Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

Default Q. about leaving trickle charger connected in my diesel car

Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Stirling

In sci.chem.electrochem.battery jtaylor wrote:
Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

It's probably not a good idea.
It may eventually cook the battery.

I know my local stores are selling 24 hour timers for the equivalent of
4$cn.
Put it on for an hour a day, and problem solved.

In cold weather - batteries discharge slower.
At -10C, 1/8th (or so) the rate at 20C.
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

jtaylor wrote:

Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

There's a wonderful product called "Battery Tender". Many guys who own large
motorcycles own them. It's like a wall wart but it comes with lots of different
connector types including lugs, battery clamps, etc. I have a power outlet on my
bike which is designed for connecting power to heated riding clothing, said
outlet which is always connected to the battery. It's ideal for plugging in a
battery tender. Many vehicles have lighter sockets which aren't switched off
when the key is off, these are also excellent ways to trickle charge a battery.
They aren't cheap at around $50 but they work perfectly and seem to last
forever. There are indeed problems with a trickle charger being left on - if you
force current into a charged battery you will just dry out the electrolyte and
damage your battery.

GWE
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
jtaylor wrote:

[...]

The Battery Tender is a good product from the hearsay I've picked up. I put
a 1 amp. charger on a timer and let it run 3 hrs. out of 24. Works good, no
overcharging or lack of electrolyte through the winter and the battery stays
topped up.

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking

jtaylor wrote:
Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

When I worked for a company that had many standby generators I remember
that they used a 50 ma trickle charger for each battery. I'd try
connecting a diode or resistor in series to bring the charge rate down
to that amount.
Engineman

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
wmbjk

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:07:40 -0400, "jtaylor"
wrote:

Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

Here's a charger that's perfect for your application
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=SE112S
Available lots of places, including WalMart.

Wayne
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Battery Tender Plus... Some Motorcycle shop on the net sells them for
$20-40 sometimes. They turn off when the battery is fully charged and
"test" the battery for trickle charging every so often and cyxle back on as
needed.

I keep mine hooked up to my motorcycle 24/7 and batteries tend to last
years.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Yep, I have 4 different brands. One stays on the jet-ski, one on the
race car, and the other "floats".
Don't use a straight cheapo 1-amp trickle charger. Be sure it's an
automatic, solid-state maintainer. Most are design to be mounted to the
vehicle and hard-wired o the battery. very good insurance for your
battery, particularly if it sees a lot of idle time.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Battery Tender Plus... Some Motorcycle shop on the net sells them for
$20-40 sometimes. They turn off when the battery is fully charged and
"test" the battery for trickle charging every so often and cyxle back on as
needed.

I keep mine hooked up to my motorcycle 24/7 and batteries tend to last
years.

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

wrote:

Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

Here's a charger that's perfect for your application
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=SE112S
Available lots of places, including WalMart.

Wayne

That's a Battery Tender clone, should work fine, little cheaper.

GWE
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Nov 2005 17:13:21 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

In sci.chem.electrochem.battery jtaylor wrote:
Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

It's probably not a good idea.
It may eventually cook the battery.

I know my local stores are selling 24 hour timers for the equivalent of
4$cn.
Put it on for an hour a day, and problem solved.

In cold weather - batteries discharge slower.
At -10C, 1/8th (or so) the rate at 20C.

The chances of a 1 amp battery tender damaging the battery are
extremely remote at best.

The charger will help (not much - less than 12 watts) keep the battery
warm and fully topped up. A cold battery looses it's ability to
provide power right when you need it most.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In sci.chem.electrochem.battery jtaylor wrote:
Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord - would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

It's probably not a good idea.
It may eventually cook the battery.

I know my local stores are selling 24 hour timers for the equivalent of
4$cn.
Put it on for an hour a day, and problem solved.

In cold weather - batteries discharge slower.
At -10C, 1/8th (or so) the rate at 20C.

I should have qualified my statement - on a daily runner, the 1 amp
charger will not damage the battery - However, I would NOT leave it
connected over the winter if the vehicle was in storage----
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Battery Tender Plus... Some Motorcycle shop on the net sells them for
$20-40 sometimes. They turn off when the battery is fully charged and
"test" the battery for trickle charging every so often and cyxle back on as
needed.

I keep mine hooked up to my motorcycle 24/7 and batteries tend to last
years.

Anybody have experience with the Harbor Freight equivalent of this
device? They go on sale for $5-$6 occasionally.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Gary Brady wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Battery Tender Plus... Some Motorcycle shop on the net sells them for
$20-40 sometimes. They turn off when the battery is fully charged and
"test" the battery for trickle charging every so often and cyxle back
on as needed.

I keep mine hooked up to my motorcycle 24/7 and batteries tend to last
years.

Anybody have experience with the Harbor Freight equivalent of this
device? They go on sale for $5-$6 occasionally.

I have one, and use it quite a bit, but I don't really trust it.
I have no way of verifying how well it works, compared to the Solar
brand that I have. I also have a 2.5-amp model from HF that cost about
$12 IIRC. I give that one a bit more credibility, but I won't go off and
leave it running for months like I do the Solar.
I have a couple of big gel-cells that I'm pretty particular about.

Rex B
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

would there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected

Yes. You have a small charger, not even a trickle charger. What you
really want is a "float" charger. This is a lower voltage output,
accurately regulated, and it really ought to be temperature sensitive
too.

Using one of these very simple transfomer / diode chargers permanently
is definitley a bad idea - their voltage is high enough to be distinctly
harmful long-term.
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob McDonald

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in
newsnKgf.9285$r96.2524@trndny05:

Battery Tender Plus... Some Motorcycle shop on the net sells them for

Will these units maintain a larger battery? We have a wheel loader (a
Weatherill L61D if I remember the designation correctly) with a six
cylinder Perkins diesel engine. It has two large 6 volt batteries in
series. It is used infrequently. I am about to replace the batteries and
would like to do anything I can to keep them useable as long as possible.

Rob

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
Chuck Sherwood

It has two large 6 volt batteries in series. It is used infrequently.

I think it will work. I use one on a diesel vehicle with two 12 volt
batteries in parallel. The one I have uses a very simple algorithum.
It applies a 1.5 amp charge until the battery reachs 14v. It then
shuts off until the battery voltage drops to 13V. I just plug it
into the cigarette lighter when the vehicle sets more than a few days.

chuck
Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking

Buy one of these for $30 instead:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=SE112S

Keeps 12 volt batteries charged. Fully automatic. Turns on and off as
needed. Allows safe charging of RV, deep-cycle or most batteries that
may have a long storage period. "On Board" feature allows mounting of
charger next to battery on collectibles, street rods and other
infrequently used vehicles. Hardware and mounting brackets are included.

Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
It has two large 6 volt batteries in series. It is used infrequently.

I think it will work. I use one on a diesel vehicle with two 12 volt
batteries in parallel. The one I have uses a very simple algorithum.
It applies a 1.5 amp charge until the battery reachs 14v. It then
shuts off until the battery voltage drops to 13V. I just plug it
into the cigarette lighter when the vehicle sets more than a few days.

chuck

I believe this is exactly the right product. The first chargers turned
on and off depending on the level of current flow. They will continue
to charge regardless of battery voltage which is what eventually will
dry out and kill a battery.

The newer styles instead turn on and off dependant on the voltage level
of the battery, much better for battery life.

dennis
in nca