cilorentson

Default offsubject,,2printers,1cpu??

I would like to be able to do this. Run two printers on one computer,
in reality one would be a backup. I have a printer that prints very
well, and then a printer that is a 'copier,scanner,printer', and I
would just like to be able to use one or the other as need arises.
I just plug in the older printer, and then did the 'default' thing,
but the printer is not printing. ?? When I try to delete/cancel the
job, it will not. ?? The computer went into it's "network mode", I
don't need to set up a network configuration. There should be some
simple way to 'do this'.
???? thanks in advance. cl.
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:26:06 GMT, cilorentson wrote:
I would like to be able to do this. Run two printers on one computer,
in reality one would be a backup.

No problem. Just turn on printer sharing on the Mac with the printer,
and have Rendevous on the other Mac detect it. You're done.

I have a printer that prints very
well, and then a printer that is a 'copier,scanner,printer', and I
would just like to be able to use one or the other as need arises.

Yup, I have a network between my house and my parents' house, wireless,
..6 miles away. My dad's photo quality printer (he's retired and enjoys
a new way of working on his lifelong hobby) is available in this manner.

I just plug in the older printer, and then did the 'default' thing,
but the printer is not printing. ?? When I try to delete/cancel the
job, it will not. ?? The computer went into it's "network mode", I
don't need to set up a network configuration. There should be some
simple way to 'do this'.

Argh. I was just in the mac group, thought I was still there. OK,
windows then? First get the printer set up on the computer it needs to
stay physically hooked up to. What you do next depends. What kind of
network do you have between the two? Is the printer on the network, or
on a serial cable from the PC?

cilorentson

What you do next depends. What kind of
network do you have between the two? Is the printer on the network, or
on a serial cable from the PC?

I have printer (H/P printer/scanner/copier)that is connected(usb) to a
'homebuilt' cpu, and was working fine. I took an older printer ,,H/P
694,,,, that has the older printer cable,,,,, and since there was an
open connection on the back of the cpu, just connected. I did not
want to set up a ""network"", I thought I could just hook them
both up and ''swap'' the default title from one to the other???? cl.

Gary Brady

cilorentson wrote:
I would like to be able to do this. Run two printers on one computer,
in reality one would be a backup. I have a printer that prints very
well, and then a printer that is a 'copier,scanner,printer', and I
would just like to be able to use one or the other as need arises.
I just plug in the older printer, and then did the 'default' thing,
but the printer is not printing. ?? When I try to delete/cancel the
job, it will not. ?? The computer went into it's "network mode", I
don't need to set up a network configuration. There should be some
simple way to 'do this'.
???? thanks in advance. cl.

Just get a printer switch box. I have one that hooks one printer to two
computers, has a knob on the front with "A" and "B". You would just
hook the computer into the output and printers into the input.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Nick Müller

cilorentson wrote:

Run two printers on one computer,

Use carbon copies instead!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Ian Malcolm

cilorentson wrote:
What you do next depends. What kind of

network do you have between the two? Is the printer on the network, or
on a serial cable from the PC?

I have printer (H/P printer/scanner/copier)that is connected(usb) to a
'homebuilt' cpu, and was working fine. I took an older printer ,,H/P
694,,,, that has the older printer cable,,,,, and since there was an
open connection on the back of the cpu, just connected. I did not
want to set up a ""network"", I thought I could just hook them
both up and ''swap'' the default title from one to the other???? cl.

DONT expect two installs of HP's own driver software to 'play nice' If
your older printer is supported by a Microsoft driver supplied with
windows, uninstall the old HP software and use the MS HP driver for that
printer. DONT try to use a switchbox with newer HP printers. You are
on the right track with seperate ports (Parallel and USB, two USBs or
put in an extra parallel card). One of my clients has 3 printers off
the same PC with no trouble (no two the same make though). You dont
need to switch the default printer unless your application doesnt let
you choose a printer either at print timew or in the application's
printer setup. N.B. a corrupted HP driver for the default printer used
to crash MW Office apps when you start them. I dont know if thats been
fixed under XP and for Office 97.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
carl mciver

"cilorentson" wrote in message
| I would like to be able to do this. Run two printers on one computer,
| in reality one would be a backup. I have a printer that prints very
| well, and then a printer that is a 'copier,scanner,printer', and I
| would just like to be able to use one or the other as need arises.
| I just plug in the older printer, and then did the 'default' thing,
| but the printer is not printing. ?? When I try to delete/cancel the
| job, it will not. ?? The computer went into it's "network mode", I
| don't need to set up a network configuration. There should be some
| simple way to 'do this'.
| ???? thanks in advance. cl.

Hmmmm.... Are both parallel printers or USB? Or one of each? I have
one of each, and each is installed normally to my Dell. I can change my
default printer if I want, which is the one I get if I hit the print button.
If I go through the File-Print option I get the box that lets me choose.
For two parallel printers, you can use either a manual or an automatic
switch box. Both printers still have to be installed onto your software.
I used to have my older PC networked to another one and each had a
printer out of the parallel port, and since each printer was shared and
installed on both machines, I could pick between one or the other.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:12:01 GMT, cilorentson wrote:
What you do next depends. What kind of
network do you have between the two? Is the printer on the network, or
on a serial cable from the PC?

I have printer (H/P printer/scanner/copier)that is connected(usb) to a
'homebuilt' cpu, and was working fine. I took an older printer ,,H/P
694,,,, that has the older printer cable,,,,, and since there was an
open connection on the back of the cpu, just connected. I did not
want to set up a ""network"", I thought I could just hook them
both up and ''swap'' the default title from one to the other???? cl.

You know, a simple "a/b" switch might be what you need. DB25
connectors, 3 of 'em. One from each computer, output to the printer,
and a manual switch between. I probably have a couple, far as that
goes. If you want one, cover shipping and it's yours. Shouldn't be
more than 5 or 6 bucks to ship...let me know if you want to try it.

Dave

Ian Malcolm

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

HOW did this threads get onto 2 PCs - 1 Printer? The OP wants 1 PC - 2
printers!

Personally, if I wanted multiple PCs to one printer I'd either get a
networked printer, a print server or share the printer off a PC I was
running as a server anyway. Many modern printers and drivers get *very*
confused if you connect or disconnect the printer without a reboot. You
can work around it pausing the printer driver before you switch, but its
not exactly simple or foolproof. I'd save the switch box for those
occasions when you *NEED* to keep the PCs totally seperate.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
Bob May

The driver for the copier/scanner/printer is going to be the problem. I've
been there and failed because the driver for that C/S/P just took over
whatever resources that were available and kept them for itself. I didn't
try using a serial port for the second printer but that may work as will a
secod printer on the USB bus.
This is one serious failing of HP printers as they don't like to work with
each other.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Martin H. Eastburn

I have the same issue on sending something to a queue and not being able to kill it.
This is an XP issue from what I understand - I have to delete the file in the queue then
turn on that printer - it connects and then deletes the file. Poor file processing in XP.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

carl mciver wrote:
"cilorentson" wrote in message
| I would like to be able to do this. Run two printers on one computer,
| in reality one would be a backup. I have a printer that prints very
| well, and then a printer that is a 'copier,scanner,printer', and I
| would just like to be able to use one or the other as need arises.
| I just plug in the older printer, and then did the 'default' thing,
| but the printer is not printing. ?? When I try to delete/cancel the
| job, it will not. ?? The computer went into it's "network mode", I
| don't need to set up a network configuration. There should be some
| simple way to 'do this'.
| ???? thanks in advance. cl.

Hmmmm.... Are both parallel printers or USB? Or one of each? I have
one of each, and each is installed normally to my Dell. I can change my
default printer if I want, which is the one I get if I hit the print button.
If I go through the File-Print option I get the box that lets me choose.
For two parallel printers, you can use either a manual or an automatic
switch box. Both printers still have to be installed onto your software.
I used to have my older PC networked to another one and each had a
printer out of the parallel port, and since each printer was shared and
installed on both machines, I could pick between one or the other.

Martin H. Eastburn

One computer - Rover has two usb printers.
This one uses a Cisco Print server(USB type) that the RF server drives Parallel and USB printers.
One in the shop - have two RF severs types - both parallel. System also has USB print/scan...

I don't seem to have problems with any - All of HP printers. From a 4MV MX to 5Si MX to my E-size plotter
to a 1200 and a doall machine and my 990cxi.

I know that if you delete by hand a print queue - XP will re-install it for you. Even if you did it
on purpose!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life