Posted to sci.chem.electrochem.battery,rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

Default Q. about leaving trickle charger connected in my diesel car

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
jtaylor wrote:

Got a diesel, and it gets cold here. There's a block heater, but I also
have a 1A charger that could be attached to the same extension cord -
would
there be any drawback/problems with leaving this connected (on the
battery
side) _all_ the time? It's a cheapo transformer & diode unit.

There's a wonderful product called "Battery Tender". Many guys who own
large motorcycles own them. It's like a wall wart but it comes with lots
of different connector types including lugs, battery clamps, etc. I have a
power outlet on my bike which is designed for connecting power to heated
riding clothing, said outlet which is always connected to the battery.
It's ideal for plugging in a battery tender. Many vehicles have lighter
sockets which aren't switched off when the key is off, these are also
excellent ways to trickle charge a battery.
They aren't cheap at around $50 but they work perfectly and seem to last
forever. There are indeed problems with a trickle charger being left on -
if you force current into a charged battery you will just dry out the
electrolyte and damage your battery.

GWE

The Battery Tender is a good product from the hearsay I've picked up. I put
a 1 amp. charger on a timer and let it run 3 hrs. out of 24. Works good, no
overcharging or lack of electrolyte through the winter and the battery stays
topped up.