Christopher Tidy

Default Anyone seen a lamp like this before?

Hi all,

Just got back from spending a few days on holiday in Berlin. I stayed at
a cheap-but-nice place which used to be a telephone factory (take a look
at www.diefabrik.com if you're thinking of going to Berlin - you guys
would probably like the place). Anyway I digress a little, but the place
was fitted out using many Cold War era lamps, desks and fixtures which I
thought looked really cool.

Then one night I went for a walk and noticed a huge complex of derelict
buildings, probably 50 acres or so. It turned out to be an old East
German railway rolling stock maintenance depot. When the wall came down
they had two depots within a couple of miles of each other, so they
closed one, removed all the gear and abandoned it. Nowadays it has been
pretty comprehensively trashed and, apart from the odd sign warning of
"unfallgefahr", you can wander around the place pretty freely. Some
squatters have even set up an nightclub on the site. Given my love of
old junk and also a fascination for derelict buildings, I couldn't
resist a look. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me, but brought back a
couple of things from among the piles of waste on the site:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/stuff1.jpg

Obviously there are a pair of Bourdon pressure gauges (apparently these
look pretty weird under an x-ray scanner!) and one of those Cold War era
lamps I was talking about. Unfortunately the lamp glass is broken, but I
thought I'd pick it up anyway and try to find a replacement. It looks
like the glass has been sprayed red on the inside, probably so that it
could be used as some kind of signalling lamp. Has anyone seen a lamp
like this before? It's marked with a logo made from the letters "EOW"
and also carries the letters "Ex" and "Sch", both inside circles. The
whole thing is very heavy and the cage isn't made from wire, it's round
bar! I also need a weird triangular spanner to open the case. That blast
cabinet I was talking to Harold about would be useful too! Here are a
few more pictures:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/lamp1.jpg
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/lamp2.jpg
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/lamp3.jpg
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/lamp4.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts about where to find a new glass dome, or how to
make one? Interesting challenge...

Sorry for the long post!

Best wishes,

Chris

David Billington

Mate of mine runs www.source-antiques.co.uk and has lights of this style
occasionally, also glass that might fit. Other than that I do some
glassblowing and know a couple of people who could blow one. Where about
in the world are you.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

[...]

Christopher Tidy

David Billington wrote:
Mate of mine runs www.source-antiques.co.uk and has lights of this style
occasionally, also glass that might fit. Other than that I do some
glassblowing and know a couple of people who could blow one. Where about
in the world are you.

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Shropshire, England. I had a look at
the Source Antiques site but can't see any lights of this design on
there at the moment, but there is some pretty nice other stuff. Maybe I
should e-mail him a picture of the lamp and see if he can get the glass?
I'm not bothered about the glass being red as I want to use the lamp for
ordinary lighting.

The globe is essentially a cylinder with a hemisphere on the end and
about 1/4" thick. I think it probably has a lip on the upper end but I
can't tell for sure as I haven't been able to disassemble the lamp yet.
Do you think it would be straightforward enough to blow?

Best wishes,

Chris

Nick Müller

Christopher Tidy wrote:

and one of those Cold War era lamps I was talking about.

"cold war era"? Huh! It's an old lamp from the former DDR. That's it.
Nothing military-related.

Has anyone seen a lamp like this before?

Not too uncommon. The only difference is the cast housing. But ...

and also carries the letters "Ex" and "Sch", both inside circles.

It means "Explosion" = explosion and "Schutz" = protection.
"Ex"-stuff is used mostly in mines and means that it won't spark when
switched on/off. I guess that the "Sch" means here, that it is water
tight (spray water). I would say that they used it because of it's
rudgedized design.

HTH,
Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Tim Wescott

Christopher Tidy wrote:
[...]

Do you mean beyond the fact that you see lamps with that general design
anwhere that a heavy-duty, rugged lamp is needed? Caged lamps light
that are everywhere; we have at least four of them lighting up our barn
-- the cage keeps the glass from shattering all over the horses if they
start to act up.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

David Billington

I thought you were UK based. Might be best to email a photo to Rod
Donaldson at Source with some dimensions, he's on broadband. He may have
something stashed away. Not everything is on the site.

Blowing it should not be difficult, if it requires a flange at the top
then it will most likely have to have a punty mark at the bottom but
this can be ground out and polished. If no flange, just straight sided,
then the piece could be cut from the blown item leaving what you want
without requiring a punty.

The punty is the small piece of glass used to hold the glass to another
iron when the piece is transfered from the blowing iron.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:

[...]

Christopher Tidy

Nick Müller wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

and one of those Cold War era lamps I was talking about.

"cold war era"? Huh! It's an old lamp from the former DDR. That's it.
Nothing military-related.

When I said "Cold War era" I just meant something that was made in
Eastern Europe sometime between 1960 and 1980. I didn't mean anything
military-related. Maybe I'm using the phrase incorrectly, but I'm not a
military historian.

Has anyone seen a lamp like this before?

Not too uncommon. The only difference is the cast housing. But ...

and also carries the letters "Ex" and "Sch", both inside circles.

It means "Explosion" = explosion and "Schutz" = protection.
"Ex"-stuff is used mostly in mines and means that it won't spark when
switched on/off. I guess that the "Sch" means here, that it is water
tight (spray water). I would say that they used it because of it's
rudgedized design.

That's interesting to know the meaning of the "Ex" and "Sch" marks. I
read online that those triangular-headed bolts are often used on
equipment designed for explosive environments, but so far I can't find
anywhere that sells the right spanner (M6 I think it is). Might see if I
can get one of those electricity meter box keys. Looking closely it also
says "geprueft" between the "Ex" and "Sch" marks. Does that roughly mean
"proven" or "tested" in translation?

Thanks for the information,

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Do you mean beyond the fact that you see lamps with that general design
anwhere that a heavy-duty, rugged lamp is needed? Caged lamps light
that are everywhere; we have at least four of them lighting up our barn
-- the cage keeps the glass from shattering all over the horses if they
start to act up.

No, I meant this exact lamp. I've seen a fair number of similar ones
too, but never one as heavy and solid as this. This is probably the
weight of a brick!

Chris

Christopher Tidy

David Billington wrote:
I thought you were UK based. Might be best to email a photo to Rod
Donaldson at Source with some dimensions, he's on broadband. He may have
something stashed away. Not everything is on the site.

Blowing it should not be difficult, if it requires a flange at the top
then it will most likely have to have a punty mark at the bottom but
this can be ground out and polished. If no flange, just straight sided,
then the piece could be cut from the blown item leaving what you want
without requiring a punty.
The punty is the small piece of glass used to hold the glass to another
iron when the piece is transfered from the blowing iron.

Thanks for the information. I need to get a triangular spanner before I
can disassemble the lamp, then I'll take some photos and e-mail the
dimensions to Rod. If he hasn't got anything I might get back to you
about the glass blowing.

Best wishes,

Chris

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Do you mean beyond the fact that you see lamps with that general design
anwhere that a heavy-duty, rugged lamp is needed? Caged lamps light that
are everywhere; we have at least four of them lighting up our barn -- the
cage keeps the glass from shattering all over the horses if they start to
act up.

No, I meant this exact lamp. I've seen a fair number of similar ones too,
but never one as heavy and solid as this. This is probably the weight of a
brick!

We use lamps of almost exactly that construction in the pyro trade for
lighting work areas where explosive powders are present.

According to NFPA, there's nothing that actually qualifies as "explosion
proof", but there are dustproof lamp enclosures that qualify for use in
explosive dust environments. A different type is required for explosive
gasses.

LLoyd

Nick Müller

Christopher Tidy wrote:

When I said "Cold War era" I just meant something that was made in
Eastern Europe sometime between 1960 and 1980.

That's OK. "cold war" for me means something different. YMMV.

That's interesting to know the meaning of the "Ex" and "Sch" marks. I
read online that those triangular-headed bolts are often used on
equipment designed for explosive environments,

It's often used for "restricted" access. For example the FD uses some
triangular locks on doors, cabinets, poles etc.

it also says "geprueft" between the "Ex" and "Sch" marks. Does that
roughly mean "proven" or "tested" in translation?

it means tested in the sense of approved.

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Bill Janssen

Christopher Tidy wrote:

[...]

I have seen lamps that looked like that on Navy ships. They were used as
"night lights" and the
red color was so as to not destroy your night vision. You could take a
break from watch duty
and return and still have the night vision.

Of course anything for the Navy was sturdy.
Try marine suppliers for replacements.

Bill k7NOM
lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ignoramus18077 wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:41:41 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/stuff1.jpg

Obviously there are a pair of Bourdon pressure gauges (apparently these
look pretty weird under an x-ray scanner!) and one of those Cold War era
lamps I was talking about. Unfortunately the lamp glass is broken, but I
thought I'd pick it up anyway and try to find a replacement. It looks
like the glass has been sprayed red on the inside, probably so that it
could be used as some kind of signalling lamp. Has anyone seen a lamp
like this before?

I have seen them in the USSR. They used to use these in construction
sites for some purposes, I forgot which. Like marking cranes etc.

Naval lamps are like that. Right and left - :-) Christmas colors.

I have a Japanese lamp that is very close in design.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Tom Miller

guys would probably like the place). Anyway I digress a little, but
the place was fitted out using many Cold War era lamps, desks and
fixtures which I thought looked really cool.

It looks like the glass has been sprayed red on the
inside, probably so that it could be used as some kind of signalling
lamp. Has anyone seen a lamp like this before? It's marked with a logo
made from the letters "EOW" and also carries the letters "Ex" and
"Sch", both inside circles. The whole thing is very heavy and the cage
isn't made from wire, it's round bar! I also need a weird triangular

The Ex means that it is approved for use in an explosive atmosphere. I don't
recognise the other letters
Tom

Grady

Is the base size a standard medium thread base or is it larger, as in a
mogul base?

wrote:

[...]

Newsgroups
=----

Bill Janssen

wrote:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/stuff1.jpg

Obviously there are a pair of Bourdon pressure gauges (apparently
these look pretty weird under an x-ray scanner!) and one of those
Cold War era lamps I was talking about. Unfortunately the lamp glass
is broken, but I thought I'd pick it up anyway and try to find a
replacement. It looks like the glass has been sprayed red on the
inside, probably so that it could be used as some kind of signalling
lamp. Has anyone seen a lamp like this before?

I have seen them in the USSR. They used to use these in construction
sites for some purposes, I forgot which. Like marking cranes etc.

Naval lamps are like that. Right and left - :-) Christmas colors.

I have a Japanese lamp that is very close in design.

Martin

Ut is NOT a running light as they have light baffle's so that they can
be seen
at specified angles.

Bill k7NOM
Christopher Tidy

Grady wrote:
Is the base size a standard medium thread base or is it larger, as in a
mogul base?

Do you mean the base of the bulb? I can't be certain yet, because I
haven't been able to extract the remains of the bulb, but from below it
looks like a standard Edison screw fitting.

Chris

Grady

More than like it is just a standard incandescent lamp. Very doubtful that
it was any type of HID lighting. The portion of the filament assembly that
is left looks like a common incandescent. Earlier post regarding xp for
explosion proof could very likely be correct, possibly class 2 device. This
is a typical design today for such fixtures from Crouse Hinds, Appleton, OZ
Gedney and others.

wrote:

[...]

I don't have a bulb in it, It was broken when it was brought up.
(The ship went through an Atomic blast.)
And it was in somewhat deep (for us) water.

But it looks the same - just the insulation is a bit flaky - someday soon
I plan on mounting it and another lamp I have plus three portholes.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Thanks bill - but this was war time and anything goes. Often tape.
The U.S. Coast Guard developed a lot of the rules, with some coming from sailing ships.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Christopher Tidy

lionslair at consolidated dot net wrote:
I don't have a bulb in it, It was broken when it was brought up.
(The ship went through an Atomic blast.)
And it was in somewhat deep (for us) water.

But it looks the same - just the insulation is a bit flaky - someday soon
I plan on mounting it and another lamp I have plus three portholes.

Martin

Thanks for all the information about the lamp. Martin, if I find a
source for replacement glass globes would you like me to let you know
about it?

Best wishes,

Chris

Christopher Tidy wrote:

lionslair at consolidated dot net wrote:

I don't have a bulb in it, It was broken when it was brought up.
(The ship went through an Atomic blast.)
And it was in somewhat deep (for us) water.

But it looks the same - just the insulation is a bit flaky - someday soon
I plan on mounting it and another lamp I have plus three portholes.

Martin

Thanks for all the information about the lamp. Martin, if I find a
source for replacement glass globes would you like me to let you know
about it?

Best wishes,

Chris

Both of my globes - one small fist size with a cage over it and a larger beauty
in bronze and frosted globe are both in good shape glass and bronze wise. The insides
are the stumbling point - do I leave a 50 year old war relic as is or make it usable
on the to be port holed yard barn. Time will tell.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

wrote:

http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/stuff1.jpg

Obviously there are a pair of Bourdon pressure gauges (apparently
these look pretty weird under an x-ray scanner!) and one of those
Cold War era lamps I was talking about. Unfortunately the lamp glass
is broken, but I thought I'd pick it up anyway and try to find a
replacement. It looks like the glass has been sprayed red on the
inside, probably so that it could be used as some kind of signalling
lamp. Has anyone seen a lamp like this before?

I have seen them in the USSR. They used to use these in construction
sites for some purposes, I forgot which. Like marking cranes etc.

Naval lamps are like that. Right and left - :-) Christmas colors.

I have a Japanese lamp that is very close in design.

Martin

I should have said - not Japanese - but German. At one time it was said to be
but proved otherwise. - Little things like names and stamps on metal.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life