Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dalton Lathes

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 03:18:03 GMT, Colin Campbell
wrote:

replying to Dennis Turk, Colin Campbell wrote:
I have just purchased a Dalton 6 lathe. I need to replace one of the gears
in the gear train, do you know the specificactions for these gears?

Which gear?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

14 year old zombie thread!

I hope alla yall realize Dennis wants you to join the Dalton Yahoo group
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, john333 wrote:
Hello, I just picked up a 1922 lot 4 dalton, how do you get all the sludge
and rust removed ? i hope this gets out there as i am new to metal working
Thanks..

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 14:18:04 GMT, john333
wrote:

replying to Dennis Turk, john333 wrote:
Hello, I just picked up a 1922 lot 4 dalton, how do you get all the sludge
and rust removed ? i hope this gets out there as i am new to metal working
Thanks..

You could try oven cleaner, or lye, to start.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just aquired a dalton lot4 serial4092 trying to take apart tailstock because shaft crank handle is bent.want to know was is the best way to attack tearing it apart

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 11:31:31 AM UTC-5, Dennis Turk wrote:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.

Just purchased Dalton lathe lot #5 No 248. The lathe is missing most of the gears for the lead screw. Is there a source for these gears or if not, perhaps drawings and list gears/numbers of teeth.

Thanking you in advance.

Colin Campbell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 8:31:31 AM UTC-8, Dennis Turk wrote:
[...]

I just found a Dalton, short bed, and has a box of change gears etc. It has been exposed for a few years but as I do restoration on machines, this should be a doable restoration. I am going to have it in my shop in a few days but I believe if is missing the gear cover (the hinged housing) and from pctures on the internet, there is also a pulley cover missing. I am sorry that do not know the names of all the parts yet. How unobtainable are these covers as I would like to make it complete if at all possible. I will post a serial number once I have the lathe on my bench and can locate it or any other identifying features. I am excited!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 10:18:05 PM UTC-5, Colin Campbell wrote:
replying to Dennis Turk, Colin Campbell wrote:
I have just purchased a Dalton 6 lathe. I need to replace one of the gears
in the gear train, do you know the specificactions for these gears?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

I realize now that there are several gears missing. i have a double gear at the top which mates to the spindle plus a 48 tooth and a 96 tooth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, WubWub wrote:
Hi Dennis. I might be England's number three! I have a Dalton lathe no. 747 as
I remember it. Think it is a B4. I stored it away, but got it out the other
day to clean and sell it. After assembling it and cleaning it, I knew that I
could not sell it and that I need to finish what I started and to make the
change gears that it lacked (I bought a Clarke CLM500M and a Vertex Dividing
Head from a friend just to do that). Anyway, send me an email and I'll pop
some pictures to you. I imagine that it's nearly all there. I'm not 100% sure
on the setup, although I did have it running long enough to make two brass
spinners!

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Dennis,
I would like to get in touch with you regarding my Dalton. I saved it from the scrapper, but I am fully committed to bringing it back. I would like to learn more about parts, potential parts machines or ideas. I thank you kindly,Adrian
415 418-9112

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Matt wrote:
My son is restoring a Dalton lathe for his engineering for his HS project. He
will need some help identifying it. It doesnt appear to have a visible
serial number, just patent plates etc on front and side. Shows patent number
and 1922 as last patent listed. Engine actually works, most parts are there.
Trying to identify and run down owners manual etc. He hopes to restore it by
end of this school year for a Makers Fair exhibit. Can you help out?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I just acquired a Dalton from my father. I believe he acquired it from a local school.

It's a short lot 5, I think the s/n is 275 but I will confirm.

Has a roughly made table and a couple of pails of parts.

Some light rust and it's obviously not been used in awhile. Unfortunately the gear cover and part of the end support were broken and then crudely welded. I'll have to see what I can do to make them more presentable.

I have a small Chinese lathe in running condition, so I plan on taking the Dalton apart and basically rebuilding it. Dalton has a slightly larger swing and longer ways and I suspect it will be a better machine once I get it running again.

Curious if there's any information on what colors these originally came in. Mine's covered in sloppy grey paint but I suspect it's been repainted numerous times.

I'm a little sore from moving this thing by myself and I have a stack of other projects pending, but I hope to make the Dalton a winter project.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote:
I have a Dalton lathe with a 4 " 3 jaw chuck made by The D.E. Whiton Co. New
London Con.
The jaws are marked; AK1, AK2, AK3. The # 3 jaw has several teeth missing. Is
there a
way to repair the jaw or replace it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok so I bought one off an elderly lady back in 2005. It has quite a few extra parts including all the gears. I really just use it as a hobby lathe for small project. I repaired the motor/spindle mount and electrics when I bought it. The headstock has
Exs than 0.003 runout shttps://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZo Im happy. Recently I was chatting on Reddit and was encouraged to make contact with you. I have no idea what I have other than its a dalton six. Heres a video of it in operation.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZc

Call or text me at(260) 750-0609

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 14:34:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Ok so I bought one off an elderly lady back in 2005. It has quite a few extra parts including all the gears. I really just use it as a hobby lathe for small project. I repaired the motor/spindle mount and electrics when I bought it. The headstock has
Exs than 0.003 runout shttps://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZo Im happy. Recently I was chatting on Reddit and was encouraged to make contact with you. I have no idea what I have other than its a dalton six. Heres a video of it in operation.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VvpLbZc

Call or text me at(260) 750-0609

What are you planning on doing with this nice old lathe?

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I just purchased a dalton lathe that plan to use for small bike projects. The end of the bed is 24" from the chuck and the # on the end of bed is 6186.. I would appreciate an y information on this machine, also what weight machine oil do you use in the spindle oilers. Thanks.

ray

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote:
I have a Dalton Lathe 6 with a 3 jaw chuck marked "The D.E. Whiton Co." The
number 3 Jaw has three teeth
missing. Where might i get a replacement jaw? ( Chuck is 4" dia. )

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 11:18:05 PM UTC-5, Roger wrote:
replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote:
I have a Dalton Lathe 6 with a 3 jaw chuck marked "The D.E. Whiton
Co." The
number 3 Jaw has three teeth
missing. Where might i get a replacement jaw? ( Chuck is 4" dia. )

--
for full context, visit
https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Hello,

From what I can tell, these parts are not generally interchangeable.
I have a Dalton 7" (number 6125) and the three jaw chuck that isn't
running true (after 100 years, no surprise...) and have been looking
around for jaws or chuck to replace it. Nothing I've found fits - even
the 1.25" - 12 spindle thread seems to be bespoke. Let me know if you
find something!

=============================

You buy a blank, unthreaded, chuck backplate and use the lathe to
thread it to fit the spindle. Then you match the front of the
backplate to the back of the new chuck.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page7.html

You could practice threading a pipe fitting before risking the
backplate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 17:59:54 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 11:18:05 PM UTC-5, Roger wrote:
replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote:
I have a Dalton Lathe 6 with a 3 jaw chuck marked "The D.E. Whiton
Co." The
number 3 Jaw has three teeth
missing. Where might i get a replacement jaw? ( Chuck is 4" dia. )

--
for full context, visit
https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Hello,

From what I can tell, these parts are not generally interchangeable.
I have a Dalton 7" (number 6125) and the three jaw chuck that isn't
running true (after 100 years, no surprise...) and have been looking
around for jaws or chuck to replace it. Nothing I've found fits - even
the 1.25" - 12 spindle thread seems to be bespoke. Let me know if you
find something!

=============================

You buy a blank, unthreaded, chuck backplate and use the lathe to
thread it to fit the spindle. Then you match the front of the
backplate to the back of the new chuck.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page7.html

You could practice threading a pipe fitting before risking the
backplate.

Back when I was an apprentice boy no 3 jawed chuck was considered to
be perfectly centered and one always chucked up a larger piece of
stock to allow for a "truing cut" to ensure the work was running true.
Things shore have changed but a 4 jawed, independent chuck and a dial
indicator was the only method of ensuring that a work piece was
"centered".

--
Cheers,
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-02-21, wrote:

[ ... ]

Hello,

From what I can tell, these parts are not generally interchangeable.
I have a Dalton 7" (number 6125) and the three jaw chuck that isn't
running true (after 100 years, no surprise...) and have been looking
around for jaws or chuck to replace it.

Hmm ... first find out where the runout is coming from. One
possible place in a 3-jaw (or the rare universal 4-jaw) is the scroll
plate. It normally is held on center by a boss into the center of the
plate, and over the years, the ID wears and allows the plate to shift
off center -- thus carrying the jaws with it.

To add to the fun -- if there are multiple key holes, the
direction of the offset depends on the key hole used for the last
tightening. Some chucks have a marker beside one of the (typically
three) key holes, and when new, this was the one which would give
minimum runout.

So -- take the back plate off (assuming that there is a separate
back plate) and whatever else is necessary to access the back of the
scroll plate.

Then clean it all with a reasonable grease solvent, and with the
jaws removed, see whether the scroll plate can be slid around a bit. If
so, slide it to one side, and at the point opposite the contact point,
get your index gages and find which one is the thickest that you can
slide into the gap.

Divide that thickness by two, and get some shim stock of that
thickness, and cut a piece long enough to wrap around the boss in the
chuck, and wide enough to match the thickness of the scroll place, and
put it in the gap between the boss and the scroll plate hub.

Once this is done, try each of the key holes to see which gives
the least runout. Hopefully, this is the one marked by the maker.

Using this one, tighten the jaws onto a ring -- ideally one made
to fit behind the gripping surface of the jaws -- and then mount a
toolpost grinder (or adapt a Dremel or the like to act as one) and
re-grind the inside end of the jaws until all three are clean fresh
grinding. At this point, you will probably have better centering at all
sizes with the reground jaws -- except if the scroll in the plate has
worn at a particular angle of setting, or has had the scroll teeth bent
by overtightening at a particular size. The wearing could be if it was
at one time used in production, almost always tightened on the same
diameter of stock. If that has happened, it really needs a new scroll
plate -- somewhat tricky to make, unless you have a universal mill with
an index head geared to the X-axis leadscrew.

Nothing I've found fits - even
the 1.25" - 12 spindle thread seems to be bespoke. Let me know if you
find something!

1.25" x 12TPI spindle suggests that you need to make your own
backplate for a new chuck, rather than trying to find one which you can
buy.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-02-21, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 17:59:54 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[ ... ]

You buy a blank, unthreaded, chuck backplate and use the lathe to
thread it to fit the spindle. Then you match the front of the
backplate to the back of the new chuck.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page7.html

You could practice threading a pipe fitting before risking the
backplate.

Back when I was an apprentice boy no 3 jawed chuck was considered to
be perfectly centered and one always chucked up a larger piece of
stock to allow for a "truing cut" to ensure the work was running true.
Things shore have changed but a 4 jawed, independent chuck and a dial
indicator was the only method of ensuring that a work piece was
"centered".

Absolutely! Though you can get fairly close for many purposes
with an "Adjust-Tru" style chuck.

Best to Re-True it each time you change the size of stock held
in the chuck.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi, my father owns a Dalton Lathe that he has owned for around 50 years and is now trying to identify the model. We cannot see any identification plates on the lathe at all. Would you be able to identify it from pictures? If you could send me an e-mail address, then I can We Transfer them to you.

Many thanks,

Nigel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Hi my name is Brian Denny, I bought a Dalton a while back, I believe it is a lot 4. It came to me without a tailstock and had been out side here in Oregon for a long time. I will eventually get to work on it. Anybody have a tailstock?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to turnern67, ggloor wrote:
Hi Nigel,
On Daltons the model number is usually stamped on the right hand end of the
ways.

I would like to see any pictures you have:
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6d

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello i have a Dalton nine x four and im looking for the end gear cover and top gear covers
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just un packed my fathers dalton lathe after 11 years in storage. All cleaned up . A few minor repairs. I have tones of tooling with it . And gear sets etc.
9x3 . Where is the serial number normally located?
Also I need instruction about how to use the gears etc and thread cut.

It has two drives. One threaded , one slotted. There is a thread counter/ index my father made. As a kid I remember using this lathe and cutting threads using the counter. But I cant remember enough... are manuals available?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I just un packed my fathers dalton lathe after 11 years in storage.
All cleaned up . A few minor repairs. I have tones of tooling with it
.. And gear sets etc.
9x3 . Where is the serial number normally located?
Also I need instruction about how to use the gears etc and thread
cut.

It has two drives. One threaded , one slotted. There is a thread
counter/ index my father made. As a kid I remember using this lathe
and cutting threads using the counter. But I can't remember enough...
are manuals available?

=========================

In general, if the spindle and leadscrew are geared together 1:1 the
lathe cuts the same pitch as the leadscrew. For other pitches you need
gear ratios the same as the pitch ratios. For example to cut 16 TPI
with an 8 TPI leadscrew the leadscrew has to be reduced to 1/2 of
spindle speed. Gears can't have too few teeth, so the gear for 13 TPI
has 13 * 4 = 54 teeth and would be matched with 8 * 4 = 32 teeth.

A spreadsheet can be useful if you are reconstructing the gear train
ratios.

The thread counter dial on my South Bend allows disengaging the half
nuts to move the carriage quickly back to the thread start, without
stopping the lathe. It's not really necessary, you can back out the
bit and reverse the lathe instead.

The 1942 edition of "How to Run a Lathe" may be better than newer
editions for a lathe from the 1920's: My 1965 South Bend preserves
many relics of that age such as the option for overhead leather belt
drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, allan canfield wrote:
Dennis i recently bought one of these dalton lathes i know nothing about this
item i would love to get some info on it if i could and would like to know
where i can get parts for it. It is a lot 5 #480. I need a bit holder and a
center for it. you can reach me at
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6q
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6r
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/6s

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi. Got me å Dalton lathe no3391 oktober 06 1917 b4 in very god kondisjon i live in Norway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Chuck wrote:
Hi my name is Chuck I have an old Dalton I think may be a lot 4 but not 100%
sure I'm gona have a look though tomorrow !!

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi I have a dalton lot b4 102 in UK this is original as far as I know nice old lathe that's nice n tight and not painted up cheers matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Matt wrote:
Hi got a b4 dalton no. 102 I think it's not been touched seems all original
apart for motor so what age does lot 102 fall in to how many are left in UK
mine I was told came of battle ship? So thare at least one in Scotland cheers.
Matt

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Matt wrote:
Hi I have a Dolton b4 nice old lathe information on it would be great could
you tell me what oil I should be using and drops per minute all info on this
would b good I live in Scotland UK look forward to hearing from you. Cheers.
Matt

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, Roger wrote:
Hellow; my name is Roger Lawrence in Newfield Me USA. I have a Dalton lathe,
Circa 1922, Type B-4, Dalton 6,
Lot -5, No. 547, Swing- 7 1/4" . The 4" - 3Jaw chuck is made by the D.E.
whiten Co. New London Con. the
jaws are marked,AK1, AK2, AK3. The no. 3 Jaw has several teeth missing. Is
there a way to repair or replace
the jaw?

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-308297-.htm

Question about small 7 x 10 lathes Cuezilla Metalworking 2 October 18th 03 04:37 AM
Craftex Lathes Surf-dude Metalworking 0 October 15th 03 02:26 PM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 01:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 01:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 02:13 PM