Jeff Taylor

Default WTB: clunker lathe

I'm looking to buy a used lathe. I'm going to convert this into a
special job machine and thus I don't need all the usual stuff. I don't
care about bed wear, cross slide screw wear, or even if it has a lead
screw. Basically, I'm looking for a cheap clunker, probably a SB Heavy
10 or equivalent (did any of the SB 9" have 5C capable spindles?).

Lathe must have:
Bed length, the shorter the better. I only need about 5" center to center.
Head stock.
Spindle hole 1-3/8" min, 1-1/2" or larger preferred.
Saddle and cross slide.
Tail stock.

Would like:
Lever 5C collet closer.
Bench/cabinet mount.

Don't need:
Power cross feed
Power long feed
lead screw
Apron
Tooling other than the collet closer
Motor

I'm in southern Connecticut.

Email me with what you have at jt27278 (at) optonline (dot) net

Thanks!
Steve Smith

Brentwood, NH (not exactly close)
http://www.brentwoodmachine.com/merc...rent/brent.htm
had some with pretty serious bed wear, but that was maybe a year ago.
You might give them a call. If you find a clunker elsewhere, it may save
you money...

Steve
Brownfield, ME

Jeff Taylor wrote:

[...]

Rex B

Other than the Spindle through-hole, I have a 10" Atlas that fits the
bill. I also figured on using if for things I wouldn't want to mess up
my good lathes with. But I'd sell it.

Rex B
Fort Worth

Jeff Taylor wrote:
[...]

gfulton

Jeff Taylor wrote:
[...]

I was going to bid on this one, but did a little research and saw that it
weighed 3900 lbs. Too much for my 3/4 ton truck. And I'd have to hire
riggers to move it to a trailer or truck anyhow. It hasn't bid up more than
$110 as of this afternoon. Haven't seen anything except the pictures on the
website, but these Rivett lathes have been spoken of highly on a couple
forums where I lurk. Go to www.govdeals.com, type in the word Rivett in the
search window and it will come up. It's located in Largo, FL. Over by St.
Petersburg, I think, on the Gulf coast of Fl. if you're interested in it.
You might email Gunner, as he mentioned he's got a Rivett lathe, (but not
this model), in his shop. The only difference between the 1020S and the
1020F model is that the F model is later, and has an electronic tach
instead of mechanical. Also has a 12 1/2 inch swing instead of the 12 inch
swing of the S model. Hope this helps your search.

Garrett Fulton

Jeff Taylor

Rex B wrote:
Other than the Spindle through-hole, I have a 10" Atlas that fits the
bill. I also figured on using if for things I wouldn't want to mess up
my good lathes with. But I'd sell it.

Rex B
Fort Worth

I need to be able to put 1-1/4" through the spindle. That knocks out
the Atlas and most of the small South Bends.

Does anyone know if any of the 9" South Bends had 1-3/8" spindles?

-Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor

[...]

Thanks for the tip. If it was closer to home I might consider it, but
it's really larger than I was wanting.

-JT
Ken Davey

Jeff Taylor wrote:
[...]

Go to 'Clunkers-r-us', A Babin, prop.

Snort!

Gunner

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:05:11 -0400, Jeff Taylor wrote:

Rex B wrote:
Other than the Spindle through-hole, I have a 10" Atlas that fits the
bill. I also figured on using if for things I wouldn't want to mess up
my good lathes with. But I'd sell it.

Rex B
Fort Worth

I need to be able to put 1-1/4" through the spindle. That knocks out
the Atlas and most of the small South Bends.

Does anyone know if any of the 9" South Bends had 1-3/8" spindles?

-Jeff Taylor

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

please reply to:
Waynemak

The lathes are bigger than you want, the Clover looked ok but is a big
machine 14" swing with 20" swing gap removed. Looked to be well used, not
sure what he would take for it but the bridgeport J head I think $200 would
make him happy, the mill is well used also.
"Waynemak" wrote in message
How much do you want to spend? there was a SB 13 with a rubber flex collet
some chucks for $600 in east haven, hell cut the bed. I will be looking at
a few big ones in the morningdown in Stamford I'll let you know. If you
email your # I can call you when I take a look

Rex B wrote:
Other than the Spindle through-hole, I have a 10" Atlas that fits the
bill. I also figured on using if for things I wouldn't want to mess up
my good lathes with. But I'd sell it.

Rex B
Fort Worth

I need to be able to put 1-1/4" through the spindle. That knocks out the
Atlas and most of the small South Bends.

Does anyone know if any of the 9" South Bends had 1-3/8" spindles?

-Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

-JT
DoN. Nichols

In article , Jeff Taylor wrote:
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

I believe that the Hardinge lathes have the actual spindle taper
as designed for the 5C collets (which originate with Hardinge) *without*
an adaptor needed -- just a drawbar.

If you are spec'ing the diameter through the spindle to make sure
that you can use 5C collets, then they should serve nicely. (I've not
examined one, but I suspect that the spindle has a reduced section to
guide the 5C collet, and then enlarged a bit behind that for the
drawbar. Check it out, if this would suffice for you.

And the largest that a 5C collet will pass through the spindle
will be 1" -- while some collets are available to hold short workpieces
at 1-1/8" maximum.

However, if you *really* need something larger to pass through
the entire spindle *without* the 5C collets, that is a different matter,
and a non-Hardinge lathe might be a better choice.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gunner

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:30:55 -0400, Jeff Taylor wrote:

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

-JT

Some of the Ramco's did indeed. The HSL is a basic 5C spindle

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Jeff Taylor

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:30:55 -0400, Jeff Taylor wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

-JT

Some of the Ramco's did indeed. The HSL is a basic 5C spindle

Gunner

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a Ramco.

-JT

I stopped in last month and didn't see any 10" South Bends. They parted
out the really bad one. I bought what was left of the headstock to make
a large-diameter wheel lathe.

jw

Gunner

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:51:18 -0400, Jeff Taylor wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:30:55 -0400, Jeff Taylor wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

-JT

Some of the Ramco's did indeed. The HSL is a basic 5C spindle

Gunner

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a Ramco.

-JT

Also look for a "Wade" second ops lathe. Some of those were 16C, 1
5/8" or bigger

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
jim rozen

In article , Jeff Taylor says...

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

All the hardinges have 1.25 inch plus spindle bore diameter. That's
the OD of a 5C collet.

Jim

please reply to:

I'm friendly with a local dealer who has 3 Clausing 63xx lathes that
altogether would fit your bill: all are missing something and the
variable speed drives have been replaced with step pulleys. I passed
on trying to make one good one out of the three. They're in Southern
NH
at Risons.com.

Caveat Emptor: I *do* have an interest here as the price on the
Rockwell lathe I got there is still to be determined, so helping him
move these should be to my benefit. Besides, Bob is as nice a guy as
any you'll meet.

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH