Loren Coe

Default Plastic Food Wrap, what happened to "Saran Wrap"?

i just saw a commercial for Glad, "Touch & Seal", it reminded me
of 40yr old commercials for SaranWrap, you remember - turn the bowl
upside down?

now i understand that you cannot buy any product like the orig., at
least not imhe(experience), but now i wonder why we are being sold
"new" forty year old technology? was there a patent issue?

just in time for the Holidays, --Loren

Glenn Ashmore

I gave up on all those wimpy simi-cling-wraps. I took a piece of
bandsaw blade and made an under-cabinet dispenser for a roll of 80 gauge
pallet wrap. Now THAT's cling wrap and a lot cheaper than Glad or
SaranWrap.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Daniel Abranko

I also noticed that as of late, all the food cling wraps have been
really crummy. The original Saran wrap is made of a patented film
product from Dow-Corning. This stuff is the extremely tenaciously clingy
wrap used in commercial packaging applications, think about pre-cut
chicken pieces, and pallet wrap. The knockoffs use PVC, which is nowhere
nearly as clingy but isnt patented either.

-Dan

In article N_sFb.421826$Dw6.1302536@attbi_s02,
Loren Coe wrote:

i just saw a commercial for Glad, "Touch & Seal", it reminded me
of 40yr old commercials for SaranWrap, you remember - turn the bowl
upside down?

now i understand that you cannot buy any product like the orig., at
least not imhe(experience), but now i wonder why we are being sold
"new" forty year old technology? was there a patent issue?

just in time for the Holidays, --Loren

Ken Cutt

Daniel Abranko wrote:
I also noticed that as of late, all the food cling wraps have been
really crummy. The original Saran wrap is made of a patented film
product from Dow-Corning. This stuff is the extremely tenaciously clingy
wrap used in commercial packaging applications, think about pre-cut
chicken pieces, and pallet wrap. The knockoffs use PVC, which is nowhere
nearly as clingy but isnt patented either.

-Dan

Dan

Stick it in the fridge and it will stick like crazy .

Ken Cutt

Peter W. Meek

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:21:59 -0500, Daniel Abranko
wrote:

I also noticed that as of late, all the food cling wraps have been
really crummy. The original Saran wrap is made of a patented film
product from Dow-Corning. This stuff is the extremely tenaciously clingy
wrap used in commercial packaging applications, think about pre-cut
chicken pieces, and pallet wrap. The knockoffs use PVC, which is nowhere
nearly as clingy but isnt patented either.

SaranWrap is made by Dow, not Dow-Corning (which makes mostly
silicone products like fake tits and Silicone-Seal). D-C is
or was a joint venture between Dow Chemical and Corning Glass
(maker of silicon products like -- well, like glass). Distinguish
between silicone and silicon, something that all news media
seem unable to manage, but well within the capabilities of
metalworkers.

I don't think pallet wrap is Saran. Saran is pretty
expensive for that.

SaranWrap is made from Saran film (a plastic made by Dow
Chemical Co.) and is fundamentally different from all other
kitchen wraps in that it presents a MUCH higher resistance
to the passage of odor molecules -- a difference I seem to
be unable to convey to my wife. It doesn't cling quite as
easily as some of the other kitchen wraps; it is quite a bit
thicker. You really have to stretch it a bit to get it to cling.
Sideways across the far side of the bowl, then spread and
pull, simultaneously, over the near side.

They make it by extruding Saran through an annular die and
inflating the resulting tube to about 2 feet in diameter
as it hardens, then flattened and wound onto big rolls.
Then it's slit into three doubled strips and rewound
onto six large 1 foot wide rolls before being rewound a
second time onto the familiar cardboard tubes. (I did
the rewind from wide rolls to narrow for one summer
job.)

--
--Pete
"Peter W. Meek"

Kathy and Erich Coiner

Saran is still on the market.
Peter Meek has a lot of good info in his post.
I will just add that Saran is PVDC poly vinylidene Di Chloride.
This material has one of the lowest Oxygen transmission rates of all
plastics.
The other good one is EVOH but it stops working when it gets wet. but I
digress.
All this means is that Saran does a much better job of keeping food fresh
than Polyethylene or PVC wraps.
PE is great for water transmission but it does squat for Oxygen
transmission.

For those who want to pursue further self study, use the search engine of
choice with these two terms WVTR and O2TR

Erich
ah the things you learn that they don't teach in schools

"Loren Coe" wrote in message

i just saw a commercial for Glad, "Touch & Seal", it reminded me
of 40yr old commercials for SaranWrap, you remember - turn the bowl
upside down?

now i understand that you cannot buy any product like the orig., at
least not imhe(experience), but now i wonder why we are being sold
"new" forty year old technology? was there a patent issue?

just in time for the Holidays, --Loren

Chris Stratton

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:%xtFb.9668$JD6.2012@lakeread04...
I gave up on all those wimpy simi-cling-wraps. I took a piece of
bandsaw blade and made an under-cabinet dispenser for a roll of 80 gauge
pallet wrap. Now THAT's cling wrap and a lot cheaper than Glad or
SaranWrap.

I wonder if they changed the food-grade wraps out of concern for
components of the plastic - or some surfacing agent - leaching into
the food.

Chris
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:56:17 -0800, Chris Stratton wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:%xtFb.9668$JD6.2012@lakeread04...
I gave up on all those wimpy simi-cling-wraps. I took a piece of
bandsaw blade and made an under-cabinet dispenser for a roll of 80 gauge
pallet wrap. Now THAT's cling wrap and a lot cheaper than Glad or
SaranWrap.

I wonder if they changed the food-grade wraps out of concern for
components of the plastic - or some surfacing agent - leaching into
the food.

That was the reason in the UK

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

Loren Coe

In article , Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:56:17 -0800, Chris Stratton wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:%xtFb.9668$JD6.2012@lakeread04...
I gave up on all those wimpy simi-cling-wraps. I took a piece of
bandsaw blade and made an under-cabinet dispenser for a roll of 80 gauge
pallet wrap. Now THAT's cling wrap and a lot cheaper than Glad or
SaranWrap.

I wonder if they changed the food-grade wraps out of concern for
components of the plastic - or some surfacing agent - leaching into
the food. That was the reason in the UK

interesting, my Glad wrap box states: "Microwave Safe". this apparently
is not true for Saran Wrap(?), anyone?

this url has a brief discourse on the issue:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ve-dioxin2.htm

another url states: ....85% of all pvc wrap is used between two protective
layers for food service...

a couple of decades ago, Sac Peak Observatory decided to layoff the kitchen
staff and install a few Microwave Ovens and offer frozen food or just bring
your own. the slow ovens worked better if you emtied the tv dinner into
a sytrofoam plate (provided) which promptly melted if you over did it (nuked
it).

i was amazed that none of these folks, scientists included, thru out a
plate because there was plastic melted onto/into the food. maybe they
knew that if it wasn't SaranWrap, it was edible. grin --Loren

Bert

Loren Coe wrote:

interesting, my Glad wrap box states: "Microwave Safe". this apparently
is not true for Saran Wrap(?), anyone?

Do you have some reason to think it's not true for Saran Wrap? The box
I bought a few weeks ago ("Saran - The Original Premium Wrap") claims
to be "Best food protection. Best for freezer use. Best for microwave
use." Their number, in case you want to follow up, is 800-428-4795.

Bert

Don Foreman

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:39:06 GMT, "Kathy and Erich Coiner"
wrote:

Saran is still on the market.
Peter Meek has a lot of good info in his post.
I will just add that Saran is PVDC poly vinylidene Di Chloride.

That may explain why it clings so well when stretched a bit. If PVDC
is stretched enough that the polymer chains are more or less aligned,
it because piezoelectric; deformation creates an electrostatic
potential in the material. If the charge has nowhere to leak off,
it becomes the static electric equivalent of a permanent magnet.

I have noticed that meats double-wrapped in saran do NOT freezer burn
for as long as I'd want to keep frozen meat -- several months!
Andy Dingley

wrote:

All this means is that Saran does a much better job of keeping food fresh
than Polyethylene or PVC wraps.

Makes better X ray lasers too...
--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
Mark Rand

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:30:49 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

Makes better X ray lasers too...

Didn't realise plastics were used in Xray lasers... Live and learn.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Makes better X ray lasers too...

Didn't realise plastics were used in Xray lasers... Live and learn.

Xray lasers don't apparently work, unfortunately.
(well, the bomb-pumped ones)

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:08:28 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

Didn't realise plastics were used in Xray lasers... Live and learn.

Read the original Hagelstein paper. Saran was a substrate used to
deposit metal films on (which did the interesting bit). If you were
computer modelling the plasmas (as I was) you had to model both
components. Of course, the Brits had no idea what this bizarre
American wonder-material "Saran" that Los Alamos had cooked up could
possiby be - we thought it was an allotrope of krypotonite.

Then you learn that it's just cling film

Then you learn that it's _not_ just cling film.