Old June 14th 15, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dalton Lathes

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 18:28:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi all. Mark here in the UK. I recently bought a Dalton Lot 4 # 747 (cool #!). Does anyone know where to get further information on the lathe. I'd love to be able to use it to make the missing items from the changeover gear set. It's my first lathe. Am I aiming too high? Kind regards...

Have you tried Tony' lathe site (
www.lathes.co.uk) for information.

Old November 14th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 26, 2003 at 8:31:31 AM UTC-8, Dennis Turk wrote:
To all Dalton owners and people interested in Dalton equipment. My
name is Dennis Turk and I own seven Dalton lathes, one lot 3 and six
lot 4 machines. The range of age is before 1914 and to after 1925. I
do not use the lathes as they are for restoration and display.

There is a group of Dalton owners that share pictures information and
in some cases replacement parts. There is I believe 13 people in this
group. We are known as just the Dalton Gang.:-) Two of the people
live in England, as it seems Daltons ended up over there also.

There are no multi function machines in the group. The group is
comprised of one lot 2 lathe two lot 3 lathes sixteen lot 4 lathes and
one lot 6. The lot number is just in front of your serial number and
denotes the model. B-4 or B-6.

Not all lathes especially the early ones have model tags on them only
a lot #. We keep a record of all Lot and Serial numbers and this way
we can gestimate the approximate age or year of build for the lathes.

In this group there is also one very original peddle or foot powered
lathe that has the hand lever on the tailstock. Really interesting
machine. Devil to run though.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone that owns a Dalton
lathe for the purpose of tracking serial numbers and helping others
with problems with their lathes. There are a very small number of
replacement parts available. These are used but serviceable.

In some of the postings there was a question as to the age of Dalton
tool works. We know that Herbert Dalton started the company some time
before 1912 and it failed in the stock market crash of 1929. In 1930
Elecrolux purchased the property and built vacuum cleaners there

Thanks and I hope to hear form all Dalton owners.

Dennis are you still monitoring this post? I just picked a B4 #2383 that is very dirty but looks functional with exception to motor and associated drive bits. I'm looking for guidance in that area.
Old January 4th 16, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have had a lathe I found in a scrap yard in Seymour Texas for about 12 years.
It has a broken base and was in need of tepair. I disassembled it and took inventory of what it needed. Cleaned all the parts and put it in the attic.
I just pulled it down to go over again and was trying to find another base.
It appears to be one of the most rare models of the Dalton line.
It is a Lot-2-No 19.
I was planning on using it to neck turn rifle brass. I am using my Summit lathe for this and was hoping to find a more size appropriate lathe for it.
It's a neat looking little unit.
Just seems to be very very rare and it looks like I should approach with caution.
Old January 14th 16, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Dalton Lot 6 s/n 131. I am starting to it get operational again after a couple decades of storage.

Old March 26th 16, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have lot 4 number 2087 in great condition.
Old September 19th 16, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello. I just found your post. As of tomorrow I will be taking possession of a Dalton T-L with a 1924 date and a whole bunch of extras including live and dead centers, 3 and 4 jaw chuck, some change gears and in need of re-assembly (its in pieces), a new drive belt, and about a month or two of elbow grease to remove rust and re-paint. I am a Machinist virgin having only played so far with a Grizzly micro-lathe which has gotten me hooked (I have found so far anyone who owns a lathe seems to have 2 or 3 or 4 or... I know... its a disease) I ordered what literature was available from that UK fellow so we will see if sales brochures are enough info to rebuild this beast. I may be back to ask some (I am sure really really dumb) questions.
Old December 4th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Dennis Turk, jordie field wrote:
hello: I just picked up a Dalton 4 lathe that is complete. Most interesting
is a very small rectangular thread counter. Was wondering if anyone has
sienna like it? I have tried to email Mr. Turk recently and his mail box is
full. would love to contact anyone who would like to talk on the phone as I
have many questions and find typing to clumsy. Hello...is their anyone out
there. Also my Dalton has the motor mounted above the leather step pulleys.
Part of the set looks factory, other part does not. I can load pictures, I
just want to do it at the best location. My e-mail is

--
for full context, visit
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...es-308297-.htm

Old December 7th 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Question about small 7 x 10 lathes Cuezilla Metalworking 2 October 18th 03 03:37 AM
Craftex Lathes Surf-dude Metalworking 0 October 15th 03 01:26 PM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 12:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 12:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 01:13 PM