AL

Default "What the hell is a millwright?"

Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the hell is a
millwright?", displayed prominently under the center brake light of a late
model Dodge Neon. Does anyone know what it means? I can't figure it out.

Wayne Bengtsson

"AL" wrote in message
Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the hell is a
millwright?", displayed prominently under the center brake light of a late
model Dodge Neon. Does anyone know what it means? I can't figure it out.

From a web page:
http://www.tradesecrets.org/index.ht...8_profile.html

"Millwrights install, maintain, repair and troubleshoot stationary
industrial machinery and mechanical equipment in factories, production
plants and recreational facilities."

Maybe the bumper sticker was made up by someone tired of explaining what
they do for a living.

gfulton

"Kevin" wrote in message
Millright work on BIG Industrial eguipment. Setting up, maintaing

factories,
they are like farmers, jack of all trades..

Got a job as an apprentice millwright in a plant back in the '60's. There
it was mostly moving and setting up BIG and HEAVY equipment, as you said.
Learned a lot about leverage. And keeping it all running.

Pete

Up here in B.C. Canada Millwrights are trained in their apprentice ships for
five years . They must pass the Inter-Provincial red seal certification. The
training includes Machinist training ( 3rd year Machinist school), Weldor
training to a minimum of level "C" , some electrical control and a lot of
hoisting and rigging. You will find them in mills , oil refinerys and most
often every industrial plant of reasonable size that still does it's own
work. It is a very skilled and highly paid trade. A good Millwright is as
important as the old village blacksmith was in the old days ....... he could
do anything ,any time with next to nothing.

Pete

"AL" wrote in message
Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the hell is a
millwright?", displayed prominently under the center brake light of a late
model Dodge Neon. Does anyone know what it means? I can't figure it out.

Jeff Wisnia

AL wrote:
Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the hell is a
millwright?", displayed prominently under the center brake light of a late
model Dodge Neon. Does anyone know what it means? I can't figure it out.

That reminds me of the tombstone I saw while out in California attending
a relative's funeral. On the back side of Betty Stern's tombstone were
these words:

WHO THE HELL
WAS
BETTY STERN?

Only in California, where in the same cemetary I found a shining white
tombstone with nothing but the deceased's "hadwritten" signature on it.

I'm hoping that my children will have the good humor to follow through
with my oft repeated request that the back of my tombstone bears this
exclamation:

HA!

(My last laugh...)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ivan Vegvary

Several decades ago I went to Africa for a few months to help straighten out
some survey problems left by some Frenchmen who had been fired. On the
plane I met a millwright traveling to the same job for the same reason. I
told him about all the precision equipment that I am taking with me
(theodolite reading to one second of arc) etc. He kept quiet about his
equipment.

After a few days of work I realized that he is working with layout equipment
that far surpasses anything that I had seen or imagined. He would do setups
with mirrors, micrometers, collimators etc. that would align shafts of
equipment that were 30 to 50 feet apart. He would send a light beam around
a 40ft. x 60 ft. rectangle (mirrors) and align equipment to within a
thousandth of an inch at those distances. Needless to say, had I used
surveying techniques my accumulated errors in four setups would have
exceeded (worsened) his by a factor of 20, or so. I was very impressed. He
would explain to me that in a conveyor line (heavy multi-ton aluminum
ingots) one roller out of alignment by a mere few thousandths of an inch
would mean bearing life cut in half, etc.

As mentioned in the other posts he was a jack of all trades. While I was
pretty impressed at my ability to lay out column lines to within an eight of
an inch at distances of hundreds of feet, his everyday accuracy way exceeded
what I could do with my equipment and knowledge.

Ivan Vegvary
"AL" wrote in message
Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the hell is a
millwright?", displayed prominently under the center brake light of a late
model Dodge Neon. Does anyone know what it means? I can't figure it out.

Don Stauffer

Pete wrote:
snip

A good Millwright is as
important as the old village blacksmith was in the old days ....... he could
do anything ,any time with next to nothing.

Pete

In fact, it might be interesting to deal with the difference between a
blacksmith and a millwright. We tend to think of a blacksmith as
someone who shod horses, but of course they did much more than that.

I assume the original "millwrights" (someone who made or repaired mills)
was either a good carpenter was well as metal worker, or else had an
associate who was a carpenter/builder. I would guess in many cases the
millwright made the machinery for the mill, while a carpenter/builder
built the structure.

I am really interested in this thread, 'cause I am working on a
historical novel where the leading character is a millwright.

BTW, what was the term in use in those days for someone who did build
houses and other structures?
Leo Lichtman

"AL" wrote: Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the
hell is a millwright?", (clip) Does anyone know what it means? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, AL, but I don't think anyone has answered your
question. You weren't asking, "What is a millwright." You were asking,
"Why would anyone ask that question on a bumper sticker?" I can't figure it
out either.

Jim Stewart

Pete wrote:
Up here in B.C. Canada Millwrights are trained in their apprentice ships for
five years . They must pass the Inter-Provincial red seal certification. The
training includes Machinist training ( 3rd year Machinist school), Weldor
training to a minimum of level "C" , some electrical control and a lot of
hoisting and rigging. You will find them in mills , oil refinerys and most
often every industrial plant of reasonable size that still does it's own
work. It is a very skilled and highly paid trade. A good Millwright is as
important as the old village blacksmith was in the old days ....... he could
do anything ,any time with next to nothing.

Back when the Cascades in Washington state
supported dozens of sawmills, each had a
millwright with similar abilities.

In addition to the machinist skills, the
millwright was often the first-line electrician
and pipefitter.

The jobs, to the best of my limited knowledge,
were often filled by ex-navy/merchant marine
engineers.

Emmo

I think the point of the sticker is that as manufacturing jobs disappear, so
do the skills that were once required. It is a political comment on the
scourge of outsourcing.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"AL" wrote: Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What
the hell is a millwright?", (clip) Does anyone know what it means? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, AL, but I don't think anyone has answered your
question. You weren't asking, "What is a millwright." You were asking,
"Why would anyone ask that question on a bumper sticker?" I can't figure
it out either.

Leo Lichtman

"Emmo" wrote: I think the point of the sticker is that as manufacturing
jobs disappear, so do the skills that were once required. It is a
political comment on the
scourge of outsourcing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You may very well be right about the intended meaning. And you are
certainly right about the effect of outsourcing, as well as the effect of
high tech manufacturing techniques and products on our job skills.

However, I would never hire the author of that bumper sticker to design a
campaign for me. The message requires you to know the answer before you can
understand the question. (And it helps if you are a mind reader.)

David Billington

You could get hit some places for saying a blacksmith shod horses, thats
done by a farrier. I know a good blacksmith and what his does is very
distinct from fitting horse shoes.

Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

[...]

Tim Wescott

AL wrote:

Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the hell is a
millwright?", displayed prominently under the center brake light of a late
model Dodge Neon. Does anyone know what it means? I can't figure it out.

I have a cousin in law who's a millwright -- I'd like to get him one
like it.

Of course I'd like one that says "what the hell is a systems engineer?"
Now _there's_ a question who's answer is highly variable.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:
[...]

In the Metro Transit Bus repair shops in Seattle the Millwright is in
charge of maintaining and repairing all service equipment, from overhead
hoists to hydraulic lifts.
My neighbor is an electric bus mechanic for Metro.

BTW, what was the term in use in those days for someone who did build
houses and other structures?

Woodwright

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Dave Hinz

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:34:42 GMT, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"AL" wrote: Earlier this evening, I saw a bumper stick which said "What the
hell is a millwright?", (clip) Does anyone know what it means? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Correct me if I'm wrong, AL, but I don't think anyone has answered your
question. You weren't asking, "What is a millwright." You were asking,
"Why would anyone ask that question on a bumper sticker?" I can't figure it
out either.

Shot in the dark here, but is there a local-ish college team whose name
is "The Millwrights"? A tech/industrial college just might have such a
nickname, and an opposing team might,
no,too much of a stretch. Disregard.

Leo Lichtman

"Dave Hinz" wrote: (clip) A tech/industrial college just might have such a
nickname, and an opposing team might, no,too much of a stretch. Disregard.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Millwrongs? I had to ask.

Jim Stewart

Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

snip

A good Millwright is as

important as the old village blacksmith was in the old days ....... he
could do anything ,any time with next to nothing.

Pete

In fact, it might be interesting to deal with the difference between a
blacksmith and a millwright. We tend to think of a blacksmith as
someone who shod horses, but of course they did much more than that.

I assume the original "millwrights" (someone who made or repaired mills)
was either a good carpenter was well as metal worker, or else had an
associate who was a carpenter/builder. I would guess in many cases the
millwright made the machinery for the mill, while a carpenter/builder
built the structure.

I was watching a "Hands On History" last night and
they were talking about Washington's grist mill.

They said that in those days a millwright was a
carpenter that specialized in fabricating the
(mostly wooden) running gear used in a mill.

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:
[...]

I wonder what that makes me?

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

Jim Stewart

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

[...]

A tired-iron-wright?

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:30:02 GMT, Gunner wrote:

I wonder what that makes me?

Um, a JOAT/scrounger, I do believe.

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

OK, "Master Scrounger" then. I say that with a great deal of admiration
and respect, of course.

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:44:16 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

[...]

Oooooh! I like it!!

Gunner

Bruce L. Bergman

On 29 Aug 2005 20:07:29 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:30:02 GMT, Gunner wrote:

I wonder what that makes me?

Um, a JOAT/scrounger, I do believe.

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

OK, "Master Scrounger" then. I say that with a great deal of admiration
and respect, of course.

Ditto. And here in the newsgroups, a "Master Debater". Though the
way some people pronounce it, they slur a few of the syllables in the
middle... ;-D

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:
[...]

Junkwright?

Scrapwright?

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Gunner

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:13:14 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On 29 Aug 2005 20:07:29 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:30:02 GMT, Gunner wrote:

I wonder what that makes me?

Um, a JOAT/scrounger, I do believe.

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

OK, "Master Scrounger" then. I say that with a great deal of admiration
and respect, of course.

Ditto. And here in the newsgroups, a "Master Debater". Though the
way some people pronounce it, they slur a few of the syllables in the
middle... ;-D

-- Bruce --

Hell Bruce..Im only an Apprentice Bater. But if I keep pounding
away..Im bound to cum up with my Master.

Gunner

Gunner

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:37:32 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:
[...]

Cool too! New titles for updating my business cards!!

Gunner

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:30:02 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:
[...]

Tinker. But it could be said you've got the wright stuff, so by a
stretch of the term, you is a millwright. A high tech one, but hey, if the
folks who install seat cushions in Boeing planes can be 'machinists', and
guys who make doors and box springs can be "Sawmill and Lumber workers",
you can be a millwright.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:50 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner
clearly indicated:

I wonder what that makes me?

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

Junkwright?

Scrapwright?

I like Scrapwright, myself.

Cool too! New titles for updating my business cards!!

Let me know when you need those designed. I need to build up tool
credits with you.

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
Gunner

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:51:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:50 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner
clearly indicated:

I wonder what that makes me?

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

Junkwright?

Scrapwright?

I like Scrapwright, myself.

Cool too! New titles for updating my business cards!!

Let me know when you need those designed. I need to build up tool
credits with you.

You do that too?

Hummm...Im running out of "Good for one free Orgasm" cards with "Free
Cowboy Mustache Rides" printed on the reverse.

Ill think on this.....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Tim Wescott

Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

[...]

In "The Woodwright's Eclectic Workshop" Roy Underhill describes making a
water mill in the old days -- it was all wood of several types, each one
chosen for it's particular properties of strength vs. ease of working
vs. wear resistance, etc. It sounded from his description that the
millwright of old needed to push his available technology, and did
things that were comparatively as amazing, as the current millwrights do.

I'm sure that as metal started making it's way into the scene the
millwright adapted, until they became workers in everything instead of a
subset of woodwrights.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:27:37 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner
clearly indicated:

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:12:50 GMT, the blithe spirit Gunner
clearly indicated:

I wonder what that makes me?

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

Junkwright?

Scrapwright?

I like Scrapwright, myself.

Cool too! New titles for updating my business cards!!

Let me know when you need those designed. I need to build up tool
credits with you.

You do that too?

Yes, I still do pre-press design and layout work, but Terry
used to print the stuff for me on an old Multilith 1250. He's
still down in LoCal (San Marcos.)

Hummm...Im running out of "Good for one free Orgasm" cards with "Free
Cowboy Mustache Rides" printed on the reverse.

You can get 250 of each printed up at www.Vistaprint.com really
cheap (free single-sided cards with their URL on the back for
$5.25 shipping or $15 + s/h for double-sided)

Maybe we should all go together and get a ****load of 'em. g

I'm doing some cards and postcards for a client and he's having a
FL company print them. Something like $60 for 5,000 of 'em (double-
sided with matte UV coating on the front) through an Ebay purchase.

Ill think on this.....

Yeah, and back when I was a Minister, I had cards printed up which
said "Last Rites, Marrials, and Burials" figuring all 3 were pretty
much the same energy/attitude.

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---

Dealing with the tenants from hell Ablang Home Ownership 1 August 6th 05 03:11 PM
How much does one tip removal men? MM UK diy 27 November 30th 04 05:38 PM
OT Boyles Law Pete Metalworking 5 November 23rd 04 02:42 PM
A Go To Hell Router Table Unisaw A100 Woodworking 7 August 3rd 04 01:07 AM
'kin ell it's hot Dave Baker UK diy 34 August 10th 03 09:54 PM