pinpassion

Default Identify High Current Power Supply Transformer

Hi Gang,

I have a large and heavy power supply transformer
that is part of a high current power supply project
that was featured in 73 magazine back in 1973. It
was started by a ham radio operator and was never
finished. I am going to finish it, if I can. I am
trying to identify the transformer leads. This is
for a 12 volt, 40 to 60 amp output. Here are the markings:

This transformer was made by ADC and is marked 541-010 REV H.
There is a marking on it that says 3-19470 and what I think
is a date code of 7438. There are terminal connections on one
side that are numbered 1 - 6. On the other side the connections
are numbered 7 - 14. I need to know the connection scheme for
this transformer so I can put it to use. I contacted who I
thought was the manufacturer "ADC" for information, and that
did not help.

I don't have the issue of 73 magazine, and I don't even know
if this is the same transformer that may have been part of the
construction article. I can take pictures and post them if that
might help.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

Wild Bill

I can't identify your transformer. You will need to do some safe testing of
the xfmr to determine what all the terminals are to, and how they might be
interconnected internally.

Another way to research your part number is to see if other transformer
manufacturers have a replacement product, by way of a product cross
reference search.

It's anybody's guess what the intended purpose of your xfmr was. Back in the
70s, there were many universal-purpose xfmrs available. It was common to
encounter xfmrs that could have various input voltage capability, and
identical dual secondaries, so that the particulr xfmr could be 230, 208,
115 or 110VAC input terminals.

If you are familiar with ohm meter operation, you should be able to
determine the various input and output terminals, without applying power to
the xfmr. A pencil and paper should enable you to determine the terminal
interconnections.
It's possible that some of the 14 terminals might not be used.

Comparing your notes to similar xfmr diagrams will be helpful to identify
multi-tap and center-tapped windings.

I believe you can find xfmr testing info and safety precautions here
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/

Cheers
WB

"pinpassion" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

part II: pc power supply failure Al Electronics Repair 11 January 26th 05 06:02 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
testing ATX power supply tempus fugit Electronics Repair 12 January 13th 04 05:03 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
ATX power supply for use outside of computer case. Neil Jackson Electronics Repair 10 September 17th 03 02:49 AM