Kathy and Erich Coiner

Default Plastic Food Wrap, what happened to "Saran Wrap"?

Saran is still on the market.
Peter Meek has a lot of good info in his post.
I will just add that Saran is PVDC poly vinylidene Di Chloride.
This material has one of the lowest Oxygen transmission rates of all
plastics.
The other good one is EVOH but it stops working when it gets wet. but I
digress.
All this means is that Saran does a much better job of keeping food fresh
than Polyethylene or PVC wraps.
PE is great for water transmission but it does squat for Oxygen
transmission.

For those who want to pursue further self study, use the search engine of
choice with these two terms WVTR and O2TR

Erich
ah the things you learn that they don't teach in schools

"Loren Coe" wrote in message

i just saw a commercial for Glad, "Touch & Seal", it reminded me
of 40yr old commercials for SaranWrap, you remember - turn the bowl
upside down?

now i understand that you cannot buy any product like the orig., at
least not imhe(experience), but now i wonder why we are being sold
"new" forty year old technology? was there a patent issue?

just in time for the Holidays, --Loren