Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman

Default Lawyers gone wild in the grade school science fair

I thought you guys would get a chuckle out of this.

I am helping my neice with her science fair project and among the standard
forms required to be pasted on the front of your display is this:

SAFETY SHEET

The Illinois Junior Academy of Science

Directions: The student is asked to read this introduction carefully, fill
out the bottom of this sheet, and sign it. The science teacher and/or
advisor must sign in the indicated space.

SAFETY AND THE STUDENT: Experimentation or research may involve an element
of risk or injury to the student and to others. Recognition of such hazards
and provision for adequate control measures are joint responsibilities of
the student and the sponsor. Some of the more common risks encountered in
research are those of electrical shock, infection from pathogenic organisms,
uncontrolled reactions of incompatible chemicals, eye injury from materials
or procedures, and fire in apparatus or work area. Countering these hazards
and others with suitable controls is an integral part of good scientific
research.

In the space below, list the principal hazards associated with your project,
if any, and what specific precautions you have used as safeguards. Be sure
to read the entire section in the Policy and Procedure Manual of the
Illinois Junior Academy of Science entitled "SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR
EXPERIMENTATION" before completing this form.

I first saw this with last years project, and I sent it in with about 20
pages of MSDS sheets for things like vinegar and baking soda.

This year I noticed that they have two more forms (required if applicable).

The "Humans as test subjects endorsement" and the "Non-human vertebrate
endorsement"

Apparantly it's open season for invertebrates.

Paul K. Dickman