Tfmccarley

Default The British and shopping cart technology

cart technology

Just think what it would have been if it had been made in France.
Ron Thompson

All 4 wheels fixed to go straight? 2 straight forward and 2 straight
sideways?

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

http://www.plansandprojects.com

Where did everyone go? Oh, yeah.
Y'all come, ya hear?
*******
"Tfmccarley" wrote in message
cart technology

Just think what it would have been if it had been made in France.

Ian Sutherland

"Peter Reilley" wrote in message ...
I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels. This makes it impossible
to steer the cart. As you push it along it will move in any
direction. You choose the direction of movement by
muscling it in that direction.

This is not too bad when the floors are flat but on sloping
floors it is a real struggle. Many British markets are in
old buildings and they often have sloping sections from
one level to another. At Heathrow Airport there are ramps
between floors. If you have a heavy load and are pushing
it up a ramp, it can get away from you quite easily.

Perhaps someone could introduce American cart design,
where the rear wheels are fixed, to the British and make
a lot of money. ;-)

Sounds like a great Idea in Oz, Didn't realize that there are
trolley's that don't go all over the place. They are a real PITA over
here. Thanks for the info. I'm sure that there is a large Aust.
trolley manufacturer on the net, will post your message to them.
Cheer's Ian Sutherland. (Oz)

Dean

As much as I admire a lot of things the Brits have done, engineering common
sense in their products isn't one of them. Anyone who has worked on a car
made in the UK ( not a re-badged Asian vehical ) will have favourite stories
of having to take the rear bumper off before you can get the battery out
etc. Using 4 legged tables on uneven surfaces so that they rock and spill
your coffee is typical. The Harrier VTOL jet was good though ! ( and that
landed on 3 wheels as I recall )

Dean.

"Peter Reilley"
I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels. This makes it impossible
to steer the cart. As you push it along it will move in any
direction. You choose the direction of movement by
muscling it in that direction.

dann mann

All 4 casters swivel here in California. Been that way since I moved her
in 82 from Michgan where only the fronts swivel

Glenn Ashmore

Did they say "Made by Lucas" on them any where?

Peter Reilley wrote:
I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels. This makes it impossible
to steer the cart. As you push it along it will move in any
direction. You choose the direction of movement by
muscling it in that direction.

This is not too bad when the floors are flat but on sloping
floors it is a real struggle. Many British markets are in
old buildings and they often have sloping sections from
one level to another. At Heathrow Airport there are ramps
between floors. If you have a heavy load and are pushing
it up a ramp, it can get away from you quite easily.

Perhaps someone could introduce American cart design,
where the rear wheels are fixed, to the British and make
a lot of money. ;-)

Pete.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ron Thompson

Well. yeah. California.
We were talking about the real United States of America. Places that can
afford water and electricity. Where a million dollar house is a mansion, not
a hovel. Places where cops will actually chase a bad guy, even if he drives
too fast. Places where, at 3 in the morning, you don't expect to drive
bumper to bumper at 3 MPH on a freeway.

You know, places where shopping carts have normal wheels.

--

"dann mann" wrote in message
All 4 casters swivel here in California. Been that way since I moved her
in 82 from Michgan where only the fronts swivel

SMuel10363

Just think what it would have been if it had been made in France.

hOW COULD THE fRENCH USE THEM? THEY USUALLY HAVE BOTH HANDS RASED THAT IS
UNLESS THEY HAVE THEIR FLAG(THE WHITE ONE) IN ONE HAND RAY MUELLERcart
technology

Leo Lichtman

dann mann wrote: All 4 casters swivel here in California. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What part of California, Dann? I rarely see a 4-wheel swivelling cart in
the SF Bay Area, where I live, and when I do, it is usually in a small
neighborhood store with generally dingy decor.

The ultimate solution to this BIG PROBLEM would be to make all four casters
swivel, and permit the customer to selectively lock out the front pair or
the back pair or no pair.

Has anyone noticed that if the wheels at the back of the cart do not swivel,
and the cart is heavily loaded, it is easier to steer if you push it
backward? It has to do with the inertia of the load, and the leverage.

LBailey

Ah, the Prince of Darkness!

--
Larry Bailey
Illegitimi non carborundum

Peter Reilley wrote:
[...]

clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:09:03 -0400, "Peter Reilley"
wrote:

I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels. This makes it impossible
to steer the cart. As you push it along it will move in any
direction. You choose the direction of movement by
muscling it in that direction.

This is not too bad when the floors are flat but on sloping
floors it is a real struggle. Many British markets are in
old buildings and they often have sloping sections from
one level to another. At Heathrow Airport there are ramps
between floors. If you have a heavy load and are pushing
it up a ramp, it can get away from you quite easily.

Perhaps someone could introduce American cart design,
where the rear wheels are fixed, to the British and make
a lot of money. ;-)

Pete.

Never heard of NIH Syndrome?? It is epidemic in England and some other
areas of Europe. Full name? Not Invented Here. Have a duece of a time
getting a Limey manufacturer to adopt an American design. Have to have
the company bought by the Germans, Americans or Japs before it would
be possible. (Like Rolls, Rover, Bentley, Jag, Aston Martin, et al)
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 02:19:55 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

dann mann wrote: All 4 casters swivel here in California. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What part of California, Dann? I rarely see a 4-wheel swivelling cart in
the SF Bay Area, where I live, and when I do, it is usually in a small
neighborhood store with generally dingy decor.

Small neighbourhood stores are crowded enough that steering at both
ends is required.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Roger Martin

The Harrier VTOL jet was good though ! ( and that
landed on 3 wheels as I recall )

I lived nearby to Dunsfold (about 1975) in the UK where the Harriers got
their final flight testing and they were a common sight hovering, going up
and down, flying backwards and sideways and once in awhile flying the way
they were supposed to. Was amazing to watch them "viffing" - flying straight
and level at high speed and then changing altitude without changing
attitude. The Argentinian Mirages and Skyhawks were caught continually with
that manoeuvrer.

I had a USAAF officer staying with me and he comes running in shouting that
theres a plane flying backwards. It was such a common sight that we all just
said "yep, happens all the time". He literally dragged us out to watch this
plane that he knew nothing about and could not believe that they were flying
in the UK. He wanted to know if Boeing or MacDouglas made the things -
cheeky *******.

BTW they had four landing/take off wheels, two that came out of the
fuselage, and two that rotated from the wing tips.

Its amazing that the technology comes from the 1960s and that people can now
make model versions on the Harriers with micro computer controlled jet
swivels, etc.

Doug Goncz

If the FDA regulated shopping carts:

They'd have to be gamma irradiated before being returned to the line for the
next user.

If the DOT regulated shopping carts:

They'd be equipped with backup beepers and turn signals.

If the DOD contracted a shopping cart:

It would weigh 195 pounds, be rated to carry TWO toddlers (with full field
diaper pack), and have GPS callback to your cell phone if you lost it.

If GMC made a shopping cart:

It would have multi-surface capability (linoleum, wood, carpet) and be
convertible to a bicycle.

If I made shopping carts:

They'd each be individually bar coded, and when you went through the register,
you could check out the cart along with the food, roll it into your mini van,
unload it in the kitchen, and return it to the store empty and undamaged, along
with your recyclables, for full credit within the first two hours, and a 15
cent deposit on each clean, uncrushed, aluminum beverage can.

Yours,

Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
Unpublished work Copyright 2003 Doug Goncz
Fair use and Usenet distribution without restriction or fee
Civil and criminal penalties for circumvention of any embedded encryption
spitfire2

Ron Thompson wrote:

All 4 wheels fixed to go straight? 2 straight forward and 2 straight
sideways?

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com

Where did everyone go? Oh, yeah.
Y'all come, ya hear?
*******
"Tfmccarley" wrote in message

cart technology

Just think what it would have been if it had been made in France.

Daft Yanks, tThe French ones are the same as the English ones. They are
just as sensible as us

Dave.

spitfire2

dann mann wrote:

All 4 casters swivel here in California. Been that way since I moved her
in 82 from Michgan where only the fronts swivel

Would have been more sense if it had been the back ones that caster -
thats where you are getting the most control from your pushing!

Dave.

Ed Huntress

"spitfire2" wrote in message
dann mann wrote:

All 4 casters swivel here in California. Been that way since I moved her
in 82 from Michgan where only the fronts swivel

Would have been more sense if it had been the back ones that caster -
thats where you are getting the most control from your pushing!

Dave.

You miss the underlying principle in California. They're not allowed to show
bias regarding steering intercourse with either end.

Ed Huntress

spitfire2

SMuel10363 wrote:

Just think what it would have been if it had been made in France.

hOW COULD THE fRENCH USE THEM? THEY USUALLY HAVE BOTH HANDS RASED THAT IS
UNLESS THEY HAVE THEIR FLAG(THE WHITE ONE) IN ONE HAND RAY MUELLERcart
technology

Don't you Yanks ever look at yourselves, instead of sneering at other
countries? For such insular creatures, you don't have much to be proud of.

"Mueller - isn't that a European (German) name? With the Germans as
"neighbours" ready to invade, its no wonder the French gave in. So
would most other sensible folk! The Nazis didn't have a very good name
for friendliness towards others, especially ones who opposed them.

This supposed to be a group for metalworking, but it seems to be just a
ranting ground for isolationist Americans with inferiority complexes..

Dave

spitfire2

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

Never heard of NIH Syndrome?? It is epidemic in England and some other
areas of Europe. Full name? Not Invented Here. Have a duece of a time
getting a Limey manufacturer to adopt an American design. Have to have
the company bought by the Germans, Americans or Japs before it would
be possible. (Like Rolls, Rover, Bentley, Jag, Aston Martin, et al)

There is quite a bit of NIH in the US auto industry. Any one but me
remember when
rectangular head lamps came out in europe. I believe (at least first I
saw) on Citroen
and the US mfgrs had laws pased to make them illegal. I think it also
took quite a
few years to get steel belted radials accepted also. It reminded me of
the Russian
claims that radio and all sorts of things were "invented" there.
Just a touch of xenophobia I'm thinking. :-)
...lew...

We and the French designed and built the Concorde, while the Russians
had a stab at the same thing, but the poor Yanks, with all their money
and loud mouths, gave up, and then did their damndest to prevent
Concorde operating into the USA! Talk about sour grapes!
A little earlier, we GAVE the Yanks the know-how to build the first
atomic bomb, free.
We also gave them radar, and many other things, but all we get now in
return is sneering from present-day ignoramuses..
WE don't erect barriers to foreign ownership of companies, unlike the
USA, nor barriers against foreign companies existing and operating here.
Buying and selling companies is little to do with their quality and
effectiveness in production, but only to do with the ability of someone
to pay enough to take them over. It is better for a company to be taken
over by another and continue in existence and production, than for it to
go to the wall. Where is Pan-Am today? etc....None of our companies have
been taken over by the "Japs". We DO have Japanese companies having
plants of their own in Britain, just as we have plants from most other
countries of the world, even the from the USA! Only a few British
companies have been taken over by American ones.We own companies
throughout Europe, and European countries own companies here - nothing
unusual in that. Its only with the USA that anyone has problems! Why
should we or any other country need to adopt an American desgn, when
most countries of the world are fully capable of designing things for
themselves.

Dave. .

lcoe

spitfire2 wrote:
SMuel10363 wrote:

Just think what it would have been if it had been made in France.

hOW COULD THE fRENCH USE THEM? THEY USUALLY HAVE BOTH HANDS RASED THAT IS
UNLESS THEY HAVE THEIR FLAG(THE WHITE ONE) IN ONE HAND RAY MUELLERcart
technology

Don't you Yanks ever look at yourselves, instead of sneering at other
countries? For such insular creatures, you don't have much to be proud of.

yes, the UGLY AMERICAN syndrome, i do relate. mostly it has to do with the
complete _ease_ of advancement (socially, monetarily) in these colonies.

a fortunate circumstance for many, but certainly not all. i have worked
in the UK and Italy (travel, computers) and this was really an issue
for the "priviledged Italians", but never sensed it in Reading or London.

"Mueller - isn't that a European (German) name? With the Germans as
"neighbours" ready to invade, its no wonder the French gave in. So
would most other sensible folk! The Nazis didn't have a very good name
for friendliness towards others, especially ones who opposed them.

This supposed to be a group for metalworking, but it seems to be just a
ranting ground for isolationist Americans with inferiority complexes..
Dave

excuse me, but you seem to digress into some kind of rant/drivel....

regards, --Loren

Tim Williams

"spitfire2" wrote in message
A little earlier, we GAVE the Yanks the know-how to build the first
atomic bomb, free.

Uhm... if you did then why didn't you build one yourselves? Hmm?
I guess you /didn't/ have the know-how then...

We also gave them radar,

IIRC, in idea this is true. But we did a lot of development during the
war.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Mike Patterson

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:50:07 -0400, Tom Quackenbush
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:52:29 +0000 (UTC), spitfire2
wrote:

SNIPPED [a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with shopping carts]

more snipped
two "fixed" wheels and two "rotating" wheels (there's got to be a
better way to express that, but you know what I mean).

"castoring" and "non-castoring" wheels is commonly used.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=castor

I guess you could also say "swiveling wheels" and "non-swiveling"
wheels.

HTH
Mike

snip

R,
Tom Q.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
ph17314

Perhaps someone could introduce American cart design,
where the rear wheels are fixed, to the British and make
a lot of money. ;-)

Pete.

Hell we introduced freedom to them and they turned their noses up at it

Paul

Carl West

Peter Reilley wrote:

I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels.

I'm in the NE of the US.

The local supermarket got a batch of those in and used them for a while. Yup, PITA. Especially if you're on a cat litter run. I'm betting that the frailer members of the population were damaging the store's stock by knocking it to the floor with their unsteerable carts.

The 4-caster carts are now all chained up and gathering dirt outside the store.

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

Please update your address books with my new, correct address.
Doug Arthurs

I guess you could also say "swiveling wheels" and "non-swiveling"
wheels.

I sell casters in Canada and here we refer to them as swivel and rigid

William G Darby

"Peter Reilley" wrote in message
I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels. This makes it impossible
to steer the cart.

Come to think of it ,,,, that's how I dumped my cutter grinder on it's face.
I have the CG on a heavy duty 4 "swivel caster" cart outside, on a concrete
patio. I push the CG toward the house (to get it close enough to connect the
electrical connection) and instead of forward the far end lurches left and
off of the concrete and onto (into) the soft grass. Over she all goes!
She's just now being re assembled.

Bill D

mrbonaparte

Default Weapons Paradox

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcam...all/index.html

Dan Caster

Lewis Hartswick wrote in message

I think it also
took quite a
few years to get steel belted radials accepted also. It reminded me of
the Russian
claims that radio and all sorts of things were "invented" there.
Just a touch of xenophobia I'm thinking. :-)
...lew...

As I remember it, the only steel belted radials were manufactured and
sold by Michlein. They put no money in promotion and the tires
gradually became popular thru word of mouth. When I was in Alaska in
63, they were available from only one or two dealers in Seattle.

Dan

Peter T. Keillor III

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:35:01 -0400, "William G Darby"
wrote:

"Peter Reilley" wrote in message
I just returned from a trip to the UK and a experienced
a reoccurring annoyance. Their shopping carts and airport
carts have casters for all 4 wheels. This makes it impossible
to steer the cart.

Come to think of it ,,,, that's how I dumped my cutter grinder on it's face.
I have the CG on a heavy duty 4 "swivel caster" cart outside, on a concrete
patio. I push the CG toward the house (to get it close enough to connect the
electrical connection) and instead of forward the far end lurches left and
off of the concrete and onto (into) the soft grass. Over she all goes!
She's just now being re assembled.

Bill D

I've designed and built a lot of carts for process r&d (200 to 1000
lbs). I have always used 4 swivel casters because it's impossible to
maneuver in tight quarters with 2 swivel and 2 fixed. For the last 5
or 10 years, though, I've used the swivelling locking casters, which
can be locked at 45 deg increments or allowed to swivel. Best of both
worlds, for more money, of course.

Pete Keillor
Leo Lichtman

Carl West wrote: (clip) The 4-caster carts are now all chained up and
gathering dirt outside the store.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
How stupid! I'll bet 75% of the people in this newgroup could have welded
up the rear casters on those carts in an hour, and saved the market a couple
thousand bucks.

Ken Davey

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:52:29 +0000 (UTC), spitfire2
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

My parents are English. I am not anti-English. (my parents aren't that
bad! G)

I think the problem lies in exactly what you say. The British have had
a lot of really good ideas, then as a nation they have treated them
with comtempt and have either chosen, or had, to give them away.
Snatching failure from the jaws of brilliance.

There should be no competition here. Ideally there are developers and
researchers, technologists, and mass-producers. Let everyone place any
nation where they choose in that lot! G. Unfortunately the research
is a once-off, and is often undervalued or forgotten, even by the
researchers themselves, in the fight for the final profit or glory.

We and the French designed and built the Concorde, while the Russians
had a stab at the same thing, but the poor Yanks, with all their money
and loud mouths, gave up, and then did their damndest to prevent
Concorde operating into the USA! Talk about sour grapes!
A little earlier, we GAVE the Yanks the know-how to build the first
atomic bomb, free.
We also gave them radar, and many other things, but all we get now in
return is sneering from present-day ignoramuses..

How about Canada and the Avro Arrow?
Now there was a puzzling situation. A country develops a fighter that is
about twenty years ahead of its time and 'somehow' it gets cancelled.
I still have a *lot* of questions about that one.

Regards
Ken.

clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:34:57 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"spitfire2" wrote in message
A little earlier, we GAVE the Yanks the know-how to build the first
atomic bomb, free.

Uhm... if you did then why didn't you build one yourselves? Hmm?
I guess you /didn't/ have the know-how then...

We also gave them radar,

IIRC, in idea this is true. But we did a lot of development during the
war.

Tim

The Clinton Ontario AFB (Now the town of Vanastra) was the "home of
Radar" in the second world war. much of the military development and
training on Radar was done their. The National Research Council was
also heavily involved in Radar related development, well before the
second war.

See: http://quark.physics.uwo.ca/~drm/his...r_history.html
Eastburn

I remember - I well remember. I thought the cutting sucked.
I think we are still paying for the payoff/payout to close it down.

I remember the loonies crying about the ozone layer - but we now know
that
the ozone layer is aided and enhanced with the only one that flew -
and with the military jets.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Andrew

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in news:iafeivc29tnlbt0143eqhvk341oa147s73@
4ax.com:

On 29 Jul 2003 11:23:45 -0700, (Dan Caster) wrote:

spitfire2 wrote in message took quite a

We and the French designed and built the Concorde, while the Russians
had a stab at the same thing, but the poor Yanks, with all their

money
and loud mouths, gave up, and then did their damndest to prevent
Concorde operating into the USA! Talk about sour grapes!

And Canada built the Arrow back in 1958??? and the USA forced the
abandonment of the project. First successful supersonic fighter
design. A crime.

Have a look at the English Electric Lightining, 11th August 1954,
Supersonic without afterburners - super cruise in 1954? 4th April 1957
world speed record over M2 with minimum afterburner. Apparently full AB
was over M2 but a problem because everything got too hot.

Used to see them taking off daily as akid, four abreast from RAF
Lossiemouth chasing Russkie Bears. They got to the end of the runway and
went veritical to 60k ft with a sonic boom. They always had a fuel
shortage problem!

There used to be a display team flying nine at airshows until the Red
Arrows started up.

The crime here is that British government didn't want it and delayed
agreed funding until 1960 when it finally entered service, by which time
the costs doubled and of the expected sales only the Saudis bought them
in any number. The same government then canned the TSR2 in 1965 after
spending multi millions and tried pulling out of Concorde.
Old Nick

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 02:34:30 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Don't you Yanks ever look at yourselves, instead of sneering at other
countries? For such insular creatures, you don't have much to be proud of.
^^^^^^^^^^^
I think the anti-French comments are in bad taste, and I am sorry they
appeared here. However, the above remark is just as bad, for blaming ALL
Americans for the rudeness and ignorance of ONE.

ONE???? Boy, have you missed a few posts here! It was either here or
rec.ww that I was told that I was correct (and that was the only
time), in that the US did not give a rat's "ass" about what the rest
of the world thought. This was amongst a huge argument about the
invasion of Iraq, where anti-French, and anti anything not coalition
of the willing, invective was flung about like mud. I am from Oz, and
am therefore part of the coalition of the helplessly toady. I was
roundly abused by a lot more than one US citizen, not just for
questioning the whole thing, but because I questioned my contry's
involvement.

IMO, as with any image, be it racial, national or even industrial, the
ALL is at fault for not doing enough to counteract the image presented
by the noisy ones, hoiwever many there may be, if all are worried
about it.
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )