David Billington

You could get hit some places for saying a blacksmith shod horses, thats
done by a farrier. I know a good blacksmith and what his does is very
distinct from fitting horse shoes.

Don Stauffer wrote:

Pete wrote:

snip

A good Millwright is as

important as the old village blacksmith was in the old days .......
he could do anything ,any time with next to nothing.

Pete

In fact, it might be interesting to deal with the difference between a
blacksmith and a millwright. We tend to think of a blacksmith as
someone who shod horses, but of course they did much more than that.

I assume the original "millwrights" (someone who made or repaired
mills) was either a good carpenter was well as metal worker, or else
had an associate who was a carpenter/builder. I would guess in many
cases the millwright made the machinery for the mill, while a
carpenter/builder built the structure.

I am really interested in this thread, 'cause I am working on a
historical novel where the leading character is a millwright.

BTW, what was the term in use in those days for someone who did build
houses and other structures?