this end"!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Glen Duff
------------------

On 11 Jan 2005 01:09:13 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

What do people mean by an engineer's hammer? I just bought a really
cute hammer yesterday (yes, I used the C word. I have no use for the
hammer but I like the look of it on my desk). Its got a really curvy
wooden handle and a small head, large and flat on one side, small ball
on the other. Shiny steel. I searched Google images and found that
engineer's hammers look completely different so perhpas the shop owner
isnt sure himself.
PS Whats this Dale Carnegie crap that overtook the forum? Can someone
sift it out?

Take a look at the hammer on the old Soviet flag. That's an engineer's
hammer. It's blocky and its got a straight cross peen rather than a
ball peen.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Andy Dingley

On 11 Jan 2005 01:09:13 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

What do people mean by an engineer's hammer?

What country are you in ?

In the UK, an engineer's hammer is a ball peen
http://www.fine-tools.co.uk/Merchant...01/pp-7116.jpg

The main face is round, the secondary face is a half-ball.

Depending on age, they're either forged or cast steel, but there's
always a narrowed neck between the body (where the shaft goes) and the
peens.

In Europe, the engineer's hammer is more of a square-section sledge,
without this neck. The face is square and the second is a cross-peen
(right angles to the shaft). Depending on how far East you go, this
can either be centred on the head or at the lower edge of it.

German hammers are centred
http://www.kayneandson.com/catalog/i...German_std.jpg

The French have low peens, with a notched rear to the head
http://www.kayneandson.com/catalog/i...nch_hammer.jpg

Eastern Europe is low with a sloped rear
http://www.kayneandson.com/catalog/i...e_hammer_2.jpg

(for a whole range of hammer pictures, look here)
http://www.kayneandson.com/catalog/pages/hammers.shtml

A sledge hammer (a large engineer's hammer) has an octagonal face and
a centred cross peen
http://ts.smoothcorp.com/cornerhardw...2.400x310.jpeg

A smith's hammer generally has a straight peen instead of a cross
peen, for use when fullering - although smiths use a great many
hammers of almost every pattern.
--
Smert' spamionam

On 11 Jan 2005 01:09:13 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

What do people mean by an engineer's hammer? I just bought a really
cute hammer yesterday (yes, I used the C word. I have no use for the
hammer but I like the look of it on my desk). Its got a really curvy
wooden handle and a small head, large and flat on one side, small ball
on the other. Shiny steel.

sounds like a planishing hammer....
Dave Balderstone

In article . com,
Max63 wrote:

PS Whats this Dale Carnegie crap that overtook the forum? Can someone
sift it out?

I have no ideawhat you're talking about. I'm not seeing anything like
that.

Of course, I'm using a good news provider, not Google. Supernews does a
fantastic job of filtering spam.
Larry Jaques

On 11 Jan 2005 01:09:13 -0800, "Max63" calmly
ranted:

What do people mean by an engineer's hammer? I just bought a really
cute hammer yesterday (yes, I used the C word. I have no use for the
hammer but I like the look of it on my desk). Its got a really curvy
wooden handle and a small head, large and flat on one side, small ball
on the other. Shiny steel. I searched Google images and found that
engineer's hammers look completely different so perhpas the shop owner
isnt sure himself.

Could it be a jeweler's chasing hammer like this, but with a larger
flat head? Thin and flexible handle at the head, thick at the held end
with a teardrop shape? I've always been fascinated by the way those
look, too. http://www.jewelrysupply.com/noframes/hammers.htm HA223

PS Whats this Dale Carnegie crap that overtook the forum? Can someone
sift it out?

We all do, daily.

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:10:42 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

[...]

Boy, you learn something new every day.
Thanks Andy!

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Mark & Juanita

On 11 Jan 2005 01:09:13 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

What do people mean by an engineer's hammer?

A Technician -- that's the person the engineer uses to get stuff done.
At least that works for me. :-)

I just bought a really
cute hammer yesterday (yes, I used the C word. I have no use for the
hammer but I like the look of it on my desk). Its got a really curvy
wooden handle and a small head, large and flat on one side, small ball
on the other. Shiny steel. I searched Google images and found that
engineer's hammers look completely different so perhpas the shop owner
isnt sure himself.
PS Whats this Dale Carnegie crap that overtook the forum? Can someone
sift it out?

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:32:44 GMT, wrote:

Boy, you learn something new every day.

Would have been more useful if I'd read the original message more
carefully though. It's clearly not an engineer's hammer at all, but a
jeweller's hammer (variously called a chasing or repousse hammer).

http://www.kayneandson.com/catalog/i...rs/chasing.jpg

The main use of the hammer is to strike a punch or graver, not the
work itself.

Note the swollen palm bulb to the shaft. These hammers are hard to
find and expensive to buy. A shaft is worth more than a head ! If
you're doing this sort of rapidly bouncing work, like engraving, then
you really need that bulb.

If the face is bigger and very slightly domed, it's a silversmith's
planishing hammer. This is used for a surfce treatment (planishing)
after shaping a soft metal.

--
Smert' spamionam
Max63

Thanks all! Chasing hammer indeed! For jewellers? I just show it off.
Cost about 9$. Afraid to use it on nails as the shaft is so slender.
Thanks again,
Max

Andy Dingley

On 12 Jan 2005 06:32:22 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

Afraid to use it on nails as the shaft is so slender.

You won't hurt the shaft, but you will chew up the face.

I have _lots_ of hammers (about 70 on a quick head-count). The ones in
the rack are fair game for almost anything. Woe betide you though if
you hit anything hard with the ones from the panel-beating box, or the
silversmithing box. The hammers in there have their faces
hand-polished to a mirror shine. For a lot of forming work on soft
metal this level of smoothness is essential, or the marks transfer to
the workpiece.

For a graving hammer as this might be, then it's not too important -
after all a graver won't care. But if it's a planishing hammer, that
surface should be kept perfect.

--
Smert' spamionam

On 12 Jan 2005 06:32:22 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

Thanks all! Chasing hammer indeed! For jewellers? I just show it off.
Cost about 9$. Afraid to use it on nails as the shaft is so slender.
Thanks again,
Max

It's not designed for driving nails. It's for delivering repeated
light blows to the the tool as it moves across the metal. Think a
hand-powered jack hammer. The shaft is slender to give the hammer more
bounce and the bulb at the end of the handle aids in control.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Ryobi hammer drill query timbo Woodworking 3 November 28th 04 09:44 AM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Woodworking 0 February 6th 04 06:34 AM
Water Hammer from Toilet anon UK diy 7 December 4th 03 01:36 PM
Understanding Engineers GeoffH Metalworking 14 October 9th 03 02:18 PM
Chicago Electrics Rotary Hammer Drill Review Barry Criner Metalworking 0 September 21st 03 02:20 PM