Errol Groff

Default Newbie he Where to get metal cheap?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:34:22 GMT, "User Example"
wrote:

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and found a
2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

I just got home with 210 pounds of steel (cold rolled in .625, .750,
1.000 diameters) in the wife's van. Paid $.60 per pound plus cutting
charge (to get the 20 footers into the van) for a total of $123.00
The math doesn't add up I know.

Their normal price from the overstock rack is .75 per pound but I spun
a sad, but true, story of being out of stock and out of budget money
for my students projects.

Logan Steel in Meriden CT http://logansteel.com/

BTW there are a number of new photo sets on the New England Model
Engineering Society site. Address below.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street