DoN. Nichols

In article , Jeff Taylor wrote:
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

What you are wanting is an old Ramco second ops lathe, or even a
Hardinge HSL.

Or an HC.

Jim

Did either of those models have 1-1/4" through the spindle capability?
The small Hardinge lathes that I've seen are all 1-5/32" max.

I believe that the Hardinge lathes have the actual spindle taper
as designed for the 5C collets (which originate with Hardinge) *without*
an adaptor needed -- just a drawbar.

If you are spec'ing the diameter through the spindle to make sure
that you can use 5C collets, then they should serve nicely. (I've not
examined one, but I suspect that the spindle has a reduced section to
guide the 5C collet, and then enlarged a bit behind that for the
drawbar. Check it out, if this would suffice for you.

And the largest that a 5C collet will pass through the spindle
will be 1" -- while some collets are available to hold short workpieces
at 1-1/8" maximum.

However, if you *really* need something larger to pass through
the entire spindle *without* the 5C collets, that is a different matter,
and a non-Hardinge lathe might be a better choice.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564