Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Default Q. about leaving trickle charger connected in my diesel car

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
It has two large 6 volt batteries in series. It is used infrequently.

I think it will work. I use one on a diesel vehicle with two 12 volt
batteries in parallel. The one I have uses a very simple algorithum.
It applies a 1.5 amp charge until the battery reachs 14v. It then
shuts off until the battery voltage drops to 13V. I just plug it
into the cigarette lighter when the vehicle sets more than a few days.

chuck

I believe this is exactly the right product. The first chargers turned
on and off depending on the level of current flow. They will continue
to charge regardless of battery voltage which is what eventually will
dry out and kill a battery.

The newer styles instead turn on and off dependant on the voltage level
of the battery, much better for battery life.

dennis
in nca