dAz

Jack Denver wrote:
This has nothing to do with seriousness and everything to do with skills. If
I wrote to rec.metalworking " I have no prior backgroud or experience in
metal work except that I once opened a tin can and cut myself. How do I
make a watch case out of a block of platinum?" , I would hope you would tell
me honestly that my changes of sucess were small, that I should learn basic
shop skills before undertaking something so challenging and costly and that
usenet was not the proper place to receive an A to Z education on metal
work. Many times people have written to alt.horology with appropriate
questions and they have received detailed answers but this watch is broken
WAAAY beyond the skills of an amateur. Giving some directions for a job that
they will surely botch is not doing them any favor.

yep, and its always the expensive watches they want to play with, the
fact the last service cost him $800 is because he played with it, has no
comprehension of sealing and pressure testing of a watch case means,
that $800 was not just an "overhaul", it was for replacement parts that
were damaged by water.