Dave

Default Fun things to do with a 9,000 volt transformer

Ignoramus27736 wrote:
I got a dozen of 9,000V franceformers. I wonder if I can make
some sort of a fun, safe thing with them, possibly halloween
related. Suggestions to make a corpse out of me for Halloween
decorations will not be seriously considered.

Rated how many VA ? What part of France? I can't think of anything.
Make a remote push-button perch for your horde of local English
Sparrows.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Dave" wrote in message
ps.com...
Ignoramus27736 wrote:
I got a dozen of 9,000V franceformers. I wonder if I can make
some sort of a fun, safe thing with them, possibly halloween
related. Suggestions to make a corpse out of me for Halloween
decorations will not be seriously considered.

Rated how many VA ? What part of France? I can't think of anything.
Make a remote push-button perch for your horde of local English
Sparrows.

'makes a dandy rat/mouse trap with a simple aluminum foil tape grid (to walk
on) and a tilt-switch to apply power to the grid. The critters won't go on
it when it's energized... they can smell the ozone or feel the corona
discharge... whatever.... so it needs to be hot only when they're standing
on the grid.

Did you know a common grey mouse can jump almost three feet high with 10KV
under his toes?

LLoyd

LLoyd

Tim Killian

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ignoramus27736 wrote:

[...]

Common grey mouse? -- the same thing happens to you average grey-haired
human when 10 kV "activates" large muscle groups. HV like you're talking
about can kill people - please be responsible.
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
Common grey mouse? -- the same thing happens to you average grey-haired
human when 10 kV "activates" large muscle groups. HV like you're talking
about can kill people - please be responsible.

Aw.... Phooey! Didja think I was going to make a 10KV floor mat for the
front door of my house?

It's a rat trap; enclosed. The user (human) doesn't touch the HV circuitry.
The mouse does.

That's sorta-kinda the purpose of a rat trap, no? Kill the mouse, preserve
the human?

(please think responsibly)

LLoyd

Don Foreman

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:46:40 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ignoramus27736 wrote:
I got a dozen of 9,000V franceformers. I wonder if I can make
some sort of a fun, safe thing with them, possibly halloween
related. Suggestions to make a corpse out of me for Halloween
decorations will not be seriously considered.

Rated how many VA ? What part of France? I can't think of anything.
Make a remote push-button perch for your horde of local English
Sparrows.

'makes a dandy rat/mouse trap with a simple aluminum foil tape grid (to walk
on) and a tilt-switch to apply power to the grid. The critters won't go on
it when it's energized... they can smell the ozone or feel the corona
discharge... whatever.... so it needs to be hot only when they're standing
on the grid.

Did you know a common grey mouse can jump almost three feet high with 10KV
under his toes?

France makes oil ignition transformers, and neon transformers which
are electrically quite similar. Given the 9KV rating, it's probably
neon or possibly aircleaner. They're not like auto ignition coils
that produce low-energy sparks. They're more constant-current devices
with high dynamic Z, so once a spark establishes a path it will become
an arc even if the pathlength is significantly extended. e.g.,
Jacob's ladder.

Once an arc starts, as by a mouse, it may not go out even when the
mouse has become char. There's enough power there to create
significant heat. Hence --- fire hazard.

I once made a mosquito zapper from an oil ignition transformer,
hardware cloth grids and an F15T8BLB UV tube. I don't know what got
into it , but it melted clear down. The tube was reduced to a gob of
glass. Fortunately, it was on a pole in the back yard.

Rex B

Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:46:40 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ignoramus27736 wrote:

[...]

OK, so now we're talking rodent-fueled space heater!
Cheap shop heat!
Gunner

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:41:57 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
Common grey mouse? -- the same thing happens to you average grey-haired
human when 10 kV "activates" large muscle groups. HV like you're talking
about can kill people - please be responsible.

Aw.... Phooey! Didja think I was going to make a 10KV floor mat for the
front door of my house?

I wonder how high the average Jojoba Witness can be launched?

I suppose it would make a difference if it were male or female...and
would it set the Watchtowers on fire?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave

xray wrote:
Ignoramus27736 wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
Ignoramus27736 wrote:
I got a dozen of 9,000V franceformers. I wonder if I can make
some sort of a fun, safe thing with them, possibly halloween
related. Suggestions to make a corpse out of me for Halloween
decorations will not be seriously considered.

Rated how many VA ? What part of France? I can't think of anything.
Make a remote push-button perch for your horde of local English
Sparrows.

'makes a dandy rat/mouse trap with a simple aluminum foil tape
grid (to walk on) and a tilt-switch to apply power to the grid.
The critters won't go on it when it's energized... they can
smell the ozone or feel the corona discharge... whatever.... so
it needs to be hot only when they're standing on the grid.

Did you know a common grey mouse can jump almost three feet high
with 10KV under his toes?

You know, this does actually sound practically useful.

Seems like it might be a good idea to provide a way to have it turn
back off after a few seconds. I don't think I would enjoy the smell
of burning rat.

Maybe the primary should be in series with an appropriate light bulb.
Obviously a good mechanical design would be needed to keep the
electrodes clear.

granpaw

Gunner wrote:
snip
I wonder how high the average Jojoba Witness can be launched?

I suppose it would make a difference if it were male or female...and
would it set the Watchtowers on fire?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Might bring the 'rapture' to mind ya think?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Seems like it might be a good idea to provide a way to have it turn
back off after a few seconds. I don't think I would enjoy the smell
of burning rat.

Maybe the primary should be in series with an appropriate light bulb.
Obviously a good mechanical design would be needed to keep the
electrodes clear.

I actually built one of these (or I wouldn't have known about the mice not
using the ramp when it's on). However, it was an "observed" machine. I had
so many mice and rats in my goat barn that they'd come out even if you were
working there.

So, I set the thing up on a light circuit (with wall switch), loaded the
bait tray with sweet-feed, got a can of beer, sat by the switch, and just
watched.

The tip-tray actually was the switch... no mechanical parts, per-se. It
would just fall down against one of the secondary terminals. 10KV doesn't
jump very far in dry air, so (IIRC) my switch gap was only about 1/4".

When thumping noises, zzzzaaaaapppp!s, and smoke emerged from the tunnel, I
just flicked off the light switch and killed the power. One mouse launched
out the end of the tunnel like a bullet -- stone, cold dead, but at very
high speed! G

LLoyd

Identify High Current Power Supply Transformer pinpassion Electronics Repair 1 June 12th 05 12:08 PM
Taking apart a large transformer Doug Kanter Metalworking 131 January 28th 05 03:29 AM
Correction-Sony KV-1952RS TV Smoke/Flyback Transformer Novice Question Marc Electronics Repair 3 October 13th 04 05:20 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
it's the little things which can kill you. pyotr filipivich Metalworking 51 December 29th 03 01:41 PM