brassbend

Default Newbie he Where to get metal cheap?

Jerry,
I went to the Lowel's down here in Laredo (close enough?) and they had a
nice display of Brass that had ideal sizes for turning. Next week I went
back and the display was "no mas". Our end of Texas has very little
manufacturing and very little interest in such things. The local library
had one book on Lathes and it was a religious work! Good luck up in Austin!

LB

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
I was just asking for general ideas. But I am in Austin, TX, so if there
are any locals who can offer specifics that would be nice too.

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
et...
Sorry, guy, but you just pushed one of my buttons...

When you ask a "where can I find" question, TELL US WHERE YOU ARE...

I am in San Jose, CA, and I can tell you several places to get aluminum
for
$2 - $3 a pound. But it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you are

in,
say, New Jersey.

But I'm sure there are people in that area on this NG who would be more
than
willing to help you if they knew you were a neighbor...

Jerry

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on
where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and
found

2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of

money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not

go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary