Ian Malcolm

Default offsubject,,2printers,1cpu??

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:12:01 GMT, cilorentson wrote:

What you do next depends. What kind of

network do you have between the two? Is the printer on the network, or
on a serial cable from the PC?

I have printer (H/P printer/scanner/copier)that is connected(usb) to a
'homebuilt' cpu, and was working fine. I took an older printer ,,H/P
694,,,, that has the older printer cable,,,,, and since there was an
open connection on the back of the cpu, just connected. I did not
want to set up a ""network"", I thought I could just hook them
both up and ''swap'' the default title from one to the other???? cl.

You know, a simple "a/b" switch might be what you need. DB25
connectors, 3 of 'em. One from each computer, output to the printer,
and a manual switch between. I probably have a couple, far as that
goes. If you want one, cover shipping and it's yours. Shouldn't be
more than 5 or 6 bucks to ship...let me know if you want to try it.

HOW did this threads get onto 2 PCs - 1 Printer? The OP wants 1 PC - 2
printers!

Personally, if I wanted multiple PCs to one printer I'd either get a
networked printer, a print server or share the printer off a PC I was
running as a server anyway. Many modern printers and drivers get *very*
confused if you connect or disconnect the printer without a reboot. You
can work around it pausing the printer driver before you switch, but its
not exactly simple or foolproof. I'd save the switch box for those
occasions when you *NEED* to keep the PCs totally seperate.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.