F. George McDuffee

Default Belt replacement on step pulley j-head

Advice needed.

The drive belt on our step pulley j-head Bridgeport broke after
many years of faithful service. Some time in the past, the
original Bridgeport belt had been replaced with an automotive
belt, and we were able to obtain an exact replacement from Auto
Zone.

Problem is installation. Anyone have a good way to do this
without major disassembly?

As a "quick fix" to finish out the semester, we are currently
running an "emergency fan belt" [about 6.00$] which could be
installed by cutting to length and splicing with special metal
clips. Mill receives only light usage a few nights a week by
students and seems to be working OK.

Has anyone used a link-belt as a long-term replacement? Our mill
supply is attempting to locate a supplier/distributor. Harbor
Freight offers what they call "Accu-Link" for 19.95 see:

A fast google search indicates this may be a US made product made
by http://www.jasonindustrial.com/trans...lts/vbelts.php

George

If I recall that really is not much of a job.
You remove the nuts from the bottom of the motor mounting studs,
remove the brake lock handle
turn the cam ring handle to the front position and remove the two cam
ring pins.
remove the screws that hold the belt housing
lift the motor off and set it aside
pick the belt housing off and swap the old belt for the new one the
reverse the above to re-assemble.

About a 30 minute job if I recall.

George

F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

Cliff

On 16 Aug 2005 10:46:34 -0700, "George"
wrote:

About a 30 minute job if I recall.

Is there space to add a spare belt for next time?
And room to fit it when needed, without again
removing things?
--
Cliff
F. George McDuffee

Broken belt identified as 4L344 [maker unknown]
Auto Zone counterman crossed this to Kelly-Springfield 84340.
Given it appears to be a major PITA to replace the belt, I am
looking for the equivilant top-of-the line kevlar Gates.

GmcD
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:19:57 GMT, "SteveF" wrote:
Can't help on the disassembly but for those of us with older BP J heads,
what is the part number or id on the belt that you got from Auto Zone?
Thanks.
Steve.

=========================
snip

Gary H. Lucas

[...]

George,
If you want to go the linkbelt route try the reinforced urethane one. The
brand is right on the tip of my tongue, but unfortunately not attached to
the tips of my fingers. However it is sold by McMaster Carr. The company
claims it will outlast a regular belt. I can't verify that. However a
customer had very poorly designed machine where the drive pulley was way too
small and it required major disassembly to replace, and the belt slipped
badly because there was no way to adjust it. The company salesman gave me a
sample of that belt to try, and I added a spring loaded tensioner that bent
the belt the other way between the two pulley to get more wrap on the small
one. This is real abuse, a 1-1/2 drive pulley and a back bend the other way
but the customer is very happy. He gets two seasons out of the belt and
replacing it by opening a link takes just a minute or two. Under normal
conditions it just might last a hell of a long time. By the way the
coefficient of friction seems higher than a regular belt too so it seems to
transmit power better.

Gary H. Lucas

Cliff

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:09:31 GMT, "Gary H. Lucas"
wrote:

the belt slipped badly

Always consider "belt dressing".

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
--
Cliff
Pete C.

xray wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

On link belt (not sure if it's necessary in this case)... After some
discussion in metalworking in June, I bought some link belt to save
pulling the spindle on a lathe I had picked up. I got it he
http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/9376.aspx

The manufacturer is he
http://www.fennerindustrial.com/prod...twist_ind.html

At the time I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to run the belt
backwards, but it seems ok so far. If it needed to run in reverse very
often or under real load, I might reconsider.

Not sure if this helps in your case, but I was pleased when I finally
found QC. I thought I was going to buy some belt material from Grainger
locally, but found out I didn't have the required business documentation
to buy from them. (What's up with that anyway? My money isn't good
enough?)

I had issues with Grainger as well, but faxing them a copy of my
Schedule C, in fact the one that showed a whopping $750 or so net profit
for the year when I was busy moving and not consulting, convinced them
that I was a business. I like MSC, but there are a few things the
Grainger carries that MSC doesn't.

Pete C.

Martin H. Eastburn

xray wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:

[...]

I use the powertwist type myself. Both Metal and wood lathe.
Powertwist was developed for conveyor belt use - heavy loading.
It takes a short work in period and then you reduce the length by a link
per x length. It seats nice and the fiber sides grip nicely.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Roy

The manual pages for belt replacemenrt on the BP is on my website
pages. Its under the Technical section under the Bridgeport stuff.
Pretty easy and straight forward.

http://www.frugalmachinist.com

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:43:02 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

===Advice needed.
===
[...]
===http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43771
===
===A fast google search indicates this may be a US made product made
===by http://www.jasonindustrial.com/trans...lts/vbelts.php
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Jon Elson

F. George McDuffee wrote:
Advice needed.

The drive belt on our step pulley j-head Bridgeport broke after
many years of faithful service. Some time in the past, the
original Bridgeport belt had been replaced with an automotive
belt, and we were able to obtain an exact replacement from Auto
Zone.

Problem is installation. Anyone have a good way to do this
without major disassembly?

Not exactly, but the disassembly you need is not major. I just
did this last week, I had the head all apart to put in a tach.
First, remove the nut and clamping handle that hold the motor on.
After dealing with the belt, if still there, lift the motor
straight up and off the head. Now, remove 6 socket head screws on the
bottom of the belt housing. Also, remove the big nut on the top
of the toothed belt pulley. Pry up on the pulley, gently, with two
screwdrivers, wiggling until it gets loose, then together to
lift the pulley as far as it will go. Now, lift the upper
part of the belt housing, and work the toothed pulley off the shaft.
The toothed belt can be inspected and replaced if necessary.
Loop the new Vee belt around the area where it is to sit, and then
put the housing back on, making sure the vee belt is free to come up
around the front pulley. This should take no more than 30 minutes
even the first time you do it.

Jon

woodworker88

Good link belts are sold by most woodworking suppliers for use as
replacement table saw drive belts. I have seen them in the catalogs
for woodcraft supply www.woodcraft.com and woodworker's supply.

Dave August

FWIW my J head had a new belt put of from the guy I bought it from, here's
the numbers.

GoodYear Insta-Power 84340 (4l340)-A32F Flexten

--.- Dave

[...]

F. George McDuffee

Thanks to everyone for the good information.

I have received several emails asking about the "emergency" belt
replacement.

The one we used was from O'riley AutoParts -- Victor sku V-320.
1/2 wide belt c. 60 inches [5 feet] long. Belt looks like normal
v-belt except it has holes punched every 1/2 inch. Belt is
joined by two metal plates and two screws that hold the metal
plates together "pinching" the belt. The belt rides high enough
in the pullies that the metal clips don't touch.
see:
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...it-130187.aspx

We are running the mill at 660 rpm using a 3 TPU-322 C6 inserts
1-1/4 diameter R-8 shank face mill to square up some 2 X 3 soft
steel stock. We now have about 5 hours of run time and
everything seems to be going well.

Notes on installation

(1) While the belt comes with a screwdriver and knife, both are
useless. I can't see trying to install one of these on a car in
a sleet storm at 3 in the morning.

(2) Use a box cutter / utility knife to trim to length. WD-40
will help the knife cut *MUCH* easier.

(3) On the ends of the belt that go in the clip, try to have
about equal amounts of belt beyond the screw holes in each end.
We had too much on one side so the other was too thin and tore
out. We trimmed both ends and re-assembled with good results.

(4) Use a good full size screw driver with a square tip. The
screws require considerable torque to drive through the belt and
into the clip.

(5) The picture shows the clip with the screw heads to the
outside. We had to mount the clips with the head to the inside
and the threaded clip to the outside [of the belt] to provide
clearence at the bottom of the pully.

(6) Don't cut the belt too short. Plan on making at least two
tries.

(7) There is another type of emergency fanbelt available. Its a
plastic tube with a special oneway plug to splice into a loop. I
don't know how these would work.
tubular
http://www.wixtools.com/cgi-bin/miva... t_Code=82261
some other types
http://store1.yimg.com/I/preparednes..._1855_23261883
http://preparedness.com/ribserbelrep.html

wrote:

[...]

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:54:13 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

(7) There is another type of emergency fanbelt available. Its a
plastic tube with a special oneway plug to splice into a loop. I
don't know how these wou

Womans nylon stockings work surprisingly well as replacement fanbelts.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On 23 Aug 2005 03:37:54 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Womans nylon stockings work surprisingly well as replacement fanbelts.

Ahh. So that's how you explain the stray pair that turns up in the glove
box.

But of course.

Last time I used the trick was when I stopped to help a couple in a
Mercedes out in the middle of the desert. Hot as hell and they had
blown a fan belt about 35 miles from town.

The guy looked pretty familiar, but she..big humongous tits, no bra,
big nipples. G

I asked her if she had a pair of nylons she could donate to the cause,
and she jerked down her jeans, and pulled off her panty hose right
then and there. Got a hell of a show, with her grinning a big smile.

I cut the legs free, wrapped and tied the nylons around the pulleys,
and then followed Mel Gibson and Co. into Bakersfield and made sure
they got to a garage.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Tom Accuosti

"D Murphy" wrote in message

| Gunner Asch wrote in
| :
|
| | Womans nylon stockings work surprisingly well as replacement
| | fanbelts.
|
| Ahh. So that's how you explain the stray pair that turns up in the
| glove box.

Wait, wait - true story.

I'm in my early 20's and parking at a local makeout spot with my
girlfriend, and for some unremembered reason she opens the glovebox.

"What the hell are these?"
Uh, they look like pantyhose. Why?
"They're NOT mine."
Oh. Uh, they *must* be because they're not mine.
"%$_&(%&^(^@#!!!"

long frosty drive home

Turns out, as I discover a couple of weeks later, my sister had borrowed
my car and her friend had changed in the front seat on the way to the
beach and left her panty hose in my glovebox - like 2 months earlier. Of
course I hadn't looked in my glove box, I only go in there to change the
registration renewal, I dont' keep anything useful in there.

I tried explaining all that, but you know how some women get...

moT

Gunner

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:40:40 GMT, "Tom Accuosti"
wrote:

"D Murphy" wrote in message

| Gunner Asch wrote in
| :
|
| | Womans nylon stockings work surprisingly well as replacement
| | fanbelts.
|
| Ahh. So that's how you explain the stray pair that turns up in the
| glove box.

Wait, wait - true story.

I'm in my early 20's and parking at a local makeout spot with my
girlfriend, and for some unremembered reason she opens the glovebox.

"What the hell are these?"
Uh, they look like pantyhose. Why?
"They're NOT mine."
Oh. Uh, they *must* be because they're not mine.
"%$_&(%&^(^@#!!!"

long frosty drive home

Turns out, as I discover a couple of weeks later, my sister had borrowed
my car and her friend had changed in the front seat on the way to the
beach and left her panty hose in my glovebox - like 2 months earlier. Of
course I hadn't looked in my glove box, I only go in there to change the
registration renewal, I dont' keep anything useful in there.

I tried explaining all that, but you know how some women get...

moT

I never could sucessfully explain to my Dad where the single blue
contact lens, the half empty bottle of Sudden Discomfort, the size 1
panties, the size 48DD bra (4 hook) and the impressivly large stack
of empty condom wrappers that he found under the back seat of his old
Plymouth Fury 3 came from, when he discovered them after removing the
seat for some reason or another. Particularly when he reminded me he
had bought the car new......

Must have been one hell of an after hours party on the old assembly
line.

Sigh..he didnt buy that either....