R. Zimmerman

You will need some dimensions from your friend. Usually the material is
5/8th or 3/4 inch diameter bar. You want the crank bend not to overhang
too far past the hole in the bumper. I would say two inches maximum. The
end that fits the crank snout usually only needs a cross hole with a 5/16 or
3/8 inch pin driven in. You will need the diameter of the crank snout hole,
the cross pin diameter and the length from snout to bumper. The hole shape
in the bumper also gives you some ideas on the cross pin size.
I used to make these up in high school for Austins and of course my Land
Rover.
Of course you and your friend know not to wrap your thumb around the crank
handle?? Lifting the handle up is also safer than pushing down.
Randy

"Bruce Simpson" wrote in message
Folks,

I have offered to make a crank handle for my friend's MG Y.

It would be appreciated if someone could advise me of the details of what is
needed:
(a) at the end of the crank handle which engages the nut on the fan belt
pulley.
(b) how long the shaft of the crank handle needs to be to clear the
front bumper bar.

(I don't have access to the MG Y as my friend lives in a distant city.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bruce Simpson
Perth, Australia