Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Do you mean beyond the fact that you see lamps with that general design
anwhere that a heavy-duty, rugged lamp is needed? Caged lamps light that
are everywhere; we have at least four of them lighting up our barn -- the
cage keeps the glass from shattering all over the horses if they start to
act up.

No, I meant this exact lamp. I've seen a fair number of similar ones too,
but never one as heavy and solid as this. This is probably the weight of a
brick!

We use lamps of almost exactly that construction in the pyro trade for
lighting work areas where explosive powders are present.

According to NFPA, there's nothing that actually qualifies as "explosion
proof", but there are dustproof lamp enclosures that qualify for use in
explosive dust environments. A different type is required for explosive
gasses.

LLoyd