Marc

Default Correction-Sony KV-1952RS TV Smoke/Flyback Transformer Novice Question

Sorry guys,

about ten minutes after I posted, (see below) I located a photo of a
similar new flyback transformer, and it appears that the "L" shaped
metal rod previously mentioned was originally a sort of "U" shaped
rod, (top to bottom) and that it is burnt into two separate pieces.

I did not know that, and the flyback transformer is still soldered to
the board, so it is a bit difficult to see.

Now, here is my question: Is this burnt flyback transformer possibly
or probably symptomatic of a larger problem?

Also, knowing how parts over the years are sometimes superseded, or
discontinued, is this part ((1-439-254-12, (2M13M)) still available,
and/or is there a cross number parts reference
guide?

Again, all help is welcome,

Thanks,

Marc
----------------------
(original post)

OK, all of you experienced tv repair gurus, I am a novice, so take it
easy on me if I do not get the terminology exactly right...

I have a Sony KV-1952RS Trinitron Television that I purchased new in
1983. (please don't laugh)

Until a few nights ago, this television has been great, with
outstanding color and reception.

Here is what happened...

I turned it on and it played for about an hour, then it started
smoking.

I unplugged it immediately, and the first chance that I got, I pulled
the back off to see if there was anything obvious that might be
repaired.

The area that showed signs of smoke and burnt material, was part
number, 1-439-254-12, (2M13M) (flyback transformer)

I have never opened a television, so I do not know what this part is
supposed to look like when it is new, but there is an "L" shaped
cylindrical metal rod on one side of the flyback transformer.

Judging by the "burnt" material, it appears that there was, at one
time, some sort of insulation, or coating on this rod. I am not sure
how this rod was attached to the flyback transformer, but
it was just sitting on the flyback transformer, and lifted off.

I'm guessing that (at the very least) that the flyback transformer is
burnt, but I am wondering if something else might have caused this
part to burn up? sort of a "chain reaction"???

Oddly enough, (at least to me) neither fuse was blown. I checked them
both, and they are the correct size. (so NO over fusing)

I do not have the solder expertise to de-solder and replace this part,
but I do have a couple of friends that are proficient enough to handle
the job.

I know that this is probably an elementary question/problem for some
of you guys, but, like I said, I am a novice.

I would really like to resurrect this set if it is not too costly.

So, any and all comments are welcome, and greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Marc
NSM

"Marc" wrote in message
om...
| Sorry guys,
|
| about ten minutes after I posted, (see below) I located a photo of a
| similar new flyback transformer, and it appears that the "L" shaped
| metal rod previously mentioned was originally a sort of "U" shaped
| rod, (top to bottom) and that it is burnt into two separate pieces.
|
| I did not know that, and the flyback transformer is still soldered to
| the board, so it is a bit difficult to see.
|
| Now, here is my question: Is this burnt flyback transformer possibly
| or probably symptomatic of a larger problem?

It's usually the reason for failure. Replacing it is the first (and maybe
last) step to repairing the set.

"NSM" wrote in message news:00E8d.13631$MV5.5594@clgrps13...
"Marc" wrote in message
om...
| Sorry guys,
|
| about ten minutes after I posted, (see below) I located a photo of a
| similar new flyback transformer, and it appears that the "L" shaped
| metal rod previously mentioned was originally a sort of "U" shaped
| rod, (top to bottom) and that it is burnt into two separate pieces.
|
| I did not know that, and the flyback transformer is still soldered to
| the board, so it is a bit difficult to see.
|
| Now, here is my question: Is this burnt flyback transformer possibly
| or probably symptomatic of a larger problem?

It's usually the reason for failure. Replacing it is the first (and maybe
last) step to repairing the set.

probably worth checkinbg the HOT and associated caps whilst you're in there
Marc

First, I want to thank all who answer my posts, both on-line and by
email for their suggestions, especially the safety issues.

In the interest of brevity, I will try to make this description short.

With a little help, and a lot of luck, I located and acquired a
working Sony television with an identical main board. (same Sony part
number, etc. ) (the case was trashed)

I powered it up, and with a bit of color adjustment, it operated
smoothly for several days.

I then sketched a diagram of all of the connectors checking, and
rechecked each and every connector on the working board for
differences, but did not find any differences.

(most of the connectors are "indexed" so that they will fit only one
way on the board)

I took the advice of several posters on this ng, and discharged the
CRT, and large main board caps.

(I had an old, worthless crt monitor to experiment with)

I then pulled the working board from the trashed tv, and cleaned the
wafer switches using deoxit and compressed air.

Then, I disconnected the bad board from the other TV, and slid the
working board into the other TV, and hooked up the connectors.

I double checked the connections, and powered it up using a variac,
and a light bulb method.

The set did not power up right away, because of an internal voltage
protective circuit.

I then disconnected the light bulb, and the set powered right up.

BINGO!

The set is working perfectly with the same vivid color and clarity
that it had prior to smoking.

It appears that it needs some minor color tweaking, but overall it is
doing just fine.

Overall, this project has been a vertical learning curve and
challenge.

I have never even had the back off of a television prior to this
project.

I would not have put this much effort into a set that was a piece of
junk.

Again, I would like to thank all who answered my post, and this has
been a very
rewarding project.

With a lot of help, patience, and suggestions, I was able to "mary"
these two sets, and the results are absolutely stunning.

I know that this is "child's play" for you veteran electronics guys,
but for me it was a bit intimidating.

Thanks again,

Marc

NOW, if anybody has any suggestions, tips, or possibly a url on color
adjustment/tweaking, that information would also be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

---------