dAz

Jack Denver wrote:
This has nothing to do with seriousness and everything to do with skills. If
I wrote to rec.metalworking " I have no prior backgroud or experience in
metal work except that I once opened a tin can and cut myself. How do I
make a watch case out of a block of platinum?" , I would hope you would tell
me honestly that my changes of sucess were small, that I should learn basic
shop skills before undertaking something so challenging and costly and that
usenet was not the proper place to receive an A to Z education on metal
work. Many times people have written to alt.horology with appropriate
questions and they have received detailed answers but this watch is broken
WAAAY beyond the skills of an amateur. Giving some directions for a job that
they will surely botch is not doing them any favor.

yep, and its always the expensive watches they want to play with, the
fact the last service cost him $800 is because he played with it, has no
comprehension of sealing and pressure testing of a watch case means,
that $800 was not just an "overhaul", it was for replacement parts that
were damaged by water.
dAz

Honest John wrote:

Judging by the abuse (in photos and written word) this guy needs to buy a
new G-SHOCK every 5 or 6 years. Leave the delicate Rolexes for the used car
salesmen (as mentioned in another post).

Hi Honest John,

I think you may yet be closer to the chronocentric truth than anyone
else in that all I wanted when I bought my Datejust was an honest
solid, rugged, reliable no-maintenance timepiece which was as
unpretentious (I can't stand gold plated anything!) as humanly
possible.

At the jewelers fifteen years ago, I looked at the Breitlings, Omegas,
Hamiltons, Seikos, even those museum pieces of overpriced crap; and I
soon settled like glue on the unpretentious heavy solid steel and gold
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust as the watch for the rest of my life
(or so I thought).

In my mind, this was the end of replacing batteries, winding crowns,
broken bands, watchband itch, water-fogged crystals, etc. My use model
was to wear it every day and night - in the hot shower, in the
chlorinated pool, camping in the snow, in welding class, in dancing
class, in skating class, in ground school, in massage class, etc. (I
love learning new things so I'm always taking classes).

fine, thing is you bought a high end watch, its like buying a Merc or
Jaguar, you are going have to accept any service or spare parts for it
are going to be dear.

watchmaking takes years to learn to do well, as well as training to
handle very tiny parts, persons with sweaty shaking hands need not
apply, good eye sight with attention to detail.

just leave the Rolex alone, go buy yourself a Seiko 5 auto from ebay,
Orange Monsters go for around $100, it will last you 20years, then chuck
it and buy another, waterresistant to 200m, automatic so no batteries

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Premierwor...ftidZ2QQtZ km

Fundamentally, it turned out not to be true that the Rolex was
maintenance free and reliable (in my use model anyway); so, maybe I
should start a new thread asking:

What is the one rugged reliable maintenance free watch I can wear 24/7
for the rest of my natural life which will work in all kinds of
weather, work, and social occasions?

no such animal, do you run your car 10years straight without an oil
change, tune up, replacement filters, new tyres, Etc, etc, etc.

the Rolex cost you $800 in service because of your stupidity, you played
with it, it cost you, end of story, so stop whingeing about it.

with any water resistant watch that you intend to wear in the water, it
should be checked every 2 years, a prodiver every year just before
diving season.

so either buy a Seiko monster or a Casio G shock
dAz

Tony Hwang wrote:

dAz wrote:

Frank Adam wrote:

What is bewildering to me, is that at times a part simply drops off
the bench never to be found. You followed it falling as far as you
could, so you know where it had to land. Sweep up ten times, nada.
You'll generally trip over it, straight after the new part arrives in
the post. :-)

yep, 9 times out 10 that happens

Murphy's law

Hi,
I drop another one to trace first one.
Chance of recovering both is 50-50, LOL.
Tony

hhehehe, yes I have done that, and it does work more often than not.

if something does spring away I try and watch where it goes, I also
listen to the sound or lack of, if it hits the timber floor, bounces off
the cabinet, hits the plastic box in the corner, pings off the desk
lamp, or if no sound it may have landed on me on my clothes somewhere.

many years ago a friend of mine, a jeweler, was polishing some 2point
diamond stud earings he made up, about ten pairs I think, anyway one of
them snagged on the polishing mop and flicked out of his fingers we
heard it hit something but we could not find it, 8 years later we were
moving shop, we pulled the polishing bench apart and found this dia
stud, it had flicked up out of his fingers and landed on the shelf
behind the polisher, it slipped down a 1/4" gap between the shelf and
wall and lodged in behind the wall panel.

I have had mainspring barrels pop out of my fingers while removing the
mainspring, hit the floor edge on and roll at high speed out into the
next room, would never had found it if I wasn't watching at the time.
Fraser Johnston

wrote in message
ups.com...
Honest John wrote:
[...]

Seiko monster. If you do manage to kill it, it won't be too expensive to
replace. I'd suggest you always keep a reserve handy.

Fraser

Fraser Johnston

wrote in message
oups.com...
If this were a purely financial decision (like which stock to buy or
sell), then it would be easy. Take it to an authorized Rolex dealer.
Pay another $800 which would instantly result in an $1800 dollar watch
on the private market. Whoopie doo. Financial decisions are easy (I buy
& fix cars that way). And my front lawn, I tell the gardener to fix the
patches of crabgrass.

My lawn is a message to my neighbors of who I am (so I pay someone to
take care of it) but I actually don't care much about my lawn. But my
watch isn't a message to anyone. A watch (to me) is supposed to be
rugged and functional and reliable and sturdy and strong. A lawn is
just a pretty showthing to the neighbors.

Point is, you won't see me posting on alt.crabgrass asking all kinds of
simple questions about the green boring stuff on my front lawn that
looks ugly. I pay someone else to have fun with my lawn. Money makes
the grass green.

But, a watch is a very different and personal thing. It's not just
money. The money is nearly meaningless anyway when you pay anything
more than a few hundred dollars for a watch wouldn't you think?

Anyone who says buying a two thousand dollar solid unplated watch is a
purely financial decision doesn't think the way I do, I guess. Despite
the fact the horologic microeconomoc finances have been debated, the
money isn't the main issue at all (otherwise I'd have bought a ten
dollar Casio once a year and be done with it).

Also, sending it out for repair isn't the issue either. Did you ever
take something apart because you were just fascinated about how
beautiful it was? Did you ever wonder what makes it tick; what it was
made of; how to modify its ticking; how to ...

If all I wanted was a working watch, I wouldn't be posting to
alt.horology in the first place. And, since I respect the knowledge of
folks like Richard, Jack, John, Frank, etc., I actually go to the
effort to answer their concerns just as they spend the time and
courtesy to answer mine.

If I didn't love this Rolex, I wouldn't be trying to take it apart!
I'd pay someone else to learn all about it!

Why not split the difference and take it to a watchmaker who will let you
watch him fix it. That way you get to see if repaired and you won't risk
killing it.

Fraser

Fraser Johnston

"dAz" dazb@zipDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
u...
[...]

I'm going to build a perspex fronted box with 2 holes drilled in the front
to stick your arms through. Put some rubber collars on the arm holes and
you will never lose parts again. Think I'll make a million bucks with it?

Fraser

Frank Adam

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:21:17 +0800, "Fraser Johnston"
wrote:

I have had mainspring barrels pop out of my fingers while removing the
mainspring, hit the floor edge on and roll at high speed out into the next
room, would never had found it if I wasn't watching at the time.

I'm going to build a perspex fronted box with 2 holes drilled in the front
to stick your arms through. Put some rubber collars on the arm holes and
you will never lose parts again. Think I'll make a million bucks with it?

Not sure, but you'll certainly get certified. ;-p

--

Regards, Frank
Frank Adam

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:32:04 +1000, dAz dazb@zipDOTcomDOTau wrote:

I have had mainspring barrels pop out of my fingers while removing the
mainspring, hit the floor edge on and roll at high speed out into the
next room, would never had found it if I wasn't watching at the time.

Mmm, close and seal all doors and windows.
Hangon, shutter the windows. My school teacher(r.i.p.) told us about
his repairing a striking clock. Second floor class, street facing.
He was winding the spring back in by hand, when his hand slipped and
the barrel took off through the window, down onto the street taking
the corner and stopped half way down the block in the gutter.
He found it, but it was in the hands of a very confused loking guy
walking back towards the school.

One other guy had a 2.5 carat diamond of a customer's, to fit to a
ring and thought he'd bring it in to watch class to do it.
No probs with that, our classes were pretty relaxed on this stuff.
2 or 3 guys gathered up with him at the window to look at the pretty
stone..
Slip, flick, bounce off window ledge, out the second floor window.
He found it and i don't blame him a bit. Our second year apprentice
wage was 75 bucks a week back then.

--

Regards, Frank
Nick

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:39:05 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:
Probably best to concentrate on one you can change the
'crystal' on yourself too given the way you abuse watches.
Nothing is ever going to be completely maintenance free there.

Why don't you just put the unscratchable saphire crystal on the watch?
You'll never replace a crystal ever again once you go saphire.
the swisswatchguy

Nick wrote:
Nobody who posts here would have that kind of money to waste!

Do you mean to say that

a) this is a poor men's NG. Rich men post to Fortune, Robb Report,
Leaders and the Wall Street Journal. Wealthy do not post, they fly.

b) all participants are so well educated, sensible, clever,
knowledgeable, farsighted and intelligent, that none would ever
dilapidate his well earned heaps of money on such frivolous items?

Appreciating in advance reading your clarification.

- "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W.C. Fields

Fraser Johnston

"the swisswatchguy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nick wrote:
Nobody who posts here would have that kind of money to waste!

Do you mean to say that

a) this is a poor men's NG. Rich men post to Fortune, Robb Report,
Leaders and the Wall Street Journal. Wealthy do not post, they fly.

b) all participants are so well educated, sensible, clever,
knowledgeable, farsighted and intelligent, that none would ever
dilapidate his well earned heaps of money on such frivolous items?

Appreciating in advance reading your clarification.

This guys a troll. And not even a good one.

Fraser

Nick wrote:
Cmon. do you really believe the guy has TWO rolexes? Nobody who posts here
would have that kind of money to waste!

The chance of him having one alone is slim to none as richard already said.

He just WISHED he had a rolex or two at home!

Hi Nick,

I don't blame you for wondering why anyone would have both a dress and
a sport Rolex. In fact, I only accidentally own a dress Rolex because a
friend saw my sport Rolex and then figured I'd like more (which I don't
want any more than one watch ever) - but I couldn't stop them before
they gave another one to me as a gift. Luckily I'm still friends with
them despite their wasted largesse.

Here is a front view of the two Rolex watches (dress & sport)
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/6...exfront9nt.jpg

And here is a back view (against the backdrop of this thread):
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3...lexback3hl.jpg

If you need more proof before you'll help me, please just let me know.

Rusty

Gunner

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:12:15 +1000, dAz dazb@zipDOTcomDOTau wrote:

so either buy a Seiko monster or a Casio G shock

Did Seiko get the bugs worked out of the Kenitic Quartz?
Are the solar G-shocks worth the bucks reliability wise?

I have a square faced, 3 dial Seiko auto chronograph. Start.stop
buttons are located at the 12 oclock position, rather then the usual 9
and 3. It still runs, but the winder weight bushing is badly worn.
Ive taken it to a couple watch makers,..battery changers basicly..and
no one knows anything about them or wanted to fix it.
In fact,...one of them ****ed up my Commander quartz. No longer
chimes, and will only run for a few minutes at a time.

Got any suggestions on how to ID the first watch, and who to send it
to for repair? Same with the quartz.

Gunner, G-shock 24/7, various Seikos for dress. Soviet pin lever
for fun.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
dAz

Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:12:15 +1000, dAz dazb@zipDOTcomDOTau wrote:

so either buy a Seiko monster or a Casio G shock

Did Seiko get the bugs worked out of the Kenitic Quartz?

the newer models are supposed to be better, still wouldn't buy one but

Are the solar G-shocks worth the bucks reliability wise?

well they are very tough, for heavy sports activity they are great.

I have a square faced, 3 dial Seiko auto chronograph. Start.stop
buttons are located at the 12 oclock position, rather then the usual 9
and 3. It still runs, but the winder weight bushing is badly worn.
Ive taken it to a couple watch makers,..battery changers basicly..and
no one knows anything about them or wanted to fix it.
In fact,...one of them ****ed up my Commander quartz. No longer
chimes, and will only run for a few minutes at a time.

yeah I remember those, not as common as the others, the model number is
on the case back, 8 digit number with a dash in the middle, something
like 6139-6500

some parts are still available, certainly repairable, what area are you
in? I am sure someone here can recommend a watchmaker near you to repair
both watches.

Got any suggestions on how to ID the first watch, and who to send it
to for repair? Same with the quartz.

give me the case number so I can see if there is a service manual for
it, also the serial number so I can date the watch.
Gunner

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:39:17 +1000, dAz dazb@zipDOTcomDOTau wrote:

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Ill dig it out this weekend

Gunner, California

for torturing the cat." Gunner

JohnM

Noah Little wrote:

You might find that two watches would simplify things. There is no
dress watch that will stand up to that sort of punishment (your Datejust
is considered a sport watch rather than a dress watch), and the watch
that will work under all the conditions you've described isn't something
you would wear with a suit.

Hi Noah,

Interestingly, as an aside, I *do* have a Rolex dress watch! I didn't
buy it (and I never would have). I received it as a wedding gift from
friends who *thought* I cared about Rolex brand, per se. They didn't
realize my choice of a Rolex Datejust had absolutely nothing to do with
Rolex, as a brand, but more to do with the fact the watch "appeared" to
be solidly maintenance free and ruggedly sturdy.

This particular Rolex (I don't even know what the model is) is a
fragile thin manually wound leather banded delicate "dress watch" which
I keep in the same parts drawer as all my other broken watches. If
anyone doesn't believe me about this useless (to me) Rolex gift, I'd be
glad to photo it in any situation you deem would prove it as I don't
want to go through that ridicule again.

I like to see a photograph of it squeezed to about 2/3 its normal width
in a vise..

;-)

Anyway.. back when I tried to wear watches the thing that killed them
was welding. Get the cable wrapped around your arm and work a while,
that baby is likely not going to work again. Maybe get a good quality
pocket watch, that's what I did. I eventually quit carrying that too,
but it worked.

John