Jon Elson

F. George McDuffee wrote:
Advice needed.

The drive belt on our step pulley j-head Bridgeport broke after
many years of faithful service. Some time in the past, the
original Bridgeport belt had been replaced with an automotive
belt, and we were able to obtain an exact replacement from Auto
Zone.

Problem is installation. Anyone have a good way to do this
without major disassembly?

Not exactly, but the disassembly you need is not major. I just
did this last week, I had the head all apart to put in a tach.
First, remove the nut and clamping handle that hold the motor on.
After dealing with the belt, if still there, lift the motor
straight up and off the head. Now, remove 6 socket head screws on the
bottom of the belt housing. Also, remove the big nut on the top
of the toothed belt pulley. Pry up on the pulley, gently, with two
screwdrivers, wiggling until it gets loose, then together to
lift the pulley as far as it will go. Now, lift the upper
part of the belt housing, and work the toothed pulley off the shaft.
The toothed belt can be inspected and replaced if necessary.
Loop the new Vee belt around the area where it is to sit, and then
put the housing back on, making sure the vee belt is free to come up
around the front pulley. This should take no more than 30 minutes
even the first time you do it.

Jon