Bruce Simpson

Default British Cars !!! Crank handle for MG Y

Folks,

I have offered to make a crank handle for my friend's MG Y.

It would be appreciated if someone could advise me of the details of what is
needed:
(a) at the end of the crank handle which engages the nut on the fan belt
pulley.
(b) how long the shaft of the crank handle needs to be to clear the
front bumper bar.

(I don't have access to the MG Y as my friend lives in a distant city.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bruce Simpson
Perth, Australia

R. Zimmerman

You will need some dimensions from your friend. Usually the material is
5/8th or 3/4 inch diameter bar. You want the crank bend not to overhang
too far past the hole in the bumper. I would say two inches maximum. The
end that fits the crank snout usually only needs a cross hole with a 5/16 or
3/8 inch pin driven in. You will need the diameter of the crank snout hole,
the cross pin diameter and the length from snout to bumper. The hole shape
in the bumper also gives you some ideas on the cross pin size.
I used to make these up in high school for Austins and of course my Land
Rover.
Of course you and your friend know not to wrap your thumb around the crank
handle?? Lifting the handle up is also safer than pushing down.
Randy

"Bruce Simpson" wrote in message
Folks,

I have offered to make a crank handle for my friend's MG Y.

It would be appreciated if someone could advise me of the details of what is
needed:
(a) at the end of the crank handle which engages the nut on the fan belt
pulley.
(b) how long the shaft of the crank handle needs to be to clear the
front bumper bar.

(I don't have access to the MG Y as my friend lives in a distant city.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bruce Simpson
Perth, Australia

Lew Hartswick

Bruce Simpson wrote:

Folks,

I have offered to make a crank handle for my friend's MG Y.

It would be appreciated if someone could advise me of the details of what is
needed:
(a) at the end of the crank handle which engages the nut on the fan belt
pulley.
(b) how long the shaft of the crank handle needs to be to clear the
front bumper bar.

(I don't have access to the MG Y as my friend lives in a distant city.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bruce Simpson
Perth, Australia

Please tell me about the " Y " . Ihave been a sports car "nut" for
about 50 yrs and never heard of that model. As I remember it they
started with TA TC (don't think the TB ever went ino prod.) TD
TF then the A and last I knew the B .
Thanks.
...lew...
Jeff R

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bruce Simpson wrote:

[...]

http://www.mgytypes.org/

Morris Garages did not limit themselves to "sports" cars.

--
Jeff R.

Joe AutoDrill

Would it be possible to build in a one-way rachet system? I'm not
understanding 100% how the crank handle works, but what keeps it from
spinning wildly?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Jeff R

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
newsYEQe.2171$wE1.1629@trndny01...
Would it be possible to build in a one-way rachet system? I'm not
understanding 100% how the crank handle works, but what keeps it from
spinning wildly?

The pin on the end of the crank handle engages a half-circular "groove" with
a tapered approach. (Hard to explain) When the engine fires, the pin (and
thus, the handle) is thrust out of the hole, and disengages.

Only danger is a "backfire" and a brief backwards turn, which grasps and
spins the handle.

At least, that's how my '49 Ford Anglia did it.

--
Jeff R.

Leo Lichtman

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote: Would it be possible to build in a one-way rachet
system? I'm not understanding 100% how the crank handle works, but what
keeps it from spinning wildly?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Picture the screw heads in a public rest room. The "slot" has a vertical
side in the *drive* direction, and a ramp in the *slip* direction.

Tim Shoppa

Would it be possible to build in a one-way rachet system?
I'm not understanding 100% how the crank handle works,
but what keeps it from spinning wildly?

From my understanding of old cars, it is basically cammed out when the

engine starts pushing the crank rather than the other way around. Look
at those one-way anti-vandalism screws used on public bathroom fixtures
for the principle (if not the actual scale)!

I think the rotary lawnmower starter cord is a good example of how to
do this perfectly right even in the presence of backfires, but the
crank isn't so bad.

Tim.