Loren Coe

Default Plastic Food Wrap, what happened to "Saran Wrap"?

In article , Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:56:17 -0800, Chris Stratton wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:%xtFb.9668$JD6.2012@lakeread04...
I gave up on all those wimpy simi-cling-wraps. I took a piece of
bandsaw blade and made an under-cabinet dispenser for a roll of 80 gauge
pallet wrap. Now THAT's cling wrap and a lot cheaper than Glad or
SaranWrap.

I wonder if they changed the food-grade wraps out of concern for
components of the plastic - or some surfacing agent - leaching into
the food. That was the reason in the UK

interesting, my Glad wrap box states: "Microwave Safe". this apparently
is not true for Saran Wrap(?), anyone?

this url has a brief discourse on the issue:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ve-dioxin2.htm

another url states: ....85% of all pvc wrap is used between two protective
layers for food service...

a couple of decades ago, Sac Peak Observatory decided to layoff the kitchen
staff and install a few Microwave Ovens and offer frozen food or just bring
your own. the slow ovens worked better if you emtied the tv dinner into
a sytrofoam plate (provided) which promptly melted if you over did it (nuked
it).

i was amazed that none of these folks, scientists included, thru out a
plate because there was plastic melted onto/into the food. maybe they
knew that if it wasn't SaranWrap, it was edible. grin --Loren