MM

Default How much does one tip removal men?

How much does one tip removal men?

MM
Andy Hall

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:57:41 +0000, MM wrote:

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

Nothing.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Al Reynolds

"MM" wrote:
How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Al

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Al Reynolds wrote:
"MM" wrote:
How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Correct. See Reservoir Dogs.

Si

John Stumbles

Al Reynolds wrote:
"MM" wrote:

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Made the mistake of tipping them then finding that they'd already tipped
themselves 'in kind' :-(

nog

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:28:36 GMT, John Stumbles wrote:

Al Reynolds wrote:
"MM" wrote:

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Made the mistake of tipping them then finding that they'd already tipped
themselves 'in kind' :-(

A certain "Christian" company based in Cheadle, Cheshire?
Lurch

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:57:41 +0000, MM strung
together this:

How much does one tip removal men?

Tip?
More like invoice for damages caused.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Scott

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

MM

I'd say nothing - but if they were helpful, on time, efficient and no
breakages then a couple of creates of beer would be more appreciated than
say 100 quid split 5 ways...

Terry

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

MM

??????
Once you get them to about a 15 to 20 degree angle they will go over the
rest of the way by themselves! Depends a bit on build and stability.

Sorry about the levity; but when we go to the dump (tip) we haul the stuff
in one of our two pickups; friends use a trailer or the trunk (boot) of the
car. We dump it ourselves the dump staff are attendants and see to safety,
where to dump etc. Sometimes a dusty, muddy smelly job; best to wear work
boots and old clothes.
Dump (tip) is open weekdays until 5.00 PM and Saturdays until midday. So
best plan is to load up on Friday night and make an early trip Saturday. For
occasional dumping there is no charge for individual residents. For 'Garbage
collectors' who work daily it is necessary to buy a 'Dumping permit' which I
don't think is too expensive, maybe $35 (roughly 12 to 15 quid). After all
if you make dumping too complicated or expensive it defeats the objective of
encouraging the public to clean up and not litter the countryside! If one
doesn't own a pickup or a car utility trailer it's usually quite easy to get
a relative or a friend with a pickup truck to haul occasional load of litter
away for the price of a friendly beer or two or an invite to supper etc.

Lurch

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:55:23 -0330, "Terry"
strung together this:

[...]

And that is in relation to the OP how exactly?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

:::Jerry::::

"Terry" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

quick shake of head...

Err ??!!!

another quick shake of head...

The words 'tip' and 'removal' must have another meaning on the left side of
the pond....

Bert Coules

Terry,

In English, "removal men" are those helpful chaps who transport your
furniture and other possessions from your old house to your new one when you
move.

In American, they're obviously not...

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Mike

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

A bottle of scotch each.

John Stumbles

Al Reynolds wrote:

"MM" wrote:

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Made the mistake of tipping them then finding that they'd already tipped
themselves 'in kind' :-(

A certain "Christian" company based in Cheadle, Cheshire?

Good God no!

As a devout atheist, it'd be a cold day in Hell before I'd go to them ;-)

This lot were from Peckham. And, no, they didn't have a 3-wheeler!
John Armstrong

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:45:15 -0000, Bert Coules wrote:

Terry,

In English, "removal men" are those helpful chaps who transport your
furniture and other possessions from your old house to your new one when you
move.

In American, they're obviously not...

Yep I think its too many years since Terry left these shores. I suppose he
was thinking removal men = disposal men?

nog

Al Reynolds wrote:

"MM" wrote:

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Made the mistake of tipping them then finding that they'd already tipped
themselves 'in kind' :-(

A certain "Christian" company based in Cheadle, Cheshire?

Good God no!

As a devout atheist, it'd be a cold day in Hell before I'd go to them ;-)

Would have been my sentiment too, but we had about three days notice in
which to move from the rented house we occupied at the time.
Two+ years on, we are still realising stuff is missing - they even helped
themselves to our lawnmower, as well as our then landlord's bicycle that
had been stored in the garage roofspace.
Of course, "... as Christians, we would never do such a thing."
tony sayer

In article , John Stumbles
writes

Al Reynolds wrote:

"MM" wrote:

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

My instinct is nothing, unless they do something
unusually helpful. They do get paid after all.

Made the mistake of tipping them then finding that they'd already tipped
themselves 'in kind' :-(

A certain "Christian" company based in Cheadle, Cheshire?

Good God no!

As a devout atheist, it'd be a cold day in Hell before I'd go to them ;-)

Whilst on that subject.. enjoy!....

Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or Endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
(gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some
variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we
need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate
at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a
soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different
Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state
that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not
belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to
hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number
of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's
Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to
stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls
are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase
until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes
over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during
my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep
with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last
night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is
exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it
follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore,
extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine
being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

Owain

"Mike" wrote
| How much does one tip removal men?
| A bottle of scotch each.

And you tell them the bottles are hidden amongst your most treasured and
delicate possessions so if they want their tip they'd better be gentle with
your stuff.

Owain

Terry

"John Armstrong" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:45:15 -0000, Bert Coules wrote:

Terry,

In English, "removal men" are those helpful chaps who transport your
furniture and other possessions from your old house to your new one when

you
move.

In ........ CANADA ........ (please don't confuse with US of A);

they're obviously not...

Yep I think its too many years since Terry left these shores. I suppose he
was thinking removal men = disposal men?

..
John/Bert:
Boy am I out of date! Thanks for the correction.
And you are right; cos. I thought it was the modern designation for
"Dustmen", or maybe these days more politically correctly, "Dust persons"!
Aha, I get it. You mean "Movers". Van lines, transportation company,
couriers and similar employees. You tip them?
I presume you have 'U-Haul', 'Rent-a-truck', 'Ryders Truck Rentals' etc. We
are more likely to use one of those self drives for local moves within say a
160 kilometres, the USA still uses miles btw, the big boys for a major move
from province to province across Canada.
And 'tip' does mean garbage dump does it not?
Cheers.
PS. Canada is geographically larger with a more northern climate, harsher
winters, higher heating costs, longer distances etc. than the US, with one
tenth of the population. We have a very different form of government based
on the British parliamentary system. It is not always comfortable living
next to our large cousin, but we maintain our independence although many
life styles are similar. Right now the Canadian economy is doing quite well,
while the US is ...... well!
While Canada does the majority of its trade with the US various restrictive
trade practices are forcing Canada to trade elsewhere, notably China and the
Far East and also the EC. It's a great country!

Bert Coules

Terry,

In ........ CANADA ........ (please don't confuse with US of A)
they're obviously not...

Apologies for putting you in the wrong country (though what I actually
wrote was "...in American..." and I was referring to the language, not the
location). Seeing words like "garbage" and sums expressed in dollars, I
leapt to a hasty conclusion, but I wasn't in the least confused - merely
wrong.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Lurch

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:29:26 -0330, "Terry"
strung together this:

And 'tip' does mean garbage dump does it not?

Nope, tip as in a bit of cash for the lads for a job well done or
something like that. Bit like service charge in a restaurant.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Richard Sterry

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

Frequently - over a cliff, preferably! ;-)

You can tell that I wasn't overly impressed with them last time we moved.
Pity, if they hadn't been in such a tearing hurry to dump stuff anywhere
they jolly well liked, and **** off home, they might have done alright out
of it. As it was - zilch, and no return business!

Rick

Maurice Hood

"MM" wrote in message

How much does one tip removal men?

MM

tip! what tips do you get?

JJ

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

you're all being a bit harsh here ;-)

£20 to £30 a head if they've earned it, given you & the family a bit of
banter along the way & look suitably knackered from hard work.

remember most of your fee goes to the company they work for - they get
practically sod all.

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

JJ wrote:
"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

you're all being a bit harsh here ;-)

£20 to £30 a head if they've earned it, given you & the family a bit
of banter along the way & look suitably knackered from hard work.

remember most of your fee goes to the company they work for - they get
practically sod all.

They don't *have* to do it and I'm sure they get more than minimum.

Si

Neil Jones

"Mike" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

A bottle of scotch each.

Ditto, but that was becasue I forgot to tell them we had a piano.

Peter Stockdale

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
How much does one tip removal men?

A bottle of scotch each.

Ditto, but that was becasue I forgot to tell them we had a piano.

My chappies were magnificent - small local firm - once in a lifetime move of
30 yrs accumulated "collectables".(including piano !)
Well worth the £100 they got.
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

GRC GRC is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
How much does one tip removal men?

MM
As much as you think they're worth. If they've moved everything without breakages, or other damage, then show appreciation for this with a large tip.

If not, or they've shown poor customer service, then reduce or withhold the tip.

Regards, Graham