Martin H. Eastburn

Default Newbie he Where to get metal cheap?

I'm out south east of you and we have scrap yards here - they buy Al and steel and ...
They sell anything they have and buy anything you have. All by pounds level - and
yes they always make some money. Cans are not what you want to use to melt with.
Wrong alloy.
Look in phone book - for scrap dealers. I want to say there was one near IBM -
but that was 25 years ago.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

User Example wrote:
I was just asking for general ideas. But I am in Austin, TX, so if there
are any locals who can offer specifics that would be nice too.

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
et...

Sorry, guy, but you just pushed one of my buttons...

When you ask a "where can I find" question, TELL US WHERE YOU ARE...

I am in San Jose, CA, and I can tell you several places to get aluminum
for
$2 - $3 a pound. But it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you are in,
say, New Jersey.

But I'm sure there are people in that area on this NG who would be more
than
willing to help you if they knew you were a neighbor...

Jerry

"User Example" wrote in message
. com...

Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on
where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and
found

2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of

money

to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary