Jim Stewart

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:28:56 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article ,
Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

snip

A good Millwright is as

important as the old village blacksmith was in the old days ....... he
could
do anything ,any time with next to nothing.

Pete

In fact, it might be interesting to deal with the difference between a
blacksmith and a millwright. We tend to think of a blacksmith as
someone who shod horses, but of course they did much more than that.

I assume the original "millwrights" (someone who made or repaired mills)
was either a good carpenter was well as metal worker, or else had an
associate who was a carpenter/builder. I would guess in many cases the
millwright made the machinery for the mill, while a carpenter/builder
built the structure.

I am really interested in this thread, 'cause I am working on a
historical novel where the leading character is a millwright.

In the Metro Transit Bus repair shops in Seattle the Millwright is in
charge of maintaining and repairing all service equipment, from overhead
hoists to hydraulic lifts.
My neighbor is an electric bus mechanic for Metro.

BTW, what was the term in use in those days for someone who did build
houses and other structures?

Woodwright

I wonder what that makes me?

Gunner, Machine tool mechanic, fixer of busted air lines and installer
of electrical Stuff

A tired-iron-wright?