Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman

Default Lawyers gone wild in the grade school science fair

I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this.

I am helping my neice with her science fair project and among the standard
forms required to be pasted on the front of your display is this:

SAFETY SHEET

The Illinois Junior Academy of Science

Directions: The student is asked to read this introduction carefully, fill
out the bottom of this sheet, and sign it. The science teacher and/or
advisor must sign in the indicated space.

SAFETY AND THE STUDENT: Experimentation or research may involve an element
of risk or injury to the student and to others. Recognition of such hazards
and provision for adequate control measures are joint responsibilities of
the student and the sponsor. Some of the more common risks encountered in
research are those of electrical shock, infection from pathogenic organisms,
uncontrolled reactions of incompatible chemicals, eye injury from materials
or procedures, and fire in apparatus or work area. Countering these hazards
and others with suitable controls is an integral part of good scientific
research.

In the space below, list the principal hazards associated with your project,
if any, and what specific precautions you have used as safeguards. Be sure
to read the entire section in the Policy and Procedure Manual of the
Illinois Junior Academy of Science entitled "SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR
EXPERIMENTATION" before completing this form.

I first saw this with last years project, and I sent it in with about 20
pages of MSDS sheets for things like vinegar and baking soda.

This year I noticed that they have two more forms (required if applicable).

The "Humans as test subjects endorsement" and the "Non-human vertebrate
endorsement"

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Paul K. Dickman says...

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

Ah, it's always been that way. PETA just never gets
worked up about insects.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this.

I am helping my neice with her science fair project and among the standard
forms required to be pasted on the front of your display is this:

I don't know about grade school, but the typical high schooler's first
ideas for a science fair project can be a bit on the risky side.
Without some forms like this to get kids thinking about safety,
they WON'T! Ever see a 15 year-old get in a car and drive?

I can imagine some kid (almost got to be male) demonstrating a
liquid-fueled rocket engine inside a gym with 1000 people milling about,
and not having the slightest thought about safety.
(Hmm, this does remind me of a friend's wife who actually BUILT
a liquid-fueled rocket with some friends, and made several launches with
it! Then one of the crew (male, of course) filled it to the brim with
fuel, loaded a mouse as the astronaut, and blew the thing up while
standing a couple feet away. He was fine, she was several hundred yards
away and running for her life, and got a big chunk of shrapnel
in the back of her calf. Hope there was no mouse in there with it!
Happens every time though, the idiot gets off without a scratch,
the person running away because disaster is totally obvious is the
one who gets hurt. Supposedly, some of the shrapnel is still in her
leg. Must be fun at the airport security screening!)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

I always wanted to go to a PETA rally with the sign: "SAVE THE AMOEBA"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

I always wanted to go to a PETA rally with the sign: "SAVE THE AMOEBA"

They might end up picketing you with signs that say "SAVE THE PATINA"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Paul K. Dickman says...

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

Ah, it's always been that way. PETA just never gets
worked up about insects.

Jim

please reply to:

Actually they do, they seem to feel that lobsters and such (without
brains) feel pain when being boiled.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

This again shows how we as a nation are 'shooting our selves in
our foot' by allowing the educational professionals to teach only
the things that don't make a mess, are 'safe,' and are easy to
terst for [i.e. machine scorable bingo card].

Of course it is precicely the things that make a mess, are
somewhat or even very dangerous [welding, machining, electricity,
plumbing, etc.] and are hard to evaluate [other than actual
student performance by a qualified expert in the field] that are
critical to the economy and of interest/use to the students.

I am waiting for the new required course "Being Politically
Correct and Multi-Cultural in the Unemployment Line."

Uncle George

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:53:28 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Paul K. Dickman writes:

SAFETY SHEET

When I was in high school, at the state fair there was a bright fellow who
had made a miniature wind tunnel using a vacuum cleaner and a box with a
glass side. Little slipstream tubes were fed by this apparatus sucking
on--get this--a LIGHTED CIGAR! Made cute little streams of smoke in the
tunnel so you could see the aerodynamics in action.

They won't let you ignite anything today. Not to mention the evil tobacco
carcinogen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Paul K. Dickman writes:

SAFETY SHEET

When I was in high school, at the state fair there was a bright fellow who
had made a miniature wind tunnel using a vacuum cleaner and a box with a
glass side. Little slipstream tubes were fed by this apparatus sucking
on--get this--a LIGHTED CIGAR! Made cute little streams of smoke in the
tunnel so you could see the aerodynamics in action.

They won't let you ignite anything today. Not to mention the evil tobacco
carcinogen.

I've seen science fair projects that would have the fire mashall
go into a fit today. There was a guy who built a 6 foot robot that
walked. He made a 33 1/3 RPM record (actually, could have been
78, but, 12" anyway) with tones on it. The robot decoded the tones
and actuated the right motors. Well, one skip on the record and the
robot crashes through the crowd! (Didn't happen, but a possibility.)

I didn't see this, but somebody built a cyclotron. Yeah, ion beams
at a couple MeV passing through the crowd - real good.

I know of a couple of Van de Graff accelerators, up to a MeV or
so. Stuff heated with Acetylene/Oxygen torches to show the line
spectra. There's plenty to go wrong if idiots are on the loose. Of
course, anybody that could actually build this kind of stuff when
only 16-18 is obviously NOT an idiot.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:24:24 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

I didn't see this, but somebody built a cyclotron. Yeah, ion beams
at a couple MeV passing through the crowd - real good.

I know of a couple of Van de Graff accelerators, up to a MeV or
so. Stuff heated with Acetylene/Oxygen torches to show the line
spectra. There's plenty to go wrong if idiots are on the loose. Of
course, anybody that could actually build this kind of stuff when
only 16-18 is obviously NOT an idiot.

Google for "radioactive boy scout". From all indications from reliable
sources (snopes, etc) it's a legitimate report.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:24:24 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

I didn't see this, but somebody built a cyclotron. Yeah, ion beams
at a couple MeV passing through the crowd - real good.

I know of a couple of Van de Graff accelerators, up to a MeV or
so. Stuff heated with Acetylene/Oxygen torches to show the line
spectra. There's plenty to go wrong if idiots are on the loose. Of
course, anybody that could actually build this kind of stuff when
only 16-18 is obviously NOT an idiot.

Google for "radioactive boy scout". From all indications from reliable
sources (snopes, etc) it's a legitimate report.

That was NOT a science fair project. But, I'm sure some radioactive
projects
that were commonplace in the 1950's would be an NRC violation today.
A friend of mine built a cloud chamber in his basement when we were
barely teens, and bought the needle with the radioactive material on the
tip at the local hobby store. Hmmm, even the dry ice and alcohol would
be a problem today!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:37:13 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Google for "radioactive boy scout". From all indications from reliable
sources (snopes, etc) it's a legitimate report.

That was NOT a science fair project.

Yes, I know. But this is Usenet. Topic drift happens.

But, I'm sure some radioactive
projects
that were commonplace in the 1950's would be an NRC violation today.
A friend of mine built a cloud chamber in his basement when we were
barely teens, and bought the needle with the radioactive material on the
tip at the local hobby store. Hmmm, even the dry ice and alcohol would
be a problem today!

Let's see...the 2 liter bottle thing would probably be called an
"improvised explosive" today, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

When I built a cloud chamber to photograph star trails (:-) I had to check out
on a short leash the source from White Sands. It was on short loan and was
a JIT for development and then back - then JIT for School show then back then
JIT for Regional. The next year I did a numerical controller (switches doing a game)
and stayed away from the government oversight. The teachers had no idea what was
going on - My Dad did and that was the first contact - then officially through
the school. Big PITA.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

[...]

One of my Canada Wide Science Fair Projects included a ~30W CO2 laser.

I lost marks because I had left it at home...

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson

jim rozen wrote:

Ah, it's always been that way. PETA just never gets
worked up about insects.

However, the more obscure PETI really gets it's knickers in a knot over
the mistreatment of insects.

And don't forget the folks that think plants have feelings!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken

"Jon Anderson" wrote:
jim rozen wrote:

Ah, it's always been that way. PETA just never gets
worked up about insects.

However, the more obscure PETI really gets it's knickers in a knot over
the mistreatment of insects.

And don't forget the folks that think plants have feelings!

You mean like this fellow?
http://www.lisamcpherson.org/cos/images/tomato.jpg

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:17:29 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

You mean like this fellow?
http://www.lisamcpherson.org/cos/images/tomato.jpg

That's Elron Hubbard. You can experiment on him all you like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

wrote:

A friend of mine built a cloud chamber in his basement when we were
barely teens, and bought the needle with the radioactive material on the
tip at the local hobby store.

I built a cloud chamber in the late '70s (VdG too) I never did find a
good radium source for it - all the luminous altimeter needles etc. I
could find were 30 years old and somewhat tired.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

My personal favorite is "Save the NAUGA"
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On 17 Nov 2005 06:18:54 -0800, "Bugs" wrote:

My personal favorite is "Save the NAUGA"
Bugs

Somewhere around here I have a real chunk of Hyde with a picture of
a real Nauga printed on the backing. Ugly little cuss. ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

wrote:

You mean like this fellow?
http://www.lisamcpherson.org/cos/images/tomato.jpg

That's Elron Hubbard. You can experiment on him all you like.

Not any more you can't, he's dead.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 17 Nov 2005 06:18:54 -0800, Bugs wrote:
My personal favorite is "Save the NAUGA"

My mom's _got_ a nauga... cute little thing. Sharp looking teeth,
though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Paul K. Dickman says...

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

Ah, it's always been that way. PETA just never gets
worked up about insects.

Jim

PETA??

PETA??

Oh, you mean "People Eating Tasty Animals?"

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:31:28 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon
Anderson quickly quoth:

jim rozen wrote:

Ah, it's always been that way. PETA just never gets
worked up about insects.

However, the more obscure PETI really gets it's knickers in a knot over
the mistreatment of insects.

And don't forget the folks that think plants have feelings!

Hey, just because_you_ can't hear them scream doesn't mean...

REBOOT AMERICA!
-----------------------
http://diversify.com Website Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article .com,
"Bugs" wrote:

My personal favorite is "Save the NAUGA"
Bugs

Hey! Quit snickering! Do you know how many naugas it takes to make a
single recliner?!?!? And the suffering they go through in their final
hours on this earth? It's enough to make a strong man weep if you ever
see it in person... Those poor little thing...

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

wrote:

A friend of mine built a cloud chamber in his basement when we were
barely teens, and bought the needle with the radioactive material on the
tip at the local hobby store.

I built a cloud chamber in the late '70s (VdG too) I never did find a
good radium source for it - all the luminous altimeter needles etc. I
could find were 30 years old and somewhat tired.

that's because they were phosphorescent pointers, not true radium
sources. Radium has a REALLY long half life! Yes, I'm sure
real radium dials are going to be REALLY hard to find, even by
the late 70s. The Americium sources in smoke alarms make a good
alpha source, and have a decent half life.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On 17 Nov 2005 17:47:56 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

That's Elron Hubbard. You can experiment on him all you like.

Not any more you can't, he's dead.

So? 8-)

You mocked my re-animation experiments! But I will show the world yet!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:27:08 -0800, Don Bruder wrote:

Hey! Quit snickering! Do you know how many naugas it takes to make a
single recliner?!?!?

Of course - they have a website all about it.

(They shed their skins, you don't have to peel them)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:33:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce
L. Bergman quickly quoth:

On 17 Nov 2005 06:18:54 -0800, "Bugs" wrote:

My personal favorite is "Save the NAUGA"
Bugs

Somewhere around here I have a real chunk of Hyde with a picture of
a real Nauga printed on the backing. Ugly little cuss. ;-)

g You've seen the signs on the way out of town, right? I've never
seen one of the little critters, but my sig is to help them from
becoming extinct.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Andy Dingley :
wrote:

You mean like this fellow?
http://www.lisamcpherson.org/cos/images/tomato.jpg

That's Elron Hubbard. You can experiment on him all you like.

You mean "L. Ron Hubbard"? The Science fiction author and the
founder of Scientology?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

[...]

I guess that includes lawyers.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
badaztek

heres something that is funny ,as in funny i mean "It figures" ,most
anybody out there remembers the oklahoma city bombing and the damage
that was caused from fertilizer and diesel fuel,well here's the funny
part ,the U.S. government back in the 30's gave out a booklet to farmers
all over the country that told how to make that explosive and for free
,it was so farmers had a cheaper alternative to dynamite to blow out
stumps since they already had these materials on hand

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

badaztek wrote:

heres something that is funny ,as in funny i mean "It figures" ,most
anybody out there remembers the oklahoma city bombing and the damage
that was caused from fertilizer and diesel fuel,well here's the funny
part ,the U.S. government back in the 30's gave out a booklet to farmers
all over the country that told how to make that explosive and for free
,it was so farmers had a cheaper alternative to dynamite to blow out
stumps since they already had these materials on hand

Really? How many diesel farm tractors can you name that were common
in the US in the 30s?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Tom wrote:
badaztek wrote:

heres something that is funny ,as in funny i mean "It figures" ,most
anybody out there remembers the oklahoma city bombing and the damage
that was caused from fertilizer and diesel fuel,well here's the funny
part ,the U.S. government back in the 30's gave out a booklet to farmers
all over the country that told how to make that explosive and for free
,it was so farmers had a cheaper alternative to dynamite to blow out
stumps since they already had these materials on hand

Really? How many diesel farm tractors can you name that were common
in the US in the 30s?

The formula was in my high school chem
textbook, circa 1968.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
badaztek wrote:

heres something that is funny ,as in funny i mean "It figures" ,most
anybody out there remembers the oklahoma city bombing and the damage
that was caused from fertilizer and diesel fuel,well here's the funny
part ,the U.S. government back in the 30's gave out a booklet to farmers
all over the country that told how to make that explosive and for free
,it was so farmers had a cheaper alternative to dynamite to blow out
stumps since they already had these materials on hand

Really? How many diesel farm tractors can you name that were common
in the US in the 30s?

Perhaps you need to reread the original post more carefully,
then read my response.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:06:18 +1300, Tom wrote:

Really? How many diesel farm tractors can you name that were common
in the US in the 30s?

I'm in the UK, not the USA. We didn't have all that many diesel tractors
at the time, but we had plenty of TVO tractors - Tractor/Traction
Vapourising Oil. This is a low-compression spark-ignition engine that
starts on petrol then switches to paraffin (kerosene) once warmed up.

Of the stationary engines, "heavy oil" engines probably outnumbered
petrol. These would typically be semi-diesels, compression ignition with
hot-bulbs.

You'll probably enjoy reading this article (Google will have it)

From: Chris
Newsgroups: uk.rec.engines.stationary,uk.rec.waterways
Subject: A nice project for the Hot Bulb enthusiast?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:37:12 -0400

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Tom wrote:
badaztek wrote:

heres something that is funny ,as in funny i mean "It figures" ,most
anybody out there remembers the oklahoma city bombing and the damage
that was caused from fertilizer and diesel fuel,well here's the funny
part ,the U.S. government back in the 30's gave out a booklet to farmers
all over the country that told how to make that explosive and for free
,it was so farmers had a cheaper alternative to dynamite to blow out
stumps since they already had these materials on hand

Really? How many diesel farm tractors can you name that were common
in the US in the 30s?

It doesn't have to be tractor fuel. There were a LOT of people who
used kerosene for space heaters, lanterns, as a fire starter, utility
solvent, etc. Plain kerosene would work just as well for the ANFO
explosive. (Oh oh, hope DHS won't pay me a visit for this post!)

Jon

From: Chris
Newsgroups: uk.rec.engines.stationary,uk.rec.waterways
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:37:12 -0400

I am aware of TVO, I have several myself, albeit of US
origin.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Jon Elson wrote:

Tom wrote:
badaztek wrote:

[...]

Yep, you're right, I should have noticed that kerosene is now
spelt "diesel".