Jon Anderson

Default Slick tool for "chip in the eye" syndrome

Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon
Koz

Yea,those and similar mirrors work great. I got an "eye mirror" from
american science and surplus for about 2 bucks. Front surface concave
mirror that lets you see every nasty thing in your eye or those things
growing on your nose you didn't know about. No shop should be without
one. Saved me many a time when something felt like it was in my eye but
couldn't be seen any other way.

Koz

Jon Anderson wrote:

Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon

Roy

Something else that works fine for getting a chip or other item out
of the eye is a piece of horse tail. I had a chip adhere to my eye one
time and the Dr, opened up what appeared to be a simple loop of fine
material . He twirled it together at the ends, and fashined a loop
that resembled a noose, and simply drug it accross the eyeball. You
could actually feel the piece contacting the chip, and getting pulled
off. I used to keep a few strands of hair from the horses we had, in a
small stoppered up test tube for emergency chip removal, but presently
don't have a clue where there at. But at least I still have access to
a horse ;-) When I asked him about the device he simply replied it is
a pretty darn good instrument for coming from such a simple
source....a strand of horse tail hair. Then the receptionist / clerk
at the desk ruined my day when she said that will be
$120.00......guess it could have been worse though.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:49:56 -0700, Jon Anderson
wrote:

x-Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
x-and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
x-This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
x-2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
x-viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
x-Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
x-shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
x-the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
x-particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
x-really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
x-one of these handy.
x-
x-And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...
x-
x-Jon

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Bing

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

We normally try to help each other out with the chip or dirt in the eye gig.
It feels a bit strange, but once you get past the gay issue, a guy helpin
with a visor on can see alot better than you can.

Bing

Dean

I work in a place full of ophthalmologists but whenever I get something in
my eye at work I prefer to remove it myself. I am the biggest wuss when it
comes to letting anyone - no matter how qualified they are - poke around in
my eye. My chief likes to roll your eyelids back and I hate that. I would
make a very poor soldier.

However, if I may offer some completely unqualified advice...if you do get
something really stuck in there it is best to have it taken out by a medical
person because if you scratch the cornea ( the clear covering over your iris
and pupil ) while it will heal up it never quite goes back to how it was
originally.

Dean.

Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

Richard W.

What I use quite a bit is a book match. When you tear the match out the torn
end has a bunch of little fuzzes on it. Usually all you have to do is touch
the particle in your eye and it sticks to it.

Richard W.

Bing wrote:

[...]

Leo Lichtman

Larry Jaques wrote: (clip) (BTW, it's "Voilį!")
^^^^^^^^^^^
I think a viola bow is strung with horse hair. So, he meant that a viola
could be used for eye first-aid. g

nick hull

In article ,
"Richard W." wrote:

What I use quite a bit is a book match. When you tear the match out the torn
end has a bunch of little fuzzes on it. Usually all you have to do is touch
the particle in your eye and it sticks to it.

Chew the fuzzy end to get it sticky with YOUR saliva and it easily grabs
stuff out of your eye.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Michael Cameron

If you get a chip from steel or iron in your eye, a magnet will get them out
real quick usually. Old boy who taught at the Community College said " all
us young guys should have a magnet in our tool box for just such an
occasion.

Michael no xx's in address

jim rozen

In article , nick hull
says...

In article ,
"Richard W." wrote:

What I use quite a bit is a book match. When you tear the match out the torn
end has a bunch of little fuzzes on it. Usually all you have to do is touch
the particle in your eye and it sticks to it.

Chew the fuzzy end to get it sticky with YOUR saliva and it easily grabs
stuff out of your eye.

Aack. There was a real eye doctor who posted here on occasion,
I think he's passed out from angst.

FWIW the story about the Gerstner toolboxes is along those lines.
The mirror is in the top lid for exactly this reason, that back
in the old days the sanitary facilities in most shops were primitive
at best, and if you needed to get something out of your eye the
best way to see it was right at your toolbox, in that mirror.
First surface IIRC.

It's not really there for combing yer hair.

Jim

please reply to:

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:24:49 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
pixelated:

Larry Jaques wrote: (clip) (BTW, it's "Voilį!")
^^^^^^^^^^^
I think a viola bow is strung with horse hair. So, he meant that a viola
could be used for eye first-aid. g

OK, that resinates[sic] with me now. groan

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:51:26 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
pixelated:

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:37:51 GMT, the renowned Larry Jaques
wrote:

(BTW, it's "Voilį!")

More like "Voilą!". ;-)

Oops, slip of the finner. Alt+0224, not 0225.
I sit corrected. (Too lazy to stand.)

------------------------------
REAL men don't need free plans
------------------------------
http://diversify.com REAL websites
Max ben-Aaron

Default Viola. Slightly OT (used to be: Slick tool for "chip in the eye" syndrome).

Spehro Pefhany wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:37:51 GMT, the renowned Larry Jaques
wrote:

(BTW, it's "Voilį!")

More like "Voilą!". ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

High their:

This bit about 'viola' reminds me about some programming folklore
that, AFAIK, is not documented anywhere, but deserves to be (in my
opinion).

In the early days (BC - before compilers) an anonymous programmer
cobbled together a huge, badly-designed, complicated, spaghetti-code
assembly-language program, loaded with poorly nested loops and replete
with illegal 'go-to's'. Finally, after many many interminable
debugging sessions, he managed to get the wretched monstrosity to limp
around. In triumph, he changed the last label in the program,
renaming it 'voila'. But he was a poor speller, so he entered 'viola'
instead. So, it became a tradition, in that shop, (and elsewhere)that
the last label in an assembly-language program should always be
'viola'.

Mb-A
William G Darby

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon

I always try to protect my eyes so it was with considerable shock when I
woke and looked in the mirror the other morning. About 50% of the white of
my right eye was a mass of blood. My better half went off the edge when she
saw it and for the life of me I could not understand how I had done this
thing to my eye.

My doctor instantly put my mind at rest. She explained that it is not
uncommon to rupture blood vessels in the eye. (sort of a stroke in the eye,
if you will) Brought on normally by the strain of a cough or sneeze or in
some cases by high blood pressure (etc)

Thankfully it left just about as quickly as it arrived with no adverse
effects.

Bill D

Kirk Gordon

Back in the days when men were men, and women were glad of it, and
machinists turned handles instead of pushing buttons, we had another way
to deal with splinters. We'd haul out the ol' die grinder, and just
grind away at wherever it hurt until the sparks stopped. A belt sander
worked good too, if the appropriate body part was properly shaped for
accessiblity.

It didn't always work perfectly, of course. I remember how mad
nine-finger Newton got, the day he found out that aluminum splinters
don't make sparks. Oh, well. Live and learn.

KG

Jon Anderson wrote:
Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon

Ted Bennett

jim rozen wrote:

Chew the fuzzy end to get it sticky with YOUR saliva and it easily grabs
stuff out of your eye.

Aack. There was a real eye doctor who posted here on occasion,
I think he's passed out from angst.

No, I'm still here and conscious, more or less.

Saliva in the eye isn't very high on the list of things that gross me
out. There are many contact lens wearers who pop their lenses into
their mouths for a quick cleaning or rehydration. Here's some free
advice: don't do that. Use your dog's mouth instead, it's a lot cleaner
than yours.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Ted Edwards

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote: (clip)This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a
focal distance of approx 2" (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This puzzles me. I take it that you are able to look at your own eyeball
with the mirror 2" away. But, how would a dentist use it? Wouldn't he have
to place his eye 2" from your mouth?

Nope. The mirror would have to be 2" or somewhat less from the *tooth*.

I've never seen a dentist do anything
like that. And if my dentist did that, I would be tempted to kiss her on
the lips. :-)

Pretend you didn't read the above and go for it. :-)

Ted

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote: (clip)This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a
focal distance of approx 2" (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This puzzles me. I take it that you are able to look at your own eyeball
with the mirror 2" away. But, how would a dentist use it? Wouldn't he have
to place his eye 2" from your mouth? I've never seen a dentist do anything
like that. And if my dentist did that, I would be tempted to kiss her on
the lips. :-)

You can tune the viewing-eye-to-mirror distance by changing the
mirror-to-object distance. Same with a lens. Get one of the dental
mirrors (they have other uses, too), and check out the behavior -- don't
just speculate about it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Kathy

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon

I've licked a few chips in my day.

Jon Anderson

Leo Lichtman wrote:

But, how would a dentist use it? Wouldn't he have
to place his eye 2" from your mouth?

The mirror's focal distance seems to run between about 1-2" from
whatever you are looking at. I just ballparked the 2" from my eye. It
will still magnify clearly when held at much greater distances from the
eye, just needs to be close to what you're looking at. I'm not an optics
guy, can't explain the whys and whatfors, just know that it lets me look
at my own eyeball with exceptional clarity. I'd been using this when
machining in tight places. I'd asked my dentist about them. He says
they're back surface mirrors and distort the image slightly. He prefers
using front surface mirrors and those neat (but expensive) glasses with
the long standoff lenses. Sorta like a microscope you wear...

Jon
jim

Jon Anderson wrote:

Got a small chip in my eye and was about to head upstairs to remove it
and just happened to notice an old dental mirror on the bench.
This is a concave mirror that magnifies, has a focal distance of approx
2". Held this up to my eye in an area with decent ambient light, and
viola, it was a total piece of cake to gently swipe the chip out with a
Q-tip. This beats the hell out of leaning over the sink and trying to
shine a flashlight in the affected eye while trying to find and remove
the particle. Don't know if I'd want to try to pull an imbedded
particle, but for something just sitting on the eye, this makes it
really really easy. Everyone working with metal or wood ought to have
one of these handy.

And for the safety nannies, yes, I was wearing safety glasses...

Jon

i never wore safety glasses until the cut off wheel on a dremel tool
broke and went into the eye and left 12 pieces of it in one eye.. luck
me the did not go though the eye, just the outside layer..... went to
emergency room.. doctor there could not do too much...(saturday evening)
told me to call up an eye doctor and go to his offic in the morning..
i went home and call up this eye doctor that he gave me his bus. card..
the doctor says: who told you to meet in the office in the morning.. i
tell him the emergency room doctor.. he says OK, see you there at 9:00
am... i go there and he pulls out the stuff and puts some med. on it
tells me to come back in about one week... went to pay him.. no, pay the
girls who work the office when you come back.. i dont know what to do
with the payments... that was 25 yrs. ago.. i dont do nothing now
without eye protection... dont car what kind of idiot i look like with
the glasses on....
jim rozen

In article , Ted
Bennett says...

No, I'm still here and conscious, more or less.

Ah, I still recall your excellent discussion on the
rust ring eraser tool. Thanks.

Saliva in the eye isn't very high on the list of things that gross me
out. There are many contact lens wearers who pop their lenses into
their mouths for a quick cleaning or rehydration. Here's some free
advice: don't do that. Use your dog's mouth instead, it's a lot cleaner
than yours.

I knew a lady who did that (her mouth, not her dogs...) but
she had a variety of other habits that were equally as
horrifying. The same night she did that, she washed down
four birth control pills with a shot of bourbon. "Must
have forgotten these...."

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , jim says...

... dont car what kind of idiot i look like with
the glasses on....

You miss the point sir. To us you would look like the
eedjut without the glasses on. Nobody here would
think twice about smacking somebody upside the head
if they showed up without them in our shop.

Jim

please reply to:

Jon Anderson

jim wrote:

i dont do nothing now without eye protection...
dont car what kind of idiot i look like with
the glasses on....

Most folks seem to think I look like a dork, so safety glasses are
probably an improvement G
But there are the occasional accidents where a lack of safety glasses is
probably a blessing.

http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73146072451726&Avis=TU&Dato=2003 0828&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=108280065&Ref=AR

Survive something like that and you wind up with a belief in God, luck,
or both...

Jon

Eastburn

Not my dog - he just found the 'hide it away for a rainy way' chunk of
something - it was under the table in the office - back in the corner.
Who knows how long it sat there - he came in hunting it out - finally
found
it or one... Figure it had to age a bit.

My Elk Hound used to take a chunk of cheese or bone and dig a hole &
wait for a week
or so. Then dig it out and slobber it down green mold and all. (Good
ole days).

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Ted Bennett wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

Chew the fuzzy end to get it sticky with YOUR saliva and it easily grabs
stuff out of your eye.

Aack. There was a real eye doctor who posted here on occasion,
I think he's passed out from angst.

No, I'm still here and conscious, more or less.

Saliva in the eye isn't very high on the list of things that gross me
out. There are many contact lens wearers who pop their lenses into
their mouths for a quick cleaning or rehydration. Here's some free
advice: don't do that. Use your dog's mouth instead, it's a lot cleaner
than yours.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:17:57 GMT, someone who calls themselves Ted
Bennett wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

Chew the fuzzy end to get it sticky with YOUR saliva and it easily grabs
stuff out of your eye.

Aack. There was a real eye doctor who posted here on occasion,
I think he's passed out from angst.

No, I'm still here and conscious, more or less.

Saliva in the eye isn't very high on the list of things that gross me
out. There are many contact lens wearers who pop their lenses into
their mouths for a quick cleaning or rehydration. Here's some free
advice: don't do that. Use your dog's mouth instead, it's a lot cleaner
than yours.

Unfortunately, anything you put in a dog's mouth usually isn't seen
again until it comes out the other end. And that can't /possibly/ be
very sanitary... ;-)

I wore soft contacts for three or four months, right up till the
first time one popped out as I was 3/4 of the way up climbing a phone
pole on gaffs. -2.75 & -3.25 nearsighted. Once I managed to get back
on the ground safely (climbing by braille & sweating bricks), the
contact lenses went back in their case and never came out again...

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.