Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Lawyers gone wild in the grade school science fair

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this.

I am helping my neice with her science fair project and among the standard
forms required to be pasted on the front of your display is this:

I don't know about grade school, but the typical high schooler's first
ideas for a science fair project can be a bit on the risky side.
Without some forms like this to get kids thinking about safety,
they WON'T! Ever see a 15 year-old get in a car and drive?

I can imagine some kid (almost got to be male) demonstrating a
liquid-fueled rocket engine inside a gym with 1000 people milling about,
and not having the slightest thought about safety.
(Hmm, this does remind me of a friend's wife who actually BUILT
a liquid-fueled rocket with some friends, and made several launches with
it! Then one of the crew (male, of course) filled it to the brim with
fuel, loaded a mouse as the astronaut, and blew the thing up while
standing a couple feet away. He was fine, she was several hundred yards
away and running for her life, and got a big chunk of shrapnel
in the back of her calf. Hope there was no mouse in there with it!
Happens every time though, the idiot gets off without a scratch,
the person running away because disaster is totally obvious is the
one who gets hurt. Supposedly, some of the shrapnel is still in her
leg. Must be fun at the airport security screening!)

Jon