\PrecisionMachinisT\

Default History of Machine Tools

"jon banquer" wrote in message
You get that hook out of your mouth yet, "Steve" ?

Nope.

I still wanna know how this is "common"---- youve only given one (perhaps)
plausible instance.

--

SVL

jon banquer

More clues. Everywhere you look are clues.

You have worked for how many small machining job shops ???

Life is very different outside of Boeing.... both good and bad.

Want me to take the hook out ? I believe in catch and release. ;)

Better yet, I believe the games you so love to play are....

Stupid ! :)

Gotta go...

I'm bored and as I said before...tomorrow night
is the local union meeting:

http://www.cheaptrick.com/tour/

jon

""PrecisionMachinisT"" wrote in message

"jon banquer" wrote in message
For the life of me I cant figure out what also doing sheetmetal would

have
to do with this

One of the oldest aerospace job shops in Phoenix does a ton of work
like this.

So now "many aerospace shops that also do sheet metal fabrication" has
turned into a single shop in Phoenix ???

--

SVL

\PrecisionMachinisT\

"jon banquer" wrote in message
I still wanna know how this is "common"---- youve only given one

(perhaps)
plausible instance.

Clues, clues.

Everywhere you look there are clues.

That games not so fun when the game is played on "Steve" or Sam.

LOL

It's just a Cheap Trick !

www.cheaptrickcom

Okay jon........cheap trick......I called you on a claim, you havent given a
plausible answer, so you played a "cheap trick" on me........

Fair enough........shrug

--

SVL

"I want an 1/8 of whatever this bloke is smoking." (copy rite cigi)

jon banquer

Okay jon........cheap trick......I called you on a claim, you havent given
a plausible answer, so you played a "cheap trick" on me........

You mean you got played like a cheap trick. Payback is a bitch there,
"Stevie" / Sammy. ;)

Now:

Might as well play your own cheap trick. ;)

I highly recommend :

Gonna Raise Hell and Stiff Competition

http://www.trickworld.com/audio.htm

jon

""PrecisionMachinisT"" wrote in message

"jon banquer" wrote in message
I still wanna know how this is "common"---- youve only given one

(perhaps)
plausible instance.

Clues, clues.

Everywhere you look there are clues.

That games not so fun when the game is played on "Steve" or Sam.

LOL

It's just a Cheap Trick !

www.cheaptrickcom

Okay jon........cheap trick......I called you on a claim, you havent given

plausible answer, so you played a "cheap trick" on me........

Fair enough........shrug

--

SVL

"I want an 1/8 of whatever this bloke is smoking." (copy rite cigi)

jon banquer

"Sure, hit me with the example "

It's very common to do secondary operations like 5 axis
drilling, reaming and very limited milling on a manual knee
mill with a tilting rotary table because many shops either
don't have a 5 axis CNC or don't want to tie an extremely
expensive machine up.It especially common to see this in
many aerospace shops that also do sheet metal fabrication.

See this link. They are one of the oldest job shops in Phoenix.

http://dvelco.northstar-aerospace.com/

Check out the sheetmetal weldments. Lots of holes that are
are done on compound angles.

Also see the links page. Maybe Northstar Aerospace
has an division in your area ?

Weldments are very challenging to do.

jon

"jon banquer" wrote in message
"Well, my instructors were both machining for a living for a
long time before they started teaching this course, so they
have a pretty good idea of what's useful for us I guess."

I'll have more questions about your instructors after you
have more of your time invested in this machining
program. Also, after you have had awhile to get to know others
in this newsgroup and have kicked around some of their
ideas.

"Sure, hit me with the example "

It's very common to do secondary operations like 5 axis
drilling, reaming and very limited milling on a manual knee
mill with a tilting rotary table because many shops either
don't have a 5 axis CNC or don't want to tie an extremely
expensive machine up.It especially common to see this in
many aerospace shops that also do sheet metal fabrication.

Can you see where this would make sense ?

"I think the point of making ours was just to get a few of
our skills checked off, and to have a little tool we could
use if we want/need to."

Okay, but do you think that when you make a shop tool in
class that it should not only build your machining skills
but also be a shop tool that can be practical to use when
you go to work in a machine shop ? If the shop tool takes too
long to setup, in what I like to call the real world of the
small machining job shop, is this a good shop tool to make
if you have a choice in the matter ? :)

You didn't think I was going to let you off the hook that
easy did you ? LOL

:)

"I have enough to absorb right now, with working ahead in
math and reading about metallurgy. Soon I'll be starting
the lathe section in the textbook, and there's a lot of
questions to work on with that."

Yes, understood. I'm trying very hard to not overwhelm you.
Let me know if it's too much.

"Then I've got a couple more presentations coming up in
communications class. :P"

You certainly don't want my opinion on what I think of your
"communications class" and how I would approach it. :)

"I've met a couple of machinists that would take the time to
explain things to me about machining even when I was just
deburring. I hope I get to work with more like them."

A couple of machinists in this newsgroup (not including
myself, here) have already shown a willingness to spend time
pointing out things that they feel are very helpful. Some of
these posters are people I have a great deal of respect for
and who, because of experience, are much better machinists
than I am. I do, however, have other technical skills that I
use to, shall we say, even up the odds to keep their egos in
check. ;)

"I don't much enjoy having to ask someone else if I can use
their tools, and wasting time digging through the shop to
find something - argh."

Hmmm you and I might think alike here. Wait till you see
what it's like "wasting time digging through the shop to
find something" when the pressure is really on. Your "argh"
might very well become something else more along the
expletive lines and you might very well forget all about a
recent hangover. :)

"Cool, I'll look into making one of these. It would be
handy to have."

When your ready ask and I will give you more details... if you
haven't figured it out on your own by then / already. ;)

"When I get on the horizontal mill I'll worry about learning
more about it. I've got enough on my plate right now."

I hear ya ! See what I wrote above.

"Lol, just like real life, then. Not everyone gets along. I
guess it's just an unfortunate fact of life. You can learn
something from everyone if you keep your ears (err, eyes in
this case) open. You just have to learn to ignore the
crap."

IMO, the advice Bottlebob gave you is most excellent. Give some
thought to following it, if you have not already reached your own
conclusion.

jon

"chem" wrote in message
Industry determines what we're taught, because they know what skills
they want us to have when we're ready to join the workforce (or re-enter
the workforce). Well, my instructors were both machining for a living
for a long time before they started teaching this course, so they have a
pretty good idea of what's useful for us I guess.

jon banquer wrote:

IMO, also very important to be able to do quickly. If you
wish I can provide an aerospace example of why it is
important and why a manual knee mill is often used to do
this kind of work in many CNC machine shops.

Sure, hit me with the example

If you get a chance try and look at any commercial boring
head so you can see how it is designed so that it can move
short distances accurately. Does your school have something
like a Bridgeport or a Criterion boring head that you can
examine so that you can see how they have been designed to
accomplish this task ?

We have a few commercial boring heads around the shop, and I've seen how
they work. I think the point of making ours was just to get a few of
our skills checked off, and to have a little tool we could use if we
want/need to.

Perhaps before... depends on you and how much you can or
want to absorb. :)

I have enough to absorb right now, with working ahead in math and
reading about metallurgy. Soon I'll be starting the lathe section in
the textbook, and there's a lot of questions to work on with that. Then
I've got a couple more presentations coming up in communications class.

:P

IMO you will find others, like I have, that will give you
"the shirt off their back" when it comes to sharing their
knowledge. After you have found others like this you may
notice, like I have, that they all fit a pattern that others
don't.

I've met a couple of machinists that would take the time to explain
things to me about machining even when I was just deburring. I hope I
get to work with more like them.

If you don't you will either have to buy them or spend your
time hunting for the shop tools / asking to use someone
else's. I never felt I had the time to do this as I wanted
to use my time on other things. I also like knowing what my
tools can do rather than being surprised by a tool that I
don't know. All depends on what your comfortable with and
willing to accept or not accept.

I don't much enjoy having to ask someone else if I can use their tools,
and wasting time digging through the shop to find something - argh. But
I have absolutely no problem letting someone else use one of my tools
as long as it finds its way back to my tool box when they're done with
it.

Not very complicated. It's all in the design and most
designs suck because they don't have a precise enough
adjustment to *easily* allow you to move in tenths. The
concept of how to do this is similar to controlling movement
of a boring head. The most complex thing you would need is a
piece of spring steel. Yes, you use a dial indicator with
it.

Cool, I'll look into making one of these. It would be handy to have.

"Most of the stuff about the horizontal mill... Well, I
could understand most of the terminology, but I couldn't
catch it all."

Ask them directly in the newsgroup or find someone you can
e-mail that you suspect / knows what they are doing and is
good at explaining their thoughts.

When I get on the horizontal mill I'll worry about learning more about
it. I've got enough on my plate right now.

Just a few of my observations over I think 5 or 6 years of
posting he

You might want to make sure before you do that your prepared
to take the heat and / or watch the bad vibes go down as the
fighting starts. At times the bad vibes will carry from
thread to thread and the level of hate will know no limits.

Lol, just like real life, then. Not everyone gets along. I guess it's
just an unfortunate fact of life. You can learn something from everyone
if you keep your ears (err, eyes in this case) open. You just have to
learn to ignore the crap.

You doing what I would call indexing with a rotary table. I
have a lot of stuff I would like to convey to you about
rotary tables. As you start to use them, and if your still
interested, I will have more to say. :)

Well, I guess I'll be starting with that today. I'll let you know how
it goes, and when I get the bare basics down you can pass on some of
your stuff to me.

chem

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl

\PrecisionMachinisT\

"jon banquer" wrote in message

More clues. Everywhere you look are clues.

But still, YOU *ARE* clueless......

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ba...oe=UTF-8&hl=en

You have worked for how many small machining job shops ???

Actually quite a few, see I get contracts from them as well as give them
contracts.....

Life is very different outside of Boeing.... both good and bad.

No contest.......Im glad you've (apparently) finally come to realize large
shops have their merits also.

Someday, one might even risk hiring you......Nice, cushey union job.......

Want me to take the hook out ? I believe in catch and release. ;)

I aint quite hooked yet----I took but a nibble at a specific lil tidbit, and
I dont believe for a moment you put it out as bait.

Better yet, I believe the games you so love to play are....

Stupid ! :)

Then why do you insist on playing ???

Gotta go...

I'm bored and as I said before...tomorrow night

Me too, else admittedly, I wouldnt bothering with the likes of
you.........G

is the local union meeting:

http://www.seiu.org/building/janitors/

--

SVL

\PrecisionMachinisT\

"jon banquer" wrote in message
Okay jon........cheap trick......I called you on a claim, you havent

given
a plausible answer, so you played a "cheap trick" on me........

You mean you got played like a cheap trick. Payback is a bitch there,
"Stevie" / Sammy. ;)

Now:

Might as well play your own cheap trick. ;)

I highly recommend :

Gonna Raise Hell and Stiff Competition

http://www.trickworld.com/audio.htm

Thanks anyway.

Bought a record once.......never cared for it much.

Might still have it, probly still in pristine condition, lemme know if your
interested-- I might let it go real cheap.

--

SVL

jon banquer

"Someday, one might even risk hiring you...... Nice, cushey
union job......."

Clues, clues, clues....

I worked for one in Connecticut. Have said so many, many
times over the years in this newsgroup. No union needed.

"But still, YOU *ARE* clueless......"

I'm done playing your stupid games. It's
renegotiation time. I'm not willing to play these stupid
games anymore and if you are not willing to agree to end
them with me then I'm ready to start ignoring all your
posts. That give you an idea how serious I am about ending
this crap you love to indulge in between you and I ? Is it now
clear enough to you how much I detest your bull**** fishing
games ?

"No contest.......Im glad you've (apparently) finally come
to realize large shops have their merits also."

Always did. See above.

"I aint quite hooked yet----I took but a nibble at a
specific lil tidbit, and I dont believe for a moment you put
it out as bait."

I don't care what you believe. The games you like to try and
play with me are over. Your going to have a much tougher time
playing them with me if I ignore your posts.

BTW, is it "steve" or Sam I'm now talking to ??? What a
joke.

[...]

\PrecisionMachinisT\

"jon banquer" wrote in message
"Sure, hit me with the example "

It's very common to do secondary operations like 5 axis
drilling, reaming and very limited milling on a manual knee
mill with a tilting rotary table because many shops either
don't have a 5 axis CNC or don't want to tie an extremely
expensive machine up.It especially common to see this in
many aerospace shops that also do sheet metal fabrication.

See this link. They are one of the oldest job shops in Phoenix.

http://dvelco.northstar-aerospace.com/

Still, that is just one shop, or perhaps a conglomerate of shops owned by
the same company. It might be one of the oldest shops in Phoenix, but I
havent seen the need to research that aspect as it wasnt a part of your
original claim.

And you have expanded the discussion to now include formed and welded sheet
metal assemblies, hardly your garden variety "sheet metal fabrication"
shop-- rather specialized as a matter of fact.

I will grant you there might be "many" shops doing this.

Check out the sheetmetal weldments. Lots of holes that are
are done on compound angles.

Likely most are welded and then finish milled and drilled on multi axis cnc
tools.

I would speculate however, often the tapping ops might be done as second op,
though on a tapping center rather than knee mills. Looks like some of the
parts might be automotive, but hard to tell as the pic is kinda small.

Also see the links page. Maybe Northstar Aerospace
has an division in your area ?

The links bar dissapeared on me......the webmaster apparently needs to do
some html coding as the bar loads only partly visible.

If you move the separator the wrong way with the mouse and then let go of
the mouse button, it dissapears altogether.

Then again, maybe there is something wrong with my monitor settings.......

Weldments are very challenging to do.

Yeah, we built quite a few cnc welders at Certified....ran on thompson ways
and has 9 axis controls. We could (and did for the military mobile launch
vehicles) weld truck trailers with them. 12 ft cnc rotary tables...not bad
for a jobshop in the early eighties. Tera cnc controls, an allen bradley
knock off IIRC.......

Then we put air powered drilling heads on the cnc and drilled fastener holes
ect.

--

SVL

jon banquer

"Still, that is just one shop, or perhaps a conglomerate of
shops owned by the same company. It might be one of the
oldest shops in Phoenix, but I havent seen the need to
research that aspect as it wasnt a part of your original
claim."

Instead of playing your games all you had to do was come out
and say it. Or... tell her you don't agree with me because
you don't think this type of work is important to know how
to do. I obviously think it is.

Disagree with me.... no big deal. Play your games.... sorry
I have had enough. You have got plenty of others in this
newsgroup that enjoy fishing expeditions. I don't and
I fail to see why I have waste my time with it if it repulses
me.

"And you have expanded the discussion to now include formed
and welded sheet metal assemblies, hardly your garden
variety "sheet metal fabrication" shop-- rather specialized
as a matter of fact."

**** you. I came back and made a sincere attempt to be
clearer on the sheet metal issue by adding weldments. That
shop happens to call it sheet metal. There is no standard.
I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country and
other shops as well. You could have politely asked for
specific clarification. You were not specific in your
request and even so I did my best to make it clearer.

"Likely most are welded and then finish milled and drilled
on multi axis cnc tools."

Not from what I have seen. Use Google to see what Michael
Gailey's has had to say on 5 axis machines and how common
they are in his area. Boeing can afford lots to stuff that
small machining job shops can't.

"The links bar dissapeared on me......the webmaster
apparently needs to do some html coding as the bar loads
only partly visible."

I had no problem.

[...]

\PrecisionMachinisT\

[...]

Gee wiz jon, settle down.......Im just pullin yer chain a bit....

You done pulled many peoples chains in the past, including mine....

What is wrong with me yanking your crank every once inna while ???

Dont it feel so good???

--

SVL

\PrecisionMachinisT\

[...]

Good to see you havent lost your touch, jon.

Cheers,

--

SVL

jon banquer

"Gee wiz jon, settle down.......Im just pullin yer chain a
bit...."

I didn't say you could not call me broom boy or clueless or
buzzword king or any of the other moronic names. At least
Bruce Closs got it right when he labeled me jadded jon. He
was right and it fit. Whatever. What I have had enough of is
the fishing expedition approach. If you disagree with me
just say it ... the fishing expedition **** wastes too much
of my time. I'm not retired. I work for someone else and I
don't make my own schedule. You have plenty of others in
this newsgroup that you can engage with this type of behavior.

Why is it asking so much of you to modify your approach with
me and to end the trolling crap ?

I have had to modify my presentation for others who have
requested it of me. Well.... surprise, I'm requesting it of
you. Even without threatening to ignore your posts, which
should be obvious to you that I really don't want to do, I
think I have the right to request this and get it.

"Dont it feel so good???"

It has proven to be a major time waster for me. Why would it
be so difficult to agree, disagree or ask for *specific clarification* ???

[...]

\PrecisionMachinisT\

"jon banquer" wrote in message
"Gee wiz jon, settle down.......Im just pullin yer chain a
bit...."

It has proven to be a major time waster for me. Why would it
be so difficult to agree, disagree or ask for *specific clarification* ???

I placed a "flashing neon exit sign" in the very first post.

That was the first clue...How difficult would it have been to retract the
claim or even allow it was copy / pasted in error.???

You made the decision to check out whats behind door # 2 entirely on your
own......

--

SVL

chem

jon banquer wrote:
I'll have more questions about your instructors after you
have more of your time invested in this machining
program. Also, after you have had awhile to get to know others
in this newsgroup and have kicked around some of their
ideas.

I'm not sure how many questions I could/should answer about my
instructors. I try not to say too much about people on the internet
without their knowledge. Things like that tend to come back and bite me
in the ass.

It's very common to do secondary operations like 5 axis
drilling, reaming and very limited milling on a manual knee
mill with a tilting rotary table because many shops either
don't have a 5 axis CNC or don't want to tie an extremely
expensive machine up.It especially common to see this in
many aerospace shops that also do sheet metal fabrication.

Can you see where this would make sense ?

Makes sense.

Okay, but do you think that when you make a shop tool in
class that it should not only build your machining skills
but also be a shop tool that can be practical to use when
you go to work in a machine shop ? If the shop tool takes too
long to setup, in what I like to call the real world of the
small machining job shop, is this a good shop tool to make
if you have a choice in the matter ? :)

You didn't think I was going to let you off the hook that
easy did you ? LOL

For the following - bear in mind here that I'm talking from the very
limited knowledge I've picked up so far. I'm in no way trying to look
like a know-it-all, and I don't know exactly why that boring head was
chosen as one of our projects. While I understand where you're coming
from, the skills we got for that project we using dovetail cutters,
milling a through slot, drilling and reaming on the mill, tapping holes,
making a gib to fit. That we got a tool to use out of it was a fringe
benefit, but not the main purpose. I don't believe our skill level is
up to making something of the same quality and design as the commercial
boring heads. And in the "real world", hopefully we wouldn't be
expected to have a commercial-quality boring head in our tool box. Now,
having said that, is there a type of boring head somewhere in between
the commercial type ones I've seen around the shop and the ones that we
made? If there is one that would be within our skill levels, but with a
quicker setup time, maybe it would have been more practical to use that
design instead of the one that we did use, and I could bring it up with
the instructors.

Yes, understood. I'm trying very hard to not overwhelm you.
Let me know if it's too much.

Nope, not too much yet.

You certainly don't want my opinion on what I think of your
"communications class" and how I would approach it. :)

I don't think many of the people in our course see the value of our
communications course. But like I mentioned, our curriculum isn't
developed randomly. The college meets with representatives from
industry and finds out what skills they would like potential employees
to possess. Our curriculum is developed based on that.

When your ready ask and I will give you more details... if you
haven't figured it out on your own by then / already. ;)

Pass the details along anytime. I can put them in the binder with my
other projects, even if I'm not ready to make it right away.

chem

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl

chem

Cool, hadn't thought of adding clearance like that, for holes.

While we're on the subject of parallels - why are there holes through
the middle of them like the ones below? (Not sure if all parallels have
them, so I'm including this so you know what I'm talking about)
Normally the holes would be bigger, but I can't make a circle bigger
than that.

_______________________
| |
| O O O O O |
|_______________________|

chem

michael wrote:

Depending on thickness of parallel, whatever suits your fancy. Keep in mind that you will need
to drill/bore holes very near part edge and may wish to turn them around so relief is away from
the jaw, leaving clearance for your cutting tool to go through unmolested. I have not done this
with my hardened parallels other than a couple pairs, wish I had. Do it with aluminum ones
usually. Most of the time I stick a shorter parallel next to the jaws, same effect.

enjoy

michael

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl

Bing

"chem" wrote in message
Cool, hadn't thought of adding clearance like that, for holes.

While we're on the subject of parallels - why are there holes through
the middle of them like the ones below? (Not sure if all parallels have
them, so I'm including this so you know what I'm talking about)
Normally the holes would be bigger, but I can't make a circle bigger
than that.

_______________________
| |
| O O O O O |
|_______________________|

chem

Different reasons. When I did die work we put bolts or pins thru the holes
to keep the parallels standing upright so we could lay a die on them. You
can also bolt them down to an angle plate to machine things on angles.
I've also used them as steady rests for grinding or milling something long.
Mount them with a shoulder bolt and a lock washer, adjust to maintain height
to the end of the workpiece. You can also use them on the side of the mill
vise for a stop. The list goes on..... g

Bing

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 00:09:34 -0800, "\"PrecisionMachinisT\""
wrote:

"jon banquer" wrote in message

How bout you two turkeys take this crap and go far away, please.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
jon banquer

I no longer see it as productive to answer any questions
that you may have in this newsgroup. If others can't be of
help and / or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e-
mail me. If this is not a viable alternative to you than
I hope I have been helpful to you in someway.

jon

"chem" wrote in message

jon banquer wrote:
[...]

jon banquer

"Well, thanks for the help. I guess I said something to
offend you or something, but for the life of me I can't
figure out what it was."

Sorry I missed this.

You did nothing to offend me and I would have hoped I made
this clear when I said in my previous post to you :

"or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e-mail me."

I don't see it as productive to put the time into answering and
really thinking about what I believe needs to be said to you,
based on the current environment (which you have correctly
noted exists) in this newsgroup.

jon

jon banquer wrote:

I no longer see it as productive to answer any questions
that you may have in this newsgroup. If others can't be of
help and / or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e-
mail me. If this is not a viable alternative to you than
I hope I have been helpful to you in someway.

jon

--

www.xanga.com/chemgurl

Bing

"jon banquer" wrote in message
"Well, thanks for the help. I guess I said something to
offend you or something, but for the life of me I can't
figure out what it was."

Sorry I missed this.

You did nothing to offend me and I would have hoped I made
this clear when I said in my previous post to you :

"or you wish my opinion you may feel free to e-mail me."

I don't see it as productive to put the time into answering and
really thinking about what I believe needs to be said to you,
based on the current environment (which you have correctly
noted exists) in this newsgroup.

Oh, find a moderated group then for Keyrists sake.

BTW, machines.homeip.net on iRC is moderated. Muwahahaha.

How did you like it when you logged in the other day? You didnt stay long.

Bing