Ian Malcolm

cilorentson wrote:
What you do next depends. What kind of

network do you have between the two? Is the printer on the network, or
on a serial cable from the PC?

I have printer (H/P printer/scanner/copier)that is connected(usb) to a
'homebuilt' cpu, and was working fine. I took an older printer ,,H/P
694,,,, that has the older printer cable,,,,, and since there was an
open connection on the back of the cpu, just connected. I did not
want to set up a ""network"", I thought I could just hook them
both up and ''swap'' the default title from one to the other???? cl.

DONT expect two installs of HP's own driver software to 'play nice' If
your older printer is supported by a Microsoft driver supplied with
windows, uninstall the old HP software and use the MS HP driver for that
printer. DONT try to use a switchbox with newer HP printers. You are
on the right track with seperate ports (Parallel and USB, two USBs or
put in an extra parallel card). One of my clients has 3 printers off
the same PC with no trouble (no two the same make though). You dont
need to switch the default printer unless your application doesnt let
you choose a printer either at print timew or in the application's
printer setup. N.B. a corrupted HP driver for the default printer used
to crash MW Office apps when you start them. I dont know if thats been
fixed under XP and for Office 97.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.