Dave

Default Fun things to do with a 9,000 volt transformer

xray wrote:
Ignoramus27736 wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
Ignoramus27736 wrote:
I got a dozen of 9,000V franceformers. I wonder if I can make
some sort of a fun, safe thing with them, possibly halloween
related. Suggestions to make a corpse out of me for Halloween
decorations will not be seriously considered.

Rated how many VA ? What part of France? I can't think of anything.
Make a remote push-button perch for your horde of local English
Sparrows.

'makes a dandy rat/mouse trap with a simple aluminum foil tape
grid (to walk on) and a tilt-switch to apply power to the grid.
The critters won't go on it when it's energized... they can
smell the ozone or feel the corona discharge... whatever.... so
it needs to be hot only when they're standing on the grid.

Did you know a common grey mouse can jump almost three feet high
with 10KV under his toes?

You know, this does actually sound practically useful.

Seems like it might be a good idea to provide a way to have it turn
back off after a few seconds. I don't think I would enjoy the smell
of burning rat.

Maybe the primary should be in series with an appropriate light bulb.
Obviously a good mechanical design would be needed to keep the
electrodes clear.