User Example

Default Newbie he Where to get metal cheap?

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found a
2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

Jerry Foster

Sorry, guy, but you just pushed one of my buttons...

When you ask a "where can I find" question, TELL US WHERE YOU ARE...

I am in San Jose, CA, and I can tell you several places to get aluminum for
$2 - $3 a pound. But it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you are in,
say, New Jersey.

But I'm sure there are people in that area on this NG who would be more than
willing to help you if they knew you were a neighbor...

Jerry

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found

2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of

money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

AL

If you live in the midwest, have a look at the "value packs" from
metalexpress.net. If you live near one of their stores, you can order on
the web and then pick it up. If you need to have it shipped, it might not
be worth it.

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found
a 2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of
money to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

Try South Auckland.

Dan

PrecisionMachinisT

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found

2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of

money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,

****ing trool, else a blithering idiot....( perhaps both )

Let the rest em decide, my mind was made up quite a long time ago.........

--

SVL

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:34:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "User
Example" quickly quoth:

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found a
2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of money
to spend to make an ashtray.

Go "downtown", ask for "Smitty". He sells scrap on the Black Market
there in "Your Town", Someone.

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design
Anthony

"User Example" wrote in
m:

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on
where to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online
and found a 2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90.
That's a lot of money to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not
go broke I'd like to hear.

Metals are sold by the pound, and the price varies daily with the
commodities market. Your best luck is probably a scrap metal dealer.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Emmo

Well, now that you say that you are in Austin...

If you go to Westbrook Metals, which is just behind the intersection of
Lamar and Airport, they don't mind if you walk around and pick up stuff off
of the floor over near the saw. The good hunks are often put up on the
shelves right next to the saw. Just pick them up and take them into the
sales room and they will measure them and price them for you.

They also have lots of Al, Brass, and such on the shelves as you walk into
the shop in various lengths and sizes, again, just get the pieces you want
and take them into the sales room. Of course, don't mess up the shelves,
and put things back in the slots you found them in. If you can't find
something, ask one of the guys and they will point you to the location. For
example, stainless is way over in a different corner, steel plate is over
behind the big shear, but the Aluminum you are looking for is right at the
doorway. The stock is labeled as to it's alloy, and there is more around
the corner.

Westbrook can be expensive though, so another place is CMC. This is a
salvage yard down south on Industrial Blvd, just off 35. You might have to
look them up, as I don't know the exact address. You can walk the yard
there and find big stuff, mostly steel, if you want smaller or better stuff
like stainless or copper you need to go into the warehouse where they really
get ****ed if you don't check in and get a hardhat.

There is another place I have been to once, Schupan Aluminum, look in the
phone book. But if you're in town, go to Westbrook first.

By the way, the East Austin Studio Tour is coming up and there are a number
of metal crafts studios open for visiting. Don't miss this!
http://www.eastaustinstudiotour.com/

[...]

Errol Groff

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:34:22 GMT, "User Example"
wrote:

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found a
2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

I just got home with 210 pounds of steel (cold rolled in .625, .750,
1.000 diameters) in the wife's van. Paid $.60 per pound plus cutting
charge (to get the 20 footers into the van) for a total of $123.00
The math doesn't add up I know.

Their normal price from the overstock rack is .75 per pound but I spun
a sad, but true, story of being out of stock and out of budget money
for my students projects.

Logan Steel in Meriden CT http://logansteel.com/

BTW there are a number of new photo sets on the New England Model
Engineering Society site. Address below.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Martin H. Eastburn

I'm out south east of you and we have scrap yards here - they buy Al and steel and ...
They sell anything they have and buy anything you have. All by pounds level - and
yes they always make some money. Cans are not what you want to use to melt with.
Wrong alloy.
Look in phone book - for scrap dealers. I want to say there was one near IBM -
but that was 25 years ago.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

User Example wrote:
I was just asking for general ideas. But I am in Austin, TX, so if there
are any locals who can offer specifics that would be nice too.

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
et...

Sorry, guy, but you just pushed one of my buttons...

When you ask a "where can I find" question, TELL US WHERE YOU ARE...

I am in San Jose, CA, and I can tell you several places to get aluminum
for
$2 - $3 a pound. But it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you are in,
say, New Jersey.

But I'm sure there are people in that area on this NG who would be more
than
willing to help you if they knew you were a neighbor...

Jerry

"User Example" wrote in message
. com...

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on
where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and
found

2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of

money

to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

Pete C.

Emmo wrote:

[...]

Got any recommendations for metal suppliers in the Denison, TX area?
Particularly for aluminum drops? I've found a few steel suppliers and
since the cost isn't bad I'll always buy full sticks and put the excess
on my rack for future projects, but with aluminum this can be a bit too
expensive. I recently needed about a 4" long chunk of 3" dia aluminum,
something in the 6xxx or 7xxx series probably, although that project
died before I found a good source.

Thanks,

Pete C.
brassbend

Jerry,
I went to the Lowel's down here in Laredo (close enough?) and they had a
nice display of Brass that had ideal sizes for turning. Next week I went
back and the display was "no mas". Our end of Texas has very little
manufacturing and very little interest in such things. The local library
had one book on Lathes and it was a religious work! Good luck up in Austin!

LB

[...]

Gary Brady

User Example wrote:
I was just asking for general ideas. But I am in Austin, TX, so if there
are any locals who can offer specifics that would be nice too.

I just stumbled onto this thread, but I'll second the motion that Steve
made on Commercial Metals on Industrial Blvd. I've picked up several
pieces of round stock there that, while of unknown content, are not mild
steel and are pretty good to play with on a lathe. Lots of structural
pieces, angles, plates and such, in small chunks, too.

And, now that it's cool, I could probably be talked into casting some
aluminum into some special shape, if you need that. :)
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX