Pete C.

Default Newbie he Where to get metal cheap?

Emmo wrote:

Well, now that you say that you are in Austin...

If you go to Westbrook Metals, which is just behind the intersection of
Lamar and Airport, they don't mind if you walk around and pick up stuff off
of the floor over near the saw. The good hunks are often put up on the
shelves right next to the saw. Just pick them up and take them into the
sales room and they will measure them and price them for you.

They also have lots of Al, Brass, and such on the shelves as you walk into
the shop in various lengths and sizes, again, just get the pieces you want
and take them into the sales room. Of course, don't mess up the shelves,
and put things back in the slots you found them in. If you can't find
something, ask one of the guys and they will point you to the location. For
example, stainless is way over in a different corner, steel plate is over
behind the big shear, but the Aluminum you are looking for is right at the
doorway. The stock is labeled as to it's alloy, and there is more around
the corner.

Westbrook can be expensive though, so another place is CMC. This is a
salvage yard down south on Industrial Blvd, just off 35. You might have to
look them up, as I don't know the exact address. You can walk the yard
there and find big stuff, mostly steel, if you want smaller or better stuff
like stainless or copper you need to go into the warehouse where they really
get ****ed if you don't check in and get a hardhat.

There is another place I have been to once, Schupan Aluminum, look in the
phone book. But if you're in town, go to Westbrook first.

By the way, the East Austin Studio Tour is coming up and there are a number
of metal crafts studios open for visiting. Don't miss this!
http://www.eastaustinstudiotour.com/

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
I was just asking for general ideas. But I am in Austin, TX, so if there
are any locals who can offer specifics that would be nice too.

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
et...
Sorry, guy, but you just pushed one of my buttons...

When you ask a "where can I find" question, TELL US WHERE YOU ARE...

I am in San Jose, CA, and I can tell you several places to get aluminum
for
$2 - $3 a pound. But it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you are in,
say, New Jersey.

But I'm sure there are people in that area on this NG who would be more
than
willing to help you if they knew you were a neighbor...

Jerry

"User Example" wrote in message
m...
Just got a chinese mini mill and want to play with it. Any hints on
where
to find scrap metal to work with like aluminum? I looked online and
found
2" x 2" x 6" piece of aluminum and it was around $90. That's a lot of
money
to spend to make an ashtray.

So, if you have any ideas how I can have fun with my new hobby and not
go
broke I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
Gary

Got any recommendations for metal suppliers in the Denison, TX area?
Particularly for aluminum drops? I've found a few steel suppliers and
since the cost isn't bad I'll always buy full sticks and put the excess
on my rack for future projects, but with aluminum this can be a bit too
expensive. I recently needed about a 4" long chunk of 3" dia aluminum,
something in the 6xxx or 7xxx series probably, although that project
died before I found a good source.

Thanks,

Pete C.