Terry

"John Armstrong" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:45:15 -0000, Bert Coules wrote:

Terry,

In English, "removal men" are those helpful chaps who transport your
furniture and other possessions from your old house to your new one when

you
move.

In ........ CANADA ........ (please don't confuse with US of A);

they're obviously not...

Yep I think its too many years since Terry left these shores. I suppose he
was thinking removal men = disposal men?

..
John/Bert:
Boy am I out of date! Thanks for the correction.
And you are right; cos. I thought it was the modern designation for
"Dustmen", or maybe these days more politically correctly, "Dust persons"!
Aha, I get it. You mean "Movers". Van lines, transportation company,
couriers and similar employees. You tip them?
I presume you have 'U-Haul', 'Rent-a-truck', 'Ryders Truck Rentals' etc. We
are more likely to use one of those self drives for local moves within say a
160 kilometres, the USA still uses miles btw, the big boys for a major move
from province to province across Canada.
And 'tip' does mean garbage dump does it not?
Cheers.
PS. Canada is geographically larger with a more northern climate, harsher
winters, higher heating costs, longer distances etc. than the US, with one
tenth of the population. We have a very different form of government based
on the British parliamentary system. It is not always comfortable living
next to our large cousin, but we maintain our independence although many
life styles are similar. Right now the Canadian economy is doing quite well,
while the US is ...... well!
While Canada does the majority of its trade with the US various restrictive
trade practices are forcing Canada to trade elsewhere, notably China and the
Far East and also the EC. It's a great country!