Nick Müller

Christopher Tidy wrote:

and one of those Cold War era lamps I was talking about.

"cold war era"? Huh! It's an old lamp from the former DDR. That's it.
Nothing military-related.

Has anyone seen a lamp like this before?

Not too uncommon. The only difference is the cast housing. But ...

and also carries the letters "Ex" and "Sch", both inside circles.

It means "Explosion" = explosion and "Schutz" = protection.
"Ex"-stuff is used mostly in mines and means that it won't spark when
switched on/off. I guess that the "Sch" means here, that it is water
tight (spray water). I would say that they used it because of it's
rudgedized design.

HTH,
Nick

--